What is prejudice?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (68 posts)
  1. Ben Evans profile image64
    Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

It is a prejudgment.

A written example of prejudice that many people are familiar with is “Green Eggs and Ham” by Dr. Suess.  Our main character will not eat green eggs and ham because he has formed a preconceived notion of this meal and the person serving it. 

While this is a example of prejudice, it is not used in the same spirit as the more common usage of the word.  Prejudice is actually a very derogatory word and is usually used to describe someone who is hateful and intolerant. 

This discussion stems from a thread where I an another person were talking about open relationships and to make a long story short I had indicated that an open relationship is about sex.  My inability to understand how it wasn't made me “prejudice”.

It seems like a case of trying to manufacture a sensitivity.  Because a person doesn't practice in polygamy, does this make make this person prejudice in the truest sense of the word?  It may make the person prejudice of the practice but it doesn't make a person hateful.

Dr. Suess as we see shows us other ways we can be prejudice.  Our main character does not want to try green eggs and ham and he is irritated with the person serving them to him "Sam I Am".

Well then aren't we all prejudice in some way or form?  Really we are.  We often speak about prejudice in regards to gender, race, religion, and sexual preference and in most of these cases the people who are prejudice in these aforementioned situations are hateful.   I am very sorry that there are these types of people who are intolerant and also people who have to endure these situations.  However, I don't feel the word should be diluted but what do you think?

Should the use of words like prejudice be expanded?
    Should political correctness be expanded?
    Or are we just all overly sensitive?
    And can the word become just as hateful as it is trying to portray another person's hate?

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

'Without Predjudice' - Get Over It.....
      Build a Bridge and Get Over It hmm

By merely going on like a Pist Parrot... you are lowering the positive perception people who don't know you (Like Me) had of you!
      sad

Ben Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pearl,

I already know you and I have got off on the wrong foot before.  That is all right.  I am over it but I know you have a pretty poor perception of me and that is okay.

I like most people and I don't dislike you.  Everything is water under the bridge.  I will consider building bridges instead of taking them down.

2. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, thst was me in that thread.

Your prejudice is in what you consider "normal".  It doesn't mean (as you so angrily assumed) that you hate anyone with different concepts, it doesn't mean that you want to deny them rights or think less of them, it means that you have a set of notions that influence your thought about the subject.

I was not insulting you (as you incorrectly assumed from your ignorance of the actual meaning of the word), but simply noting why you were blind to the other posters opinions.

Here is the thing
        YOU HAVE TO USE YOUR PETTY NAME CALLING.  BECAUSE NOW YOU ARE CALLING ME IGNORANT.

Why don't you stop your name calling!!@!!!!

1. Pcunix profile image90

See - again, you assume a pejorative rather than a simple statement of fact.

Don't play these games pal.

The reason you use these names is because you have no content to add.  No that is not an assumption.

Ben, I understand that you think you were attacked.  I understand that you probably cannot understand some of the content I post.  I also understand that you do not like my political opinions.

You were not atfacked.  Your judgment of the value of my contributions  is nonsense and poliical differences are a fact of life.

You need to calm down and perhaps buy a better dictionary or do wider reading.

I said nothing about your politcal opinions nor did I say anything about mine.  So don't make that assumption.

This is not about your political opinions.

This is about you attacking people and being a bully.

Why don't you say "I" instead of "you".

You do this to many people.  I think maybe you should try to understand words in positive context.  How many snide comments can you make?

You do this all the time.  You use the words to be very sarcastic and condescending way.

Why are you being petty? 

My dictionary is fine.  I also know the context in how you use the words.  You use them to degrade people.  I have no idea why you do this and why you hate people so much.

Does it make you feel better when you call people names.

3. Pcunix profile image90

Ben:

I hope that you will not again misconstrue this as an attack, but I have to ask: is English your native language?   I ask specifically because you consistently used "prejudice" where you should have used "prejudiced" in the paragraphs you first posted.

