New runner!!

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)
  1. chrissie123 profile image61
    chrissie123posted 14 years ago

I'm taking up running. I started not to long ago. I am really likeing it. I want to get myself to running 3 miles a day any advice?

1. hubby7 profile image63
      hubby7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've been running for over 25 years. It's my favorite form of exercise together with biking. My advice to you is that you let your running come to you and not you to your running. In other words, listen to your body. Increase your speed when your body tells you to increase your speed. Increase your distance when your body tells you to do so. Break your goal up into smaller parts. Strive to run only a half or a single mile at a comfortable pace at first. As you become comfortable running a mile with no problem, move on to set your next goal at 1.5 or 2 miles. Once you are comfortable running 2 miles, set your goal at 2.5 or 3 miles. Always listen to your body! It will tell you when to run faster or how far to run. My point is that your goals should not be made in concrete. They are mere general guidelines that are subordinate to what your body tells you to do or what you are capable of.

One thing more: Since you LIKE running, you are already ahead of the ball game. You are doing something you like. No one has to spur you on. Before you know it, you will be running 3 miles. I have absolute CONFIDENCE in your achieving your goal! Good luck!

chrissie123posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks this helps alot!!!!! I really appreciate your advice! I can do this!

2. Drew Breezzy profile image62
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

don't over do it speed wise  take it easy and slowly increase distance and speed.

Are you planning to race? or get in shape? what are your goals?

I just want to get in shape. I dont want to do much weight training. Arobics just seems the route for me. I wanna healthy and exercise more. I usually jog for 30 mins every night. Every other night i do strech and tonning workouts on my jumbo exercise ball. (I also hulla hoop alot sounds dumb but i can feel it hitting my abs pretty good plus its not hard for me to do)

3. Drew Breezzy profile image62
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

don't over do it speed wise  take it easy and slowly increase distance and speed.

Are you planning to race? or get in shape? what are your goals?

Oh and i dont have much to go before i reach my goals I am down to 125 and wanna be between 115 and 120 not any lower.

2. blue dog profile image61
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

keep running.

faster.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And in the other direction smile

3. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

WOW! You are going to be super fit! I run a little, well actually it's more like a jog. I make sure I have some water on me because i get real thirsty. Wear a good and comfortable pair of trainers, always do some streches before and after running and I listen to my mp3 player.

Thanks for the advice!! I'm trying to get really healthy while im still young and have all of this time on my hands.

4. Ellen_C profile image67
    Ellen_Cposted 14 years ago

Are you wearing the right shoes? A lot of my hubs are related to choosing the right shoe. I didn't really start running a lot until I realized I was wearing the wrong shoes, they hurt my feet and my knees and I didn't want to run. When you don't have to think about how your feet or knees feel, you can focus on your breathing and concentrate on the task of running.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)