It's legal to marry your cousin in North Carolina but not to get a same sex marr

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Josak profile image60
    Josakposted 11 years ago

It's legal to marry your cousin in North Carolina but not to get a same sex marriage, thoughts?

Despite the fact that marriages between cousins have potentially serious genetic consequences that can produce deformed and unhealthy children and that gay marriage hurts no one at all one is legal while the other is specifically banned is this reasonable?

2. TomBlalock profile image70
    TomBlalockposted 11 years ago

I've seen this brought up before, and I have a few thoughts. First, and foremost, despite my own thoughts about gay and lesbian people, I didn't vote for Amendment One. I felt it was an unethical and unconstitutional bill from the get go, and the wording did more to punish homosexual people than it did to protect marriage, which was already protected in NC.

However, the argument that "hey, we just banned gay marriage, but we can still marry our cousins," is not a logical argument. That statement does not imply that banning gay marriage is hypocritical because they still allow you to marry your first cousin, it implies that there is something that many believe should also be banned, completely aside from the issue of gay marriage. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to attack Amendment One, but honestly, if people have a problem with people marrying their cousins, then legislate its forbiddance in law.

I'm sorry, I've just never seen the two issues as related save that they both deal with marriage. When you get right down to it, though, if the argument is made for gay marriage being allowed, I don't really see as you can argue effectively against cousin - cousin marriage, either, so long as both parties cconsent.

1. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't want marriage between cousins banned, people should make their own choices on that but there are serious medical consequences to it yet the law defends their freedom to do it, gay marriage does not but their freedoms are denied= Hypocrisy.

2. TomBlalock profile image70
      TomBlalockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There can be serious medical consequences, yes, but only in childbirth. Marriage itself between two cousins does not in of itself pose any medical risk whatsoever, yet you suddenly want to censor it. Hypocrisy.

3. Josak profile image60

Did I not just say i don't want marriage between cousins banned? People getting married leads to sex nearly invariably and regular sexual activity has a good chance of producing offspring in the long term.

3. feenix profile image58
    feenixposted 11 years ago

All I know is my first cousin is a very pretty woman with smooth soft skin, and she does not have a five o'clock shadow and big clumps of hair on her chest and back.

1. Josak profile image60

So gay marriage is fine if both partners are attractive? Because if so frankly we should have legalized lesbian marriage a looooong time ago. tongue

2. feenix profile image58
      feenixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Josak, my flippant remark flew way over your head. The point is, I, and the vast majority of other men, are physically attracted to women, and only women. The thought of getting cozy with another stud really does turn us off.

3. Josak profile image60

I know it's just when confronted by statements that make me shake my head I prefer to turn to humor than anger, I don't see how whether you find another man attractive has anything to do with wanting to legalize gay marriage, evidently a lot of men I

4. Doc Snow profile image88
    Doc Snowposted 11 years ago

Well, clearly you probably can't marry ALL your first cousins in North Carolina (and twenty-some other states)... but it is ironic that the ones you can't marry are the very ones whom marrying would give rise to no genetic issues whatever.

1. TomBlalock profile image70

Not quite. In North Carolina, double first cousins, the cousins with the highest consanguinity, are the ones forbidden by law. The next step is first cousins, and that isn't forbidden. However, the highest degree of "cousinhood" is.

5. CaravanHolidays profile image61
    CaravanHolidaysposted 11 years ago

Unfortunately, whilst the U.S. perceives itself as at the vanguard of western civilization - the problem is it that it is too big, and is still ruled by outdated thinking. North Carolina 'proves' this. Obama may realize this, but unfortunately for him to do anything about would cost him a lot of votes. I am ignorant of U.S. tax laws, but do you get tax relief for getting married? (reason that I ask this is that as far as I can see can be the only reason for gay couples wanting to marry. If they just fighting for the right to get married for equal rights purposes, then they are merely playing into the hands of the ruling ideology, instead of 'denying authority', and building their own social system) People everywhere are not just getting fed up with politicians, but the  whole control of governance itself - time to make up our own rules!

6. Barnsey profile image69
    Barnseyposted 11 years ago

Ha! Clearly another example of our judicial system being far outdated. At what point will this government recognize they are running this country on antiquated BS laws put in place by religious zealots from another era? The constitution and the entire system need to be revamped for the 21st century. Get over it conservatives, it isn't the little house on the prairie anymore.

1. TomBlalock profile image70

I don't think it is about realization, when you get down to it. I think many of them realize full well what they are doing, and why. Politicians are people too, it seems.

7. syzygyastro profile image80
    syzygyastroposted 11 years ago

This is part of the confusion that passes as law. What is the law? It is whatever the CEOs, bankers, organized religion leaders, lobbyists and the like decide it is going to be. The government is hired to draft them and then when passed, the police, military and courts enforce them. The elite themselves act as if exempt from the laws we, the rest who are not the elite, must abide by.

8. lostdogrwd profile image60
    lostdogrwdposted 11 years ago

why in this world do I care if to men or women want to get marry.how is that going to affect my life.  the only problem I have with this gay agenda is it an agenda  and you people try to rub the people faces in your life. I could care less what you do.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)