What do you think about gun control? Stricter or needs to be more lax?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (32 posts)
  1. JustSimple info profile image75
    JustSimple infoposted 11 years ago

What do you think about gun control?  Stricter or needs to be more lax?

This issue always comes up during an unfortunate tragedy, I would like to know what people think.  Keep it sensible and respectful please.

2. backporchstories profile image72
    backporchstoriesposted 11 years ago

Did you know that in the country of Sweden, they carry guns freely and their crime rate is very low and not horrendous like it is here in the states!  I learned this yesterday through a conversation with my neighbor.  Maybe it is true, if we allowed all to carry guns, then no one would bother to do the crime when they know all carry weapons.  Maybe!?

1. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Think of Sweden's society. American's are much more violent than Sweden.

2. Mr. Happy profile image70
      Mr. Happyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Check poverty statistics about Sweden and check-out their health care system: people with mental illnesses are not roaming the streets as they do in North America. Indeed their society is very different, educational system and all ...

3. JustSimple info profile image75
      JustSimple infoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe.  I saw a robbery on the news, where two kids were holding up a bank I think, and an older gentleman pulled out his gun and started shooting at the would-be robbers, and they ran off, with the gentleman still firing at them.

3. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

I believe there should be a limit. People have too many guns in their areas. He had four guns, two of which were handguns. Why do people need so many weapons at this point in time? A tiny one in your purse, a rifle for the house. What else do you need?

limiting a gun, I beleive is like limiting the number of cars someone can own.  If you limit the number of guns, who says they can't limit something else.  Court cases set precedents based on certain interpretation of laws, sometimes.

2. lburmaster profile image72

But why do they need so many cars in the first place? One per person is plenty. I agree with your view of limits and the government.

3. Jack Burton profile image78
      Jack Burtonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I personally believe that limiting a family to just one bible and two church services a month is sufficient. Religion causes more problems than it solves, and the government has good reason to control it. No one under 18 should be allowed to go, also

4. lburmaster profile image72

I don't understand your argument. Mainly because I don't go to church. And the government has no reason to ever control religion, just religious acts that concern the safety of citizens.

5. Jack Burton profile image78

I know that you don't understand my argument. And THAT is just my point. Thank you for confirming it for me.

4. junkseller profile image79
    junksellerposted 11 years ago

Gun laws are far too lax. Many states do not require licenses or registration to purchase many guns. Private sales, in many places, do not even require a background check. The background checks which are done, could be improved, since many states do not report mental health information to the national database.

Certain weapons such as tactical rifles, like the AR-15, and certain accessories, such as 100 round ammo drums, are particularly lethal and should have greater restrictions to own.

Registration, training, licensing, and background checks should be required for all gun purchases.

You think that this requirement on all gun purchases will reduce gun related crimes?  I remember in high school I knew about 5 people who had guns already, and even today I know how to get a gun without the need for a license.

2. junkseller profile image79
      junksellerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wouldn't do anything over night, because such a huge pool of unaccounted for weapons already exist. But, over time, a system which does account for all weapons seems like it would be better to me.

3. Jack Burton profile image78

junkseller doesn't know that the AR is considered to shoot a medium powered round... or that a 100 round drum is more safe to stand in front of than a 15 round mag since they jam with almost every use. Check out my hub on assault weapons for info.

4. junkseller profile image79

There is a lot more to a rifle than its action. Differences in these elements are what separate tactical rifles from hunting rifles. Jack's simplistic analysis is as silly as saying a car is nothing but its engine. A ridiculous notion.

jun k can't get around the fact that the semi-auto rifles he denounces are really no different in the way they function and shoot than uncle bob's semi-auto deer rifle in the back closet.

6. junkseller profile image79

Calling semi-autos assault rifles is wrong as you point out. However, it is equally wrong to say an AR-15 and Uncle Bob's rifle are "really no different." Lying about weapon capabilities doesn't help your cause.

7. Jack Burton profile image78

They both shoot one bullet at a time with one pull of the trigger. Every thing else is cosmetics.  But the readers don't have to take my word for it... they can see for themselves at http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … v=ysf8x477

8. junkseller profile image79

Would love to see Uncle Bob do this with his hunting rifle. And this is just shooting without even considering tactical movement or complex and/or lengthy engagements http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaCpOt9xVy4

9. Jack Burton profile image78

I can do the same drill with my little Marlin 60 .22 caliber squirrel rifle. Big deal. And all who watched it saw  firearms being fired one shot at a time, just like uncle bobs and my Marlin. What's "scary" to you is normal to everyone else, eh.

10. junkseller profile image79

Yes, that's great Jack, except for the fact that the guy with the AR-15 put 9 times more energy into his targets than your 22LR will. I have no fear of accurate information, unlike you.

11. Jack Burton profile image78

The AR shoots a more powerful round. So what? Uncle Bob's deer rifle shoots a more powerful round than the AR. A scope turns Uncle Bob  into a deadly sniper able to take a man out at 400 yards. That scares you too, eh, just like the everything else?

12. junkseller profile image79

If you want to continually lie about weapon capabilities to further your politics, be my guest. I'm not interested. I think most reasonable people can see that these weapons clearly have different capabilities. I'll leave it to them to decide.

13. Jack Burton profile image78

js can't actually point to any "lie" that I've posted but he ffffeeellllss ggggoooodddd writing it. He can't point to any lie in the video that I posted, or in the FACT that my little .22 rifle shoots the same way as the rifles he wants to scare you

14. junkseller profile image79

"no different in the way they function and shoot...Every thing else is cosmetics...shoots the same way," etc. are all factually incorrect. Anyone knowledgeable in guns (and honest) will tell you so.

15. Jack Burton profile image78

js just points to things that he doesn't like and doesn't want you to know. One trigger pull - check. Similar bullet - check. General same range and same power -- check. The guy in the posted video is a decorated L.A. police officer... and js is...?

16. junkseller profile image79

Whatever Jack. I'm sure gun makers have designed and built thousands of different rifles all so they can perform exactly the same. It is an idiotic claim that, as I have said, I am sure most people can see through.

17. Jack Burton profile image78

This is the best that js can do now, eh, and what he is reduced to.

:-)

18. junkseller profile image79

You don't know what you are talking about and obviously don't care about becoming educated on the matter. Your ignorance really doesn't concern me. As for the topic, people can decide for themselves. I've made my point.

19. Jack Burton profile image78

Yes, they can see the video posted with decorated L.A policeman disagreeing with your every post, or they can read you with your qualifications of....?  Or they can go out to the range and see for themselves how an AR works like every other gun made

Jack Burtonposted 11 years ago

Gun control is actually about controlling people. There is no gun control law in the world that will stop people from doing evil in their heart. All they do is hamper the innocents from defending themselves against that evil. Those who are in favor of less guns in the hands of the law abiding people will never be there to throw themselves between you or your loved ones and the bad people who seek to do them harm. All they'll do is "tut tut" on the side and go back to their wine and cheese. complaining about how the neighborhood sure is run down now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)