Was it a mistake for the president to give his opinion on gay marriage?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. brittvan22 profile image75
    brittvan22posted 11 years ago

Was it a mistake for the president to give his opinion on gay marriage?

Was it  powerful moment in history? Or was it a ploy to gain more support that will back fired in the end?

2. dzephaniah profile image60
    dzephaniahposted 11 years ago

Generally speaking, the president can voice his opinion. That is his right as a citizen.

I’m very happy that Obama did voice his opinion about the gay marriage, because this way, people see his true face and will decide if they want to vote for the president that supports the gay marriage.

I don't support the gay marriage and I wouldn't vote for the president that does.

brittvan22posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow, so it that because of his politics or based solely on his gay marriage okaying?

2. feenix profile image56
      feenixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Obama's open support of same-sex marriage, alone, is a very good reason not to vote for him.

3. brittvan22 profile image75

So you isolate a person's personal belief to make a political decision? You should a bit Republican or Fundamentalist Christian. If you are a Republican it's funny how they pride themselves on being against abortion, (citing it is murder)

4. feenix profile image56

I am not dumb enough to believe that I possess the means and the ability to make political decisions that matter in the grand scheme of things.

5. brittvan22 profile image75

So you don't think your vote counts. (My old poli-sci teacher is screaming, lol.)I think you have a voice and influence a lot more than you think.

6. feenix profile image56

My Life and my Liberty are not contingent on what politicians and government do for me. It is contingent on what I do for myself. And when it comes to my Happiness, I am always ready, willing and able to Pursue that all on my on.

7. brittvan22 profile image75

You have to voice your opinion it does matter, the wrong person at the wrong time means disaster. You are in charge of your own life, but your societial filters are based on politics. ex. Hitler, Reagan etc.

8. feenix profile image56

Brittvan, I know how to make good use of the roof of a 10-story building.

9. brittvan22 profile image75

Don't do it Feenix, don't do it! If ever it gets that bad blog me! I got your back!

10. feenix profile image56

Brittvan, I really do like your style. I am going to sign up to be one of your followers and read as many of your hubs as I can. You are very cool.

3. Attikos profile image83
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

I don't for a moment believe he means it. He's in total campaign mode now. There are no principles in that. Everything is calculated to get traction toward reelection.

Don't get me wrong. I don't for a moment believe he doesn't mean it, either. He doesn't care one way or the other, as long he gets money and votes out of it.

He got the money. About thirty million last count attributable to his announcement, more by now. Whether or not it results in a net gain or loss in votes is an open question that probably won't be answered until the exit polling in November, if then.

So, the answer to this question is complex. It was a smart move for raking in more campaign cash. Whether or not it was a mistake in terms of votes is something we have to wait, perhaps for some time, to find out.

1. feenix profile image56

Brittvan, I really do like your style. I am going to sign up to be one of your followers and read as many of your hubs as I can. You are very cool.

2. brittvan22 profile image75

Awww thanks Feenix, I like your style too. Thanks I need it! I appreciate your support. I'm new and still trying to get hang of the ropes. I will check you out too!

4. junko profile image69
    junkoposted 11 years ago

The President knows even if many American don't that gay marriage is a state rights policy out of federal control. He is taking a rick that his opinion is not made to appear as a federal mandate and his intentions if reelected. Civics is no longer required learning in high schools. He is guilty with a statement for commenting on the uncommentable.

@ Junko good observation, you do have a point. BRING CIVICS BACK!! Thanks for sharing.

5. adjkp25 profile image88
    adjkp25posted 11 years ago

President Obama has declared his support for same sex marriage.  This disclosure has sparked many debates on this sensitive issue.  Will his announcement alter the hopes for equality for so many? read more

6. Mark Duralu profile image58
    Mark Duraluposted 10 years ago

i think the president was wrong and it was surely a mistake for him to show his side on this matter. this gay marriage thing is wrong and for the president to support it is really a shame. values have been lost in this world and even the leaders that we thought might help protect them are falling prey to the tunes of the devil. does it really make sense when a man and a man or woman and woman are married together? this started out as a joke is now becoming a reality and contaminated minds are really pushing the law through.i just know that the president would be disappointed if his daughter turned gay, he might try to hide the feeling but deep inside he know and no parent would want there kids to be taken up by this social immorality

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)