Should children be allowed to play violent video games?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. Joan King profile image69
    Joan Kingposted 11 years ago

Should children be allowed to play violent video games?

Do you believe, as some say  that violent video games breathe violence in children? Should one blame video games for violent behaviour or does the behaviour have to do primarily with family values or personality?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6513550_f260.jpg

2. Jacksmack316 profile image68
    Jacksmack316posted 11 years ago

I don't believe video games are to blame. Heck the way the world is today you may see worse walking down the street in some places. It's not about what they're exposed to so much as how they're taught to handle it. I mean there is still a limit to what a child of a certain age should be aloud to be exposed to in excess, but in the end if we teach that killing people and stealing cars is wrong, and that violence only brings more violence everything should be fine. If you have a doubt they can do without, parents need to remain in control.

3. wolfshadow profile image60
    wolfshadowposted 11 years ago

I mostly agree with Jacksmack316. With so much saturation of violence in our culture, it doesn't make sense to just remove one facet and leave all the rest. It's the parents responsibility to set morals and teach their children how to behave. Most kids know the difference between fantasy and reality, and for those that can't seem to distinguish the line, they need a lot more help than just removing violent video games.

4. lburmaster profile image71
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

I think it is a good family activity. My cousins always gather each christmas to see who is the best at each game. My father and brother play all the time. It's a bonding experience and it keeps friends together if your child is home schooled. I see no issues with young males playing Call of Duty or Skyrim.

5. AM Hanson profile image67
    AM Hansonposted 11 years ago

I strongly believe that violent video games do NOT result in violent children.  I played Mortal Kombat, Starcraft (with all its hilarious death animations), and countless D&D based computer games as a kid and I'm extremely non-violent and non-confrontational.  What children need to know when they play these is that violence is not a way to solve problems and that you cant just gun down someone who doesnt agree with one.  One of the things I love about rpgs is that, even in a game as gory and violent as the Fallout series, there is often a peaceful way around things through use of diplomacy skills, which teaches kids to use words not violence.

6. JohnGreasyGamer profile image75
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 11 years ago

I don't blame video games for violent behaviour. As I've said many times before, I blame bad parents and stupid kids. For starters, video games are much more carefully monitored now. It is against the law to sell a game to someone under the age rating, and many stores take this seriously. Hence why GAME and Gamestation are under administration (well, one of the reasons anyway). If I see a 12-year old holding Battlefield 3, I can tell you it's the parents who are to blame right away.

But that's just a stereotype, to some extent. Exposure to excessive violence can turn people into secret sadomasochists - the blood, torture, humiliation and screaming can do a lot to a young mind. And if it doesn't disturb them, it twists them.

Want proof? Check out a single paragraph from 8MM, starring Nicholas Cage "it doesn't exactly turn you on, but it doesn't exactly turn you off either". Let that set the tone for what you'll experience.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)