(By the way, I thought of that because i just started learning Spanish and I find proper word endings baffling at this point)

If it is not your first language, I could better understand why you think I was attacking you and would wish to apologize to you for the misunderstanding.

As to the escalation, you seem to think that there is substantive difference from saying "ignorant of the true meaning" and "do not know the true meaning".   Both of these errors could stem from unfamiliarity with the language, so if that is the case, I must apologize again.

If English is your native language,  I am at an impasse.  I do not wish to anger you more, but I have to insist that you simply do not know the  usage of these words and are attaching connotations that were never intended.

Why don't you get some new material.  Your material is very trite.  Yes make a joke about that.

Some people grow old gracefully and become senile at different times.  I know the old brain is as sharp as it used to be is it?

I think you are always at an impasse so don't worry about it.

4. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I think we're all prejudiced in some way or other, and we have the RIGHT to be!
      The terms "prejudice" and "bigotry" are thrown around (and at people) too easily these days, yes, in a very derogatory way.

First of all, I'm trying to remember exactly how the book Green Eggs and Ham started off.....ha

What are green eggs, anyway?   
      ....The only time I've ever seen eggs close to being "green" (unless one's talkin' about bird eggs, which can be kinda greenish?...) was when I've had jelly on my plate and it mixed with the eggs and formed a sort of greenish color....

(btw, it's rather interesting that that book was written on a dare, or bet, about whether a book could be written using only 50 different words......found that info on Wikipedia when I searched Green Eggs and Ham....)

My next question is, given the illustration of the book as compared to the subject of prejudice, --- WHY was anyone trying to persuade Sam I Am to eat green eggs and ham anyway??  lol

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I have only one problem with your post- political correctness.

It needs to go away. I wrote a hub on political correct speech and how it is a misconception. wink lol

Prejudice- is simply a person's perceived bias toward something. It is constantly used for creating separation. wink

Oh I would love to see it go away also.  Actually you talked me into reading your post on pc. big_smile

Exactly.

I am so sick of people ruining perfectly useful words through their ignorance.

You bully people and throw your weight around.  You have nothing good to say do you?  Why don't you try to add something to discussions instead of just being nasty and calling people names.

You add nothing to discussions and you are a very mean person with bad intent.

Why?

2. Ben Evans profile image64

You use these words to attack people.  I know you don't care about anyone else but yourself.

Ignorance is not knowing.  I would never call you ignorant because you know exactly what you are doing.

Again - a perfectly useful word and you turn it into an attack and an insult.

It is your poor vocabulary that causes you to see attacks and insults where there are none.

Now I have a poor vocabulary.

You know what.  You use words poorly. 

When is the last time you said anything that was not sarcastic condescending or mean?

Can you answer that?

You do bully people and pretend that you are holistic person.

Oh my.

Ben, you just demonstrated your vocabulary with your use of "holistic".

Enough.  Give it up while you have a shred of dignity left.

Why don't you stop attacking people?  Don't be coy.

Because you are 62 and you haven't had a good life, is not my fault.  Please don't take your frustrations out on others.  I will then hang it up.

Ben.

You need to calm down.

This began because you thought I used  "prejudice" to attack you.  I didn't; I used it to explain why you could not comprehend what other posters in that thread were saying.

Nor am I attacking you here when I note your ignorance of the meaning and usage of words.  This may be a helpful hint: the next time you think you have been insulted, try using Google and  typing "define:" followed by the word that has upset you.  Read all the definitions and examine usage.

If I say that a person is generally ignorant, that would be an atfack.  If I say you are ignorant of the meaning of a word, that is an opinion based on your usage of that word - as we saw with "prejudice" and again with "holistic".

Yes, Ben, I AM sarcastic at times, especially in response to uninforned or illogical comments in these forums.

I cannot imagine why you think I haven't had a good life :-) I would guess poor reading skills on your part might explain that, but no doubt you will insist that is an unforgiveable insult again, so I will simply say that you have misunderstood.  I have had a GREAT life and expect to enjoy many more decades.

