Is fearing in any way the same as respect?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. snoblet profile image83
    snobletposted 11 years ago

Is fearing in any way the same as respect?

When someone respects another it seems to be of  positive moral values but when someone fears another it feels like they have something to lose which makes fearing more of a negative moral value.  I'm not sure I am making sense but do you see fear and respect to be the same?

2. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 11 years ago

No I don't.
    Fear of someone is due to abuse of the power that they have.
    Respect is earned by acknowledging that the person that has that power uses it in a positive way, not an abusive way.

snobletposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the answer, I was with some friends and they're pretty religious and I was wondering why is God usually in the same sentence with fear.  They explain something like we have to fear God.. I don't get it.

2. alancaster149 profile image75
      alancaster149posted 11 years agoin reply to this

They usually don't understand the relationship themselves. It's what's called 'received emotion': they're told on the one hand that 'God' loves them, and on the other hand he's waiting up there with a bolt of lightning in case they put a foot wrong!

3. BlissfulWriter profile image71
    BlissfulWriterposted 11 years ago

No, fearing a person is not the same as respecting a person.  I rather be respected than to be feared.

I agree, being fear comes with some or a lot of hate.

4. Dr Pran Rangan profile image77
    Dr Pran Ranganposted 11 years ago

Fear and respect are two emotions having many conntonations. The expressions of these two emotions depends on the situations, persons and things. We fears all situations which can harm us in any way but at the same time we know that it is an unavoidable situation so we stop fearing it. The exams will evoke the same feeling of fear in a student but he will overcome it in due course of time. He will begin to like the exams and may excel in them.  An common man may fear a powerful politician or a public figure. But if that powerful person has high moral values, he will be feared as well as respected on account of his postion and moral values respectively. On the other hand, if he is corrupt and without morals, he may be feared or may not be.

If a boss is good and courteous to his subordinates, he will be feared as well as respected by his subordinates. He will also influence them in a positive manner. If he is incompetent and discourteous to them, they will only fear him. They may show him respect on account of his position but in fact they will detest him in their heart.

If an ordinary person, who is not known to us in any way, behaves courteously with us, he will immediately have our respect. If a motorist helps a person injured in a road accident and gets him admitted in a hospital for treatment, he will command the respect and gratitude of the victim of the accident throughout his life.

So, as a matter of fact, a person who, does a good deed without anything in return, will command the highest respect. Fear and respect are not the same. We can also see some merging of fear and respect sometimes. Fear is not always a negative emotion and similarly respect is also not always positive.

We all have been conditioned from the beginning to fear God. But God should not be feared as He never harms anyone even the worst of criminals. He will always guide them to ment their ways. So no one should fear God. We all should love him and seek His guidence to lead a better life.

I thought fear was close to hate with some emotion of terror, when I googled fear it becomes what people want it to be, it says to god fear is respect, and awe but I just beg to differ in all sense of the definition when I searched it.

'God's love' tends to be a control tool used either as the carrot or the stick. It's just a hangover from the early pre-Christian days of yore. The familiar figures here were Odin/Woden/Wotan who might just as easily let you down as support you.

5. Dr Pran Rangan profile image77
    Dr Pran Ranganposted 11 years ago

Fear and respect are two different emotions having many connotations. Fear has many meanings and expressions. It may arise from possible danger or pain or any unknown adverse outcome of a situation or event. Fear is associated with an urge to escape... read more

6. leakeem profile image81
    leakeemposted 11 years ago

no. As Yoda says "fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." You would not hate someone you respect right? nor will you suffer if you respect someone. There is always some level of fear when there is respect but respect isn't always present when you fear someone.

I just fine respect and fear on the opposite end but it's how some people define fear that makes me feel how certain situations are so manipulated to bring one message across while instilling another

7. alancaster149 profile image75
    alancaster149posted 11 years ago

Fear is not respect. Whereas fear stems from a sense of inferiority or distrust, respect stems from being equal - in all respects.
    You feared the likes of Hitler and Stalin because of what they were likely to do to you if you stepped out of line. You respected the likes of Churchill and Roosevelt because they respected you, and even if you disagreed with them you'd still be able to come to agreement with them later.
    Your relationship with your god depends on how you see yourself.

Not sure I have a relationship with god or if there is I don't know about it.  I keep hearing people speak about fear in the same sense I would think its respect and vice versa, it's weird.

That last line was for those that do 'have a relationship' in an abstract sense. Everybody has something that either sets them on edge or gives them comfort - it can even be the same thing.

8. royalblkrose profile image60
    royalblkroseposted 11 years ago

absolutely NOT. respect is earned, and an acknowledgement that you care for and hold in high esteem a person or relationship and you want the other party( the one you RESPECT,) to see you in a positive light, as you see them

FEAR, on the other hand means that you are uncomfortable around the other person, they exercise some kind of power or authority over you and they exercise that power or authority in a manner that leaves you feeling threatened, uncomfortable and weak.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)