Why would a person want taut and tease a wild animal?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. nina64 profile image68
    nina64posted 11 years ago

Why would a person want taut and tease a wild animal?

Upon hearing the story about the young man who jumped over the 17 foot fence "to be one"  with a 400 pound siberian tiger, I couldn't help but to wonder why he would put himself in harm's way.  He barely escaped from the jaws of this animal. To me, his wanting to be one with this creature almost cost him his life; and stupid to say the least. When you know better, you do better. What's your opinion?

2. Theophanes profile image88
    Theophanesposted 11 years ago

Because people are idiots. I wish I had a more eloquent answer but really... this guy spent his time reading New Age mush and posting peaceful idyllic photos of wild animals on his FaceBook page. It didn't say but I am guessing he also lived deep in the city where the most dangerous wildlife you're likely to see are pigeons and rats. Its clear by his statements that he was not thinking, "If I jump into the tiger enclosure I'll be eaten." He states he got what he wanted - to pet the tiger. Pet it. Like a really big house cat. I'd hate to say it but some people probably think zoo animals are just big and domesticated by captivity. They can't fathom how and why you would keep something that dangerous so they make up the fact they're not. Just goes back to being an idiot....

3. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

I would have to at least say the tiger 'won' in this encounter.  Some people are just plain stupid.  I believe he has some 'issues' with wanting to be "one with the tiger", possibly his way of attempting suicide.  A stay in a mental hospital may help him.  Maybe this was his 15 minutes of fame who knows.  If you mess with a wild animal, you should expect something bad to happen to you.  Kinda like the man who lived with the grizzly bears, look what happened to him.  Just sayin....

4. Raptorcat profile image72
    Raptorcatposted 11 years ago

Stupid people do some pretty stupid things.  Growing up, I was a member of the Cub Scouts and it was drilled into us that wild animals are not the same as domesticated animals (this was long before the far right wing religious nuts took over).

In my 51 years of living, I have spent a lot of time in the wild and some of that in close proximity to everything from bears to racoons to wild pigs.