You are a very negative person.  That is why I assume that you have not had a great life.  I am not saying this to wish you a bad life.  You just appear as someone who is frustrated.

You often don't understand what I am talking about and you did not understand the thread either.

You take your own argument into every thread.  The sad part of this whole story is what you add to discussions are really nasty words.  You assume a lot about people and you don't let people speak.

I know that you think that you are real intelligent.  In matters of social understanding and physics, you are lacking. You may know pc's and main frames but you do not understand people.  You just understand that mad little child in your brain that wants get back at people.

..........Your words are negative.
                    Go ahead and spit it out but don't keep throwing insults and telling me you aren't.  I could throw you some really nasty insults but I am not.  I do watch the words I say.  I do hold an opinion why you are negative but I will keep that to myself. 

Once again I ask.  Why do you want to make people feel bad?

Give it up and miss the party! 

I really enjoy your mastery of words. 

You are one intelligent person and it just amazes me how your craft sentences.

2. Pearldiver profile image67
            Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You surprise me PC hmm

I would have expected you to have considered that judgment more accurately...
            Maybe even considered things from a confidence perspective! hmm

@ BE... Take a breath... The water that you are diving in is deeper than you have assumed it to be! hmm

Actually, the water here is quite shallow.  Ben assumed an attack that did not exist.  He plainly did so due to not understanding the common use of the word "prejudice".  If you are not aware of usage, you are ignorant of said usage.  Again, no insult there unless you are foolish enough to extend the specific to the general.

Foolish like you are going to use superior wit to eviscerate him.

I have seen your exchange in other forums like black hole and you appear to be on the down hill battle.  You know nothing about physics.

I actually think it is shallow water.  I can't help it if people are feeble.

3. Cagsil profile image69

I can post the link if you rather not go looking for it? lol

Go for it.  That would be good.  I don't mind.

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good hub, Cags.

I like your post.  Thanks a lot Cags.  smile

1. Cagsil profile image69
            Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome Ben. Thank you for reading and commenting. smile

4. Joe Badtoe profile image60
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

Prejudice is anythng rightwing nutjobs say, from the moment they open their mouths until they expire.

This is true don't let anyone tell you different.

(puts on tin helmet and waits......)

5. Susana S profile image93
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

This is an easy question for me because I used to teach youth workers about prejudice and discrimination.

Everyone has prejudices, which are based on beliefs, stereotypes and generalisations. Prejudice is a thought process. I might prejudge all conservatives as selfish for instance (tar with the same brush). That can change when I actually get to know a conservative who is extremely kind because it challenges my stereotype - my belief. In future I might be less likely to prejudge conservatives as selfish but take the individual on their own merits regardless of their politics.

I think it's wise for us to be aware of our prejudices and to question them to see if they really hold up. Usually people can't be so easily pigeon-holed and rarely live up to the stereotype. One example that really hit home to me was when I was on a course and there was a lady with an extremely posh accent - I was immediately prejudiced thinking she'd had a more advantageous upbringing because her family had a lot of money. When I actually got to know her I found out that while she had grown up in a very wealthy family she'd had an awful life and she was also a great person, despite her accent. So much for my stereotype!

Discrimination is highly related to prejudice but is seperate. Discrimination is an action and not simply a thought as in the case above. It's acting on a prejudice and in many cases is illegal, particularly in the work place. E.g. treating a gay worker less favourably than a straight worker is illegal (well in the UK it certainly is). Beating someone up on the street because you think they are gay is a hate crime and is prejudice turned into action.

Susana,

I think there is a lot of hate and yes we will have our own biases. It is too bad that we as humans behave this way.

If we don't want to eat a liver sandwich, that is one thing but to not want to treat another person fairly is quite different.

Thank you for your input.

6. mikelong profile image62
    mikelongposted 13 years ago

Here is a form of prejudice published here on hubpages..

http://hubpages.com/hub/Is-Obama-a-Muslim-You-Decide

7. Cagsil profile image69

Hey Ben,

Why are you bothering with this with PC?

