If you are a 99 percenter what is the ONE most important issue for you?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

If you are a 99 percenter what is the ONE most important issue for you?

The masses have thousands of specific problems, life challenges, resources, dreams, goals and concerns.

It would be interesting to know which is the most important single issue for a person.

2. brages07 profile image59
    brages07posted 12 years ago

I believe we must increase the minimum wage as well as create a maximum wage.  We also need to replace the corporate model with with workplace democracy.  As Ralph Nader said, charity and social programs are nice, but why not have a fairer society in the first place?

3. Robephiles profile image92
    Robephilesposted 12 years ago

Well, there has been a single answer to what would solve the concerns that the occupy Wall Street protesters and even some of the tea party protesters have. That is to stop the ability of corporate interests to buy politicians. 

The way to do this is by adding an amendment to the constitution that establishes that corporations do not have the rights of individuals (negating the supreme court decision saying otherwise) and limiting the amount of money that an individual or entity can give to a political campaign to an amount within reach of most people.

4. fancifulashley profile image67
    fancifulashleyposted 12 years ago

The most important thing for me is reducing the costs of secondary/continuous education. Many people are talented, even skilled, at certain things, but cannot find jobs due to lack of education. The cost of a college education in this country is ridiculous, which prevents many people from pursuing a degree. This hinders them from getting a job. Even those that go to school cannot find jobs and then they have to pay off these huge loans. Changing that education system would make things a lot easier for people.

5. ttagpine profile image73
    ttagpineposted 12 years ago

Can't give a single answer, all tied together.
    1, The ungodly greed of so many of the 1%'s. They've been getting tax cuts for so long that they think taking those cuts away would be tax hikes. They were given those cuts in order to create new jobs for legal Americans! This doesn't seem to be happening. My guess is that money is in banks making more money. Or buying new European sports cars for their kids.
    2. The petroleum based economy. 1 year after the worst oil spill in American history, BP has reported record high profits. How does that happen? We are paying for it at the pump! If the price for fuel was more reasonable, people would have more money to spend...Boosting the economy...Which would help create new jobs.
    3. Bring back some of the jobs farmed out to other countries. If that were to happen, most of the 99%'s would be working instead of demonstrating.
    4. Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country! We should make the 1%'s write this quote one trillion times on the chalk board!
    5. Have the entire government work a 40 hour week, 51 weeks per year, with 1 week, per year paid vacation for minimum wage....& no expense accounts.

6. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

This is great. So far, there's
    living wage,
    end corporate personhood,
    lower costs of secondary education and
    no way to separate several issues.

I am for living wages or subsidies for subsistence when people are working.

I am all for ending corporate personhood in any form, as well as criminalizing lobbying of any type. That's my number one issue.

I am also for kids graduating high school with the skills to get a job! Forget English Lit and teach these kids some work skills if they choose.

7. thebigbagblog profile image61
    thebigbagblogposted 12 years ago

Wow...I don't think I can answer this in less than a Hub. Mainly, because people naturally want know the reasoning behind your thoughts.

I have been a participant in varying ways  with the Occupy Movement. I have been at protests, networked with some protesters, and written the occasional simple article. All in all, there are a lot of  "like to see" positions that the 99% would like to see realized. I know this much, we are tip toeing on a razors edge that brings us dangerously closer to total civil unrest. I don't believe that things aren't salvageable, but it will take compromises on both sides to keep us from total upheaval.

8. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

for me it's this need people have to want everything even though they can't afford it and then they later blame others for their financial problems. these people shop at stores that do nothing to help the economy like walmart and dollar stores, they buy from huge companies and then whine when the CEO's become rich. you are the folks that drive me crazy.

9. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 12 years ago

The 53% counter movement versus the 99% - hey wait - that 150% total!

Disturbing sign for this class war is to divide n conquer - characterizing the protesters as a bunch of idiots when the basis of our country is based on protest against plutocracy

10. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 12 years ago

Peace is the most important issue for me. That means we pull troops out of other countries, we stop supporting dictators, and we stop engaging in paramilitary activities in other countries. We move to a peacetime economy. We use trade and diplomacy to leverage other countries, not threats of war. War is just a public relations racket that makes a few people richer.

11. lostdogrwd profile image60
    lostdogrwdposted 12 years ago

to put the oil companies, banks,and insurance companies out of business and for the 99% start 99% banks, oil companies, and insurance companies and farms

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)