Has anyone ever heard of bi-polar disorder type 2?

1. Coach Ellen profile image68
    Coach Ellenposted 6 years ago

Has anyone ever heard of bi-polar disorder type 2?

2. Kate Spenser profile image84
    Kate Spenserposted 6 years ago

Bi-polar type 2 is basically more depressive episodes than manic episodes, and if I'm remembering correctly, the swings aren't as sharp (not as high and low as with type 1 bi-polar) or as frequent (swings can last longer and happen less frequently) than with "traditional" bi-polar disorder. I think it's starting to become more well-known as some celebrities with bi-polar type 2 have gone public about their diagnosis.

3. RandomThoughts... profile image79
    RandomThoughts...posted 6 years ago

Yes...This is a less extreme version of bipolar I.

Answer: According to the definition in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV), bipolar II disorder (also known as bipolar 2 disorder or bipolar type 2) is "characterized by one or more major depressive episodes accompanied by at least one hypomanic episode." The key difference between bipolar 1 and bipolar 2 is that bipolar 2 has hypomanic but not manic episodes, meaning the symptoms of mania are generally less severe in type 2. Also, while those with bipolar I disorder may experience additional psychotic symptoms such as delusions and hallucinations, bipolar II by definition cannot have psychotic features.

I copied this...but there are some wonderful books explaining the differences, meds, survival guides for people with bipolar, friends and family too.

Good Luck smile  I hope this helps