What's your take on the whole numbers game here.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. CloudExplorer profile image76
    CloudExplorerposted 12 years ago

What's your take on the whole numbers game here.

Everyone on hubpages is motivated by differing things, such as hubscore and number of followers, accolades, stats, potential traffic increases/decreases, number of comments etc....

Whats your take on it all?

2. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

I'm an experienced writer with 20+ years in.  I can tell you right now that I will not be making the transition from newspaper features reporter to online writer anytime soon.  I have no interest in the numbers game played here.  My days as a newspaper reporter are done, but I will always treasure the experience because it will never come again.  People come and go, and so will the money.  Online work pays pennies, and you have to work 3x as hard because of the "competition."  People online are not what they seem, so I ignore the sell jobs about their stats and how much they are making.  I just write.  I am retired and have a pension.  I am not money-based.  Gone are the days when I have to chase the money.  I still do freelance work, but only on my own terms.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 12 years ago

I try not to worry too much about any of it. It's nice to have a decent # of followers, I suppose, and of course it's nice to check your # of views and see that a lot of people have been checking out your work, but most of these #'s are  beyond your control so I see no reason to get all O.C.D. about it.

4. UnnamedHarald profile image93
    UnnamedHaraldposted 12 years ago

I think they are great feedback in general, giving some indication of what's working and what's not. Individually, they are not worth worrying about and not worth trying to game the system for. I look at them as trend indicators and just write the best I can.

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 12 years ago

I am fairly new, but I can say that I like the feedback one gets on this site.  I do wish I could find a way to get more google page views.  Out of 280 I only have 7!  Don't know why that is, but I know if I can't get google to show my work, I won't get the ad money or the numbers of people I'd like to have reading my stuff.

6. Laura Matkin profile image79
    Laura Matkinposted 12 years ago

Ego and competition are part of the human experience.  The Hub is set up  really well in that it feeds the ego and encourages competition, education and socialization.  There are many good results from writing a Hub, everything from just being heard or helping someone to fame, fortune and respect. 

I think when a person first joins and writes a Hub if just one person listens that was awesome.  Then a article does well and one person isn't enough anymore so begins the analyzing and competing.  I think the Hub is quite engaging and addictive in a good way.

7. DougBerry profile image80
    DougBerryposted 12 years ago

I just try to maximize my page views. 

I'm not concerned about my personal hubscore or where my individual hubs start.  As my stuff gets read, you either like it or you don't.  I have no influence on comments, voting up/down, or anything else.  I just do what I do and see what happens.

Part of this is just an exercise.  I got out of the habit of writing and am trying to get back in.  I have always been one of those people who has to have a dollar sign attached to something to make me do it.  This provides that, albeit tiny. 

The accolades are basically useless.  Except for the ones for Hub of the Day or a HubNugget, most of them have absolutely nothing to do with anything except cranking out hubs or dinking around here in the Q&A or the Forums.  What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?  I know not.

I've seen people with horrible writing samples and relatively high scores and high numbers of accolades.  I've collected a fair amount in the couple of weeks that I've been here.  "I have a Level XIX Commentorium with Triple Pips," is really pretty meaningless.  Isn't it?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)