Does discrimination still fly in your neighborhood, town or city?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. albertovich profile image60
    albertovichposted 12 years ago

Does discrimination still fly in your neighborhood, town or city?

In a way we are all racist, predigest, bias but why?

2. bwmetters11 profile image58
    bwmetters11posted 12 years ago

Discrimination is an abhorrent part of life, but it is innate within us. On a base level we assess threats through the use of stereotypes, so when I walk down the street I am less likely to keep an eye on my phone if I am followed by an old lady on a mobility scooter than if I was being followed by a gang of hooded young men. There is nothing to say the old lady couldn't pull a gun and relieve me of my phone and wallet, it is just less likely.

Racism and discrimination in general can be placed at the feet of the purveyors of these negative stereotypes, whether that be the press, politicians or the gobby man in the corner of the pub. Some members of society have the moral capacity to be able to distinguish between a stereotype based in fact and a stereotype based in bigotry and ignorance, I guess others haven't quite grasped that skill yet.

3. profile image53
    joe scaliseposted 12 years ago

Discrimination is a societal ill that can't be vaccinated against and not veryone is immune to.  This is passed down from generation to generation but can also be acquired without familial influence. Discrimination comes in a variety pack. It spans all discernable differences whether it be race, color, creed, nationality,gender, sexual preference,party affiliation, economic standing  political beliefs, hair color,wieght,,height, facial features or sound of voice.  Yes unfortunately there will always be some form of dicrimination

4. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years ago

Yes, I believe it does and always will. 

I see discrimination as part of the primitive fear/fright/flight instinct which remains within us from a very distant past. 

Anything different or strange brings an automatic, survival-instinct reaction.  "Beware of that, it might harm me."  Until I get to know what it is; what it does; what it eats; does it intend to hit me, or hurt me, or eat me? - I take evasive action first.  Then if that seems to fail in getting rid of it, I might turn and threaten it back.  In the last resort I will defend myself, even take the initiative and attack first.

That's if I am alone.  If I have a band of supporters around me, then I can afford to be more bold in all respects.  There's safety in a crowd.  Indeed, if most of the members of my crowd think and act in a common way, then I am best going along with them, being one of them, otherwise they might attack ME as being different.

I suggest that understanding this process, the way in which we are genetically programmed to act, allows us then to use our human brains, and work out other ways of dealing with difference.  We could, for example, speed up the process of getting closer to those who are different and learning more about them.  This could well lead to actually liking them. 

So, the threat has passed,  no more difference, relax, live a life.

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 12 years ago

I do not think we are all racists. I think we are all fearful of the unknown and that is viewed as racism.

Racists do exist. I have lived in the south all my life and have seen first hand the agony caused by bigotry and racism. I have also seen progress. My wife, a semi-retired Catholic School teacher taught in her last school that had  90 percent African-American Population and most of those were non-Catholics. The school was in a neighborhood that was once predominately white,but the white flight of the 1960s has turned it into predominately African American. However, whenever a student sees my wife, they will always stop to hug her, even if they had not been her class for several years. When she taught a a predominately white school, she was one of few teachers who taught a section on black history.

I have worked with African Americans over the years in many capacities and never had any problem with them. I worked with a lot of white people who I hope to never see again. It has nothing to do with skin color, it is all about attitude.

Prejudice is learned, generation to generation to generation. Tolerance and understand has to be learned in the same way. I grew up in the 1960s when there were white and colored restrooms, where black people had to sit in the back of the bus and whey black people could not sit at a lunch counter. They could fix your food--they just could not sit next to you.

Fortunately we are beyond much of that, but we still have a long ways to go.

I doubt we will ever totally eliminate prejudice,but I think we are making progress.

I know what it is like to be in the minority. When I was in college, I worked in the cafeteria kitchen. I was usually the only white person on my shift. We all ate together at the same table. We talked about school, sometimes we talked about the Civil Rights riots around the country, but they did not blame me and I did not blame them. We talked and I think we all learned a lot. One of my co-workers later ran for Student Council Vice President. I voted for him. He did not win, but he came close.

The short answer to the question is yes--discrimination still exists. But, I think we are making progress.

6. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

Yes. Because people are different and as humans we do not like people who are different from us. We tend to run or get rid of them. It is a constant factor of history.

7. Grime Remix profile image61
    Grime Remixposted 12 years ago

Thank you for this question.  I don't believe we are all prejudice.  In fact many are not.  Of course there are people who are and in my neighborhood this type of behavior still exists.

8. albertovich profile image60
    albertovichposted 12 years ago

That's an honest answer, I believe.....thanx!!!!

9. jennycai profile image59
    jennycaiposted 12 years ago

because most of the time we are self centered (human nature) what ever is outside our normal norms are questionable.... and the way we question it is always based on who we are/what we think and just anything connected to us and that question is always subjective...

10. Dolores Cole profile image41
    Dolores Coleposted 12 years ago

Yes and no, yes there is discrimination when it comes to jobs in my little town. Some companies will only hire one type of race instead of just anyone that wants to work. Discrimination with kids yes some kids have more then others. Define the type of discrimination you are referring to. There is to much to discriminate about in this day and time.

11. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 12 years ago

If you look at the things that have happened to President Obama, surely you will realize that most of his problems stem from his biracial background.  I have never seen a President so disrespected or publicly maligned as this one, and I have never seen so man politicians put everything else aside in an effort to get rid of him.  The malicious emails that have come my way about him tell me that his Presidency divided this country, and all because he is half black.  Prejudice is everywhere...in our neighborhoods, towns and cities.  It's very, very sad and it may be our undoing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)