Why do you think people don't wash their hands?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

Why do you think people don't wash their hands?

I see people who use public restrooms and run out without washing their hands properly if they wash them at all. Many only use water, others get soap and immediately rinse it off, and other just immediately walk out without doing anything.

2. Ellana317 profile image69
    Ellana317posted 11 years ago

Ummmm... Just plain old nasty.  LOL... Serioulsy, the only thing that I can really think of is laziness.

1. Cristale profile image83
      Cristaleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. And I admit that I don't always wash my hands after using a public restroom, when the sink area looks disgusting and there is no soap. And I always use my foot to flush to the toilet so as to touch as less as possible lol

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Wow. I can't imagine. I suppose it doesn't even cross their minds? I'm OCD about things like that. That makes it very hard to shake hands.

Express10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Even my boyfriend says he sees pretty much the same thing and it normally takes a lot to gross him out.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, It definitely goes on.

4. junkseller profile image76
    junksellerposted 11 years ago

Well for one, there is some evidence that we overwash our world, which leads to more resistant microbes and a reduction of our bodies' natural ability to self-regulate itself. I knew this hippy guy once who NEVER washed his hands. I thought that was a bit extreme, but then he was always healthy, so maybe he was on to something.

For another, the issue with washing after just touching your willy seems more to do with a mental belief in nastiness than any physical reality of nastiness. Hiding away in our pants, our genitals are probably cleaner than most of the surfaces open to the air and probably a LOT cleaner than surfaces that are regularly touched by others. I wash after urinating because of all of the surfaces I had to touch getting into the bathroom in the first place, not because I just touched my clean body.

Now fecal matter is a separate issue, but even if you wash your hands you still end up touching handles and doors getting out. The reality of our world is it is kind of a dirty place. I think a lot of people are a bit over paranoid about it.

Many people become ill because they didn't wash their hands or they touched the same germy surface as a person that did not. Taking a culture of your "clean" genitals even after a bath/shower will likely change your mind.

2. junkseller profile image76
      junksellerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Blue Q makes a product called "Maybe You Touched Your Genitals Hand Sanitizer" that might be good for you. It's the number one after-genital contact hand sanitizer. Also, get some of their "You Nasty Hand Sanitizer" to give out to non-washers.

3. Express10 profile image85

I wash my hands frequently and properly however, it's never fun to consume foods by or come into very close contact with those that don't. Seriously, lots of things grow in moist dark places & linger on hard surfaces waiting for you to pick them

5. Djaak profile image41
    Djaakposted 11 years ago

Laziness I imagine. Some people are just to lazy to wash their hands after they eat and after they go to the bathroom.

6. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

i'm one of those people . i don't understand this need to wash your hands all the time. so what if i went pee, it's not like i'm going to stick my fingers in your mouth. i'm a clean person but wasting water like that is wrong in my eyes. i lived on the streets for years and washing my hands was never an issue. it's like these people who are always using hand sanitizers, ridiculous.

7. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

They're either lazy or don't realize the health hazards that can come of refusing to wash their hands.

1. profile image0
      skookumposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with TIMETRAVELER2 - they are both lazy and uneducated about the health hazards.

2. Express10 profile image85

There's nothing that can be done about those that refuse to educate themselves though.

8. profile image0
    Amy Hyunposted 11 years ago

Ew, I think it's nasty that people don't wash their hands...especially in public bathrooms with all those germs lying around.

9. aDayInMyLife1 profile image89
    aDayInMyLife1posted 11 years ago

I think it is a combination of: ignorance of the  health hazards unwashed hands can cause and of the benefits of hand washing; as well as laziness or being in a rush. It just disgusting. All bathrooms should have signs educating people of the risks and benefits.

10. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

It is a matter of how you have been brought up. We do things as routine when we grow up and if it is not in their normal routine, then it will be likely that some will not do it.

My family are taught to have proper hygiene so that is the routine we go through of washing hands with soap before rinsing it off.

11. profile image0
    Hockettrunsposted 11 years ago

I know, this is very gross. I think it comes down to people simply being lazy or selfish; or both. They don't realize (or don't care) that they could very easily spread germs, disease, or both. What they can't see, they don't care about. And since they don't see germs or bacteria, they simply don't care.

12. Sparkle Chi profile image71
    Sparkle Chiposted 11 years ago

I have to admit to being one of those people who does not always wash their hands in a public restroom.

I am severely allergic to chlorine, which is used in most city waters. I use the restroom as quickly as possible since just the fumes will make me dizzy enough to pass out. If I run my hands under the water, you can see them turn red and the skin will start to peel off within a day. Behaves just like a burn, except that it was the cold water that did that.

Don't judge people to quickly. They may have a valid reason for not washing their hands in public washrooms.

I understand your allergy however, this is an extreme rarity. Some people refuse to use sanitizers or wash their hands but it is a lack of hand washing (particularly after using the restroom or when cooking) that is a very common cause of disease.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)