Is is advisable to have a schedule for "writing time?"

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Rosyel Sawali profile image62
    Rosyel Sawaliposted 11 years ago

Is is advisable to have a schedule for "writing time?"

How much time should I allot for it? Your advice and input is highly appreciated!

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6913739_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

I wouldn't put any added pressure on myself by going by a timeline for writing a Hub. Sometimes it can take me 2 days. Then at time 15 or 20 minutes. Just make sure you produce good quality work.  smile

3. weekendrockstar profile image68
    weekendrockstarposted 11 years ago

Whether it's writing a hub, a short story of a novel I wouldn't necessarily schedule time to write. But I will try to maintain as flexible a schedule as I can for writing. There are times when you can sit there to write but there's something off and you're not quite in the mood. In situations like that you may end up spending more time fixing/deleting work you did during that period because it most likely won't feel right to you when you're "in the zone".  It sucks to look at something you've written to realize that it didn't have the right "voice".  Your mood always shows through your writing and if you force yourself to a schedule to have something written and you're not quite in the writing mood whatever you write will most likely come off as disinterested and your readers won't be as interested when reading it.

I wrote my first full novel in 14 hour writing marathons and completed it in a month and a half. I had only a couple of days where I knew that writing wasn't going to be a good idea.  However, I am currently writing my second novel and there've been a good deal of issues in my personal life and while I want to work on the novel so I can complete it...it defeats the purpose if the finished material is sub-par to you.

But back to my original point...it's good to allow yourself as flexible a schedule as you can so that you can actually sit down and write when you feel in the zone.

4. cygnetbrown profile image81
    cygnetbrownposted 11 years ago

I read yesterday that statistically anyone who creates a schedule and sticks to it is more productive than someone who just "wings it". I know that when I am doing NaNoWriMo in November, by the end of the month I will have a first draft of a manuscript because I have dedicated time every day that month to finish this project. I'm a believer in scheduling time to write every day. Start with as little as 15 minutes every day and work up from there.

5. sirens007 profile image60
    sirens007posted 11 years ago

I have asked myself this question many times in my writing career and I find you can relate it to the old adage, "practice makes perfect." If you take time out of your day to sit down and write, forcing yourself for 30mins to an hour a day, you will find that your writing will come out easier each time. This same rule can apply to studying, waking up earlier in the morning, exercising and learning any habit you would like to adopt in to your lifestyle.

Start small (15 mins) and work your way up to "quality work" as JThomp42 puts it. You can do this by challenging yourself, giving yourself deadlines, assigning a project or by finding a writing partner.

6. profile image57
    Silkekarinaposted 11 years ago

People with 9 to 5 jobs do not produce the same quality of work day in and day out. How many times have you heard someone say that he could not wait to get away from the office because nothing seemed to go right. People with regular jobs cannot choose to work only when they feel productive. You, if you are a full time writer, are able to choose the time and place to sit down and write.

Write when your head is full of ideas and you are raring to go. For the remaining time occupy yourself with jotting down ideas, editing, researching on the net or at the library, or just getting fresh air and exercise.

Good Luck

7. Apostle Jack profile image60
    Apostle Jackposted 11 years ago

It is a question of having something to say,and the need to say it.When the feeling come let it flow and just put pin to paper.The more you love it the more you will write.You don"t have to worry about the time. It will depend on the subject matter.
    A good topic that everyone love to hear about is a good subject matter.
    It can become whatever you want it to become and the time you spend on it is measured by your love for it. It is a natural process.

8. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 11 years ago

I think it depends a lot on what your schedule is for everything else. Say, for example, you have a three hour block of time each morning where you aren't doing anything. That would be a good time to schedule some writing. Or, maybe you have an hour between work and picking up the kids from school. That could be a good time as well. So I think that scheduling time for yourself is a good idea, but if your schedule doesn't allow for the same time every day (mine is crazy) then you will have to devise one that is a bit more flexible. The important thing is that there is consistent writing. When I was writing my fantasy novel, I told myself that as long as I kept working on it little by little, eventually it would be done. Sometimes I would only get a paragraph done, and sometimes I would get a chapter done. Just remember that no amount of writing is too small; because every bit of it moves you closer to your goals. Eventually it will get done, but it is your responsibility to squeeze it into your daily life.

9. rlaha profile image61
    rlahaposted 11 years ago

You can schedule some time to write, but I know from experience that I wouldn't be able to keep that schedule. Whenever I have some ideas I jot them down if possible, but if that is not possible I try to remember then and write them down later. I tend to polish up whatever I have written and try to form a hub whenever I have the time.  Good luck!

10. Jen Johnson profile image60
    Jen Johnsonposted 11 years ago

It depends on what works for you. I've read in numerous places that setting a time for yourself to sit and write is a great way to stay consistent and make sure your creativity jump starts at around the same time every day. BUT, I've also known people who work better at sporadic times, just like some people work better in silence while others work better with music playing in the background.

As far as how much time to allot, this is where a freelancer's bag of tricks comes in handy. The trick that I love and that helps me a lot is the 50-minute block of straight work. You sit down and work for 50 minutes and then take a 10-minute break.

Some authors will finish a book in a year... others in a week. These authors may or may not have a scheduled time to write, but they've certainly figured out what works for them in order to produce the best work humanly possible.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)