Are genetically engineered food for health?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. rajan jolly profile image92
    rajan jollyposted 12 years ago

Are genetically engineered food  for health?

2. Ivel01 profile image60
    Ivel01posted 12 years ago

The truth is that it requires decades of research still to really find out ... opinions of scientists are mostly incoherent, althought they seem to be causing no harm as such, they are not around long enough to evaluate long term effects and to evaluate whether or not heirloom foods and  vegetables e.g. would be better ...  They are FDA approved, but without no real study to back up their safety (so it appears) - the following are 2 interesting articles on the subject:

- http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php? … p;aid=8148
    - http://www.actionbioscience.org/biotech/pusztai.html

3. Dr. Haddox profile image61
    Dr. Haddoxposted 12 years ago

I have friends who are "world classed" researchers working daily, studying effects of genetically engineered foods (GMOs), adverse effects or other effects, on humans and animals. There are those populations in the global community who only have engineered foods available to them. If they did not have the genetically engineered foods, they would have no foods, and would die of starvation. If one dies from eating genetically engineered foods, it will take time, that is over time, one will die of cancer or other chronic illnesses, maybe, and that is a "big maybe." From a scientific point of view, we still don't have all the facts on GMOs yet. But in the case of those people in the world who depend on genetically engineered foods, and can get no other foods to eat, death will come quick and absolutely without the GMO foods. Are genetically engineered foods good for health? My answer is, "I am not sure, yet." I am a owner of an organic farm. I raise organic animals and plants for foods. This is a difficult situation for me. I am a doctor who have been educated at the best of American Universities, at two quality medical schools in the U.S.A., as a matter of fact. I would like to know for sure what an honest and right answer to your question is, but I can only answer your question in a manner that is ethical and honest. Thank you. Best regards, Dr. Haddox

4. rlaha profile image60
    rlahaposted 12 years ago

I am not sure that genetically engineered food is such a great idea myself, but if it has some benefits for the health then why not?  As long as the food includes similar or increased nutrients essential to the body then I would be a big fan of genetically engineered foods.  That is a great question!

5. hirundine profile image60
    hirundineposted 12 years ago

I think I'm understanding this question? That, are genetically engineered foods healthy? That's how I shall answer the question.

In some ways most human food has been altered. Often by genetics, through deliberate selection, for whatever traits we wish from the plant. The deliberate introduction of genetic material for other reasons. e.g. DNA from fish; or for resistance from pesticides. I see as insidious.

One of the prime motivators for products resistant to pesticides, is Monsanto. From their labs we are given "roundup ready" products like canola; or what was once known as "rapeseed", for oil. Round-up in an earlier life was known as "Agent Orange". Used in that part of Asia that held the Viet-Nam conflict in 60's and 70's.

The draconian measures adopted by this company, under the pretext of "copyright protection". Has driven a number of small farms under financially; especially in places like India. These small farms are then gobbled up by large agro-businesses. Even if the organic farmer next door, who is not using their products. Then pollination by natural means, has seen Monsanto successfully sue these farmers. For robbing them of their patents? BTW. Studies have already shown that the insects and plants not wanted in among the intended crop. Change their DNA structure within a few generations, so they are able to return to those pastures. Where they are deemed "undesirable".

Now with an enlarging population, it is claimed that humanity needs these products for better efficiency of crop yield to cope, with keeping us all fed?

Health? Well there is information out there. Yet little is known on the long or short-term effects on health, since most of the studies done were paid for by Monsanto, etc.

Personally, I try to avoid any foods suspected of being GMO. However, the labelling laws make it almost impossible for the consumer to know what is, or is not, GMO foods.

For me, genetic splicing. Seems like an un-natural and by extension un-healthy. Way of providing the necessity of life; food. I suspect that most people feel that way too?

6. Mercia Collins profile image64
    Mercia Collinsposted 12 years ago

it depends how they are genetically engineered. There has not been enough time yet to know the long term effect that they may have on the human body and on human health.  The food industry has fooled us before, we were all told that margarine containing hydrogenated fats was better for human health than butter.

7. Dolores Cole profile image40
    Dolores Coleposted 12 years ago

No I do not believe it is healthier for you. Isay this because I believe most of the over weight people today have this problem because of what they put in our food to perserve it and grow it. This probably why more and more people are haveing health problems in the world today.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)