What sounds remind you of your childhood?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Terri Meredith profile image68
    Terri Meredithposted 11 years ago

What sounds remind you of your childhood?

Whenever I hear music that sounds like the ice cream truck, I'm taken back to hot summer evening when all of us would throw our bicycles, balls, and bats and run screaming "Ice Cream!" to race to where it was parked.  Certain songs take me back, too.

2. Happyboomernurse profile image84
    Happyboomernurseposted 11 years ago

The ice cream truck comes to mind, mostly because during the summer months, we currently have a truck that comes through our neighborhood several times a week in the early evening hours. I still want to run out to it every time I hear the music, but so far, have resisted the temptation to do so.
    Children's laughter always makes me feel good and brings back fond memories of laughing with my friends as a child.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Music will do it for me.  One of my dad's favorite songs was El Paso by Marty Robbins. Also we had a clock that my dad wound every seventh day and it chimed every fifteen minutes.  When I hear Westminster chimes on any clock, I immediately am taken back to the past.

4. Frenchtoast78 profile image61
    Frenchtoast78posted 11 years ago

The sound of a busy street on a market day reminds me of my childhood. We used to live in a two-floor apartment. The first floor was a grocery store and during market day, it was just too noisy and I didn't want to wake up until it's over. But the noise always wakes me up.

That kind of noise transports me back to my old bed when I was a kid.

5. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

This is quite a fascinating question,Terri, and one I can easily answer.  Big Band Era music, especially songs that feature a tenor sax (my Dad was a musician who played sax)....and any of the Movie Classics of that era ('40's/'50's/'60's)  The fashions the actors wore, remind me of the clothes my parents wore and in all the picture albums that we have of our parents when they were first married.
    These things stir memories of our childhood and are very sweet and touching memories.

Terri Meredithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The minute I read "Big Band" it took me back to my childhood best friend and her grandfather.  He used to sit in his recliner listening to it for hours.  Of course, we thought he was just sooooo out of sync with the times.

6. Karen Hellier profile image87
    Karen Hellierposted 11 years ago

The first thing I thought of also was the ice cream truck. I guess that's a big one for a lot of us here. Also, the sound of ocean waves crashing against the shore because my mom took us to the beach in the summer quite often.

I've loved the ocean since the first time I ever saw it.  The sound of seagulls is a sound that takes me back to that first time.

7. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

The answers that pop into my mind right off the bat are the sound of cicadas in the summer, and any of the 70's-early 80s funk and R&B music.

Ahhhh, I love the music of the 70's and 80's!  But have adult memories of the 80's.  smile

8. btrbell profile image86
    btrbellposted 11 years ago

Ok. Don't laugh but sometimes I hear the sound of the the bells ringing for passing periods in school. Often department and grocery stores sound a chime like that before an announcement. But before the announcement, when I first hear the chime, I think....school's out!!!!!!!!!!

bet it's a disappointment when you realize you're not really done with whatever you're doing at the time.  smile

9. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Thunder, reminds me of hurricanes as a child. Sitting on the kitchen floor with blankets and candles all around. My parents were out on a date night when the hurricane picked up pace and hit the shore. So I was babysitting my brother and sister when the storm hit.

must have been a bit scary.  I love thunderstorms at any time!

1. lburmaster profile image72
        lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't remember it being scary. I actually enjoyed it. The only part that worried us was when our parents would be home and if they would actually try to drive in the storm.

2. Conservative Lady profile image71
      Conservative Ladyposted 11 years ago

Anyone playing the harmonica, my Dad plays harmonica tunes all the time and he has for as long as I can remember. It is a great "take me back" sound that makes me feel happy every time I hear it.

My grandfather used to play the "spoons".  It's becoming a forgotten art, but when I hear the sounds and rhythms of spoons, I immediately think of sitting on his lap as a very small child and grabbing for the spoons.

3. Seafarer Mama profile image80
      Seafarer Mamaposted 11 years ago

What a delightful question for us to answer! Enjoyed reading all of the answers that have been posted to date.

The sound of crickets and wood frogs at night, ice cream truck bells, train whistles, and "Puff the Magic Dragon" sung by PP&M.

Dogs barking, too. I loved my pet poodle. :0)

4. profile image0
      CatsPageposted 11 years ago

If you can believe it, the sound of a window air conditioner running. smile  When I was a kid, my home didn't have central air, and I can remember falling asleep in the summer after a long day at the beach to the sound of the air conditioner running.  It would put me to sleep..

5. Lady Wordsmith profile image75
      Lady Wordsmithposted 11 years ago

Hot oil bubbling away in a proper chip pan, ABBA and Queen on the radio, The Sullivans on the telly.  The Dallas and Dynasty theme tunes, muffled because I was in bed when my mum watched them downstairs.  Zzzzzz, zzzzzz, zzzzzzz, zzzzzz - that's the sound of a knitting machine that my mum used to use to make jumpers to sell.

I think we must have gone out for fresh air sometimes, but the only sounds I can bring to mind just now are indoors sounds!  Working class, terraced house sounds from the late 70s and early 80s.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Fried chicken & red rice on a Sunday.  My late father was a great cook.  He cooked those things frequently for Sunday dinner.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)