You jumped on him, after he agreed with what I said earlier. He only explained in his post to my comment, why people do what they do.

Yes, he called those people "ignorant" and HE was not wrong. You yourself said- "ignorance" is in not knowing. And, that proved him correct.

People use the word prejudice because they are unaware(not know or ignorant) about the proper usage of the word, because the word has been constantly used to separate people.

He was only agreeing with me- btw- so did you. wink

8. seamist profile image61
    seamistposted 13 years ago

Prejudice is when people have mistaken and erroneous beliefs which are usually uncomplimentry about people who are different than themselves.

1. profile image0

Not always, not exactly, according to the dictionary, I think....

It says prejudice is having an opinion or forming a judgement(usually a negative one, but can be a positive one) "before the facts are known"....

If I say I don't like green eggs and ham, I'm not mistaken about the eggs being green, and so if I form the opinion that I don't want green eggs, that's simply a personal preference.  It could, however, also be the fact that I don't know WHY the eggs are green that might cause me to say I don't like green eggs, and whether the thing that made the eggs green is poison or simply useless or whatever, and why would I want to try something that changes the way I usually eat my eggs if I'm perfectly happy with the eggs I already eat?

9. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Definition of PREJUDICE
    1: injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights; especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims
    a: (1) preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge
    b : an instance of such judgment or opinion c : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristic

I wont get into the first definition, because it doesn't make sense to me, lol, my guess is because it's unused. lol

Anyway, as for prejudice meaning: a preconceived judgment or opinion - most people are prejudiced by their own experiences and limited knowledge.  When understood to be 'positive', it wouldn't make them ignorant, it would mean there's room for growth.  If prejudice is seen as a 'negative' it would mean the person is stubbornly holding onto an opinion or belief for no reason other than refusal to accept change.

Now, as for ignorant. 

Definition of IGNORANT
    1a : destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>
    2: unaware, uninformed

(Destitute:  lacking something needed or desirable)

I believe ignorant means to lack the desire to become knowledgeable; to choose to remain unaware or uninformed. 

When someone says they don't understand something, I don't believe it makes them prejudiced or ignorant.  Understanding can only be achieved through careful study of the facts involved - and that takes time.  To say someone is prejudiced or ignorant just because they don't understand something is the same as saying that person is guilty for not agreeing with you.

1. Dave Barnett profile image57
      Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Prejudice is: Covering the faces of your women folk because of the lust in the hearts of those who you do not know.

1. profile image0

What if the women fold WANT their faces covered?

But that was not what happened here.

I do not recall the specifics, but it was something where people were talking about open marriage.  I simply said that Ben's prejudice was preventing him from accepting their statements as being true for them.  Thst does not mean he was judging them badly, it means that I felt his notions about what marriage should be interefered with his understanding of their views.

Here, I said that he was and is ignorant of the meaning of the word prejudice and later of the word holistic.  That is a perfectly valid use of the word and does not imply any general ignorance.

By the way, we had already gone over this in the actual thread.  I explained there that there was no pejorative intent to my use of the word, but he insisted that there was.

This is all very silly.  If I wanted to insult him, I would have done so far more definitely. 

By the way, what YOU say ignorant means does not match the definition you quoted.

1. profile image0

Ben's view wasn't prejudiced. Prejudice, as we've just shown, is an aversion to doing or condoning something without knowledge of the facts.
        He spoke with common sense about an issue, knowing the consequences and reasons that people might go for an "open" relationship.   Common sense will tell you it's not for love, and it's not a good thing, and that it's for sex.
        I call it greed as well.

You said "as being true for them".....
        Sorry, but truth isn't multiple choice in all instances.
        And a person doesn't have to try something or engage in a particular activity in order to know it's wrong or know the reasoning behind it.

Your definition is incomplete and your prejudices about marriage are certainly not unexpected given your religious beliefs.

You, like Ben, are ignorant of acceptable usage of this word. 

Why don't we settle this simply? I invited Ben to report me for the alleged atfack and insult. I invite you to do the same because I am confident that HP will agree that there is no attack or insult.

Fair enough?

1. profile image0

I no longer report anyone.
            And I wasn't implying or suggesting that I would report anyone.
            I was simply discussing the topic.

Fine.  Then I again invite Ben or anyone else to do so.  I would really like to know the official position on this so we don't have to have silly threads like this again.

Why don't you stop attacking people.  You don't need to know what the position is.

Unfortunately you think you are really intelligent.

I like your hair do you do birthday parties.  big_smile

How old are you?  Under 20, perhaps?  You are acting very childish.

PC

You act very childish yourself.  So who's talking.  I can't help it that you are bitter and old.

3. Ben Evans profile image64

You know what is laughable.  You said that you would not reply to anymore of my threads.

You are silly.  Don't you think?

Thanks Brenda.

It just is that Mr. Unix (Hey isn't that a operating system that was invented by AT&T neat!!!) uses words out of context.

His forum replies shows a text book straw man argument.  His intent is to try to muffle anything else others say.  He is very closed minded and very self serving individual.

I can understand you not recalling.  I can't help your age. 

Oh yes, you are smart.  You would have made your point more definitely.

Uh huh right.

I have a challenge for you.  Can you respond with substance?  Do you know how?

You know you would contribute better.

3. Rafini profile image81
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@ Pcunix - I realize my definition of ignorant doesn't seem to match the dictionary definition, but I believe it does.

The definition hinges on the word destitute.  Which means, lacking something needed or desirable.  If you lack the desirable knowledge, wouldn't that mean you were willing to learn it?  If you lack the needed knowledge, wouldn't that mean you knew it existed but hadn't yet learned it?

3. Ben Evans profile image64

That is nice definition Rafini.  A lot of people just want to use words to make people look bad or wrong.  I agree that people use the words just for shock value and not to describe a persons actions.

1. Rafini profile image81

I'm unsure of the shock value...my thoughts are people throw words around without really considering the true meanings.  Writers do it all the time by constructing simile's and using metaphors and non-writers do it to look like they know what they're talking about. hmm  The result?  People who don't understand the true meaning of the words they use.   

(gee, I wonder why I always get into arguments over vocabulary? lol)

10. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

That first definition of prejudice isn't in the dictionary I have.
    You said it's unused. Where did you get it?

1. Rafini profile image81

google search for it.  (I said my guess was it was unused - now, though, it seems to me that may be a 'legal' definition, or a definition that would be used in court....?)

1. profile image0

Sounds like a revisionist "modern" definition....

11. Ben Evans profile image64
    Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

The clown

The man behind the mask
    is sensitive and scared.
    His face is never shown.

Fierce is history.
    Lies are told
    yet they are believed
    and become living words.

A person once said
    to stay clear of the
    person who hides his face.

Bereft by the thought,
    No one came.
    Change never happened
    and word was obscured
    by the echo of many voices
    in an empty room.

The sun glazed the sky
    and erased the night.
    Forgotten were the shivers,
    because they were silenced
    by the heat.

He wash his face
    but applied more makeup.
    What's inside hurts.

No one laughs for the clown
    yet some words were murmured.

.............Will you grow to laugh again.

12. TruthDebater profile image54
    TruthDebaterposted 13 years ago

Predjudice is when someone is biased against others that look or believe different than themselves. Saying this, there are a lot of predjudiced people on the forums that make predjudice assumptions.

Do ANY of you know how to use a dictionary?

I give up smile

1. TruthDebater profile image54
        TruthDebaterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. Prejudice, happy? We can't all be perfect, can we? Who is all included in "any of you"? Sounds "prejudice" and assumptive. Must be my poor genetics that determines that I don't know how to use a dictionary. Nice philosophy btw. lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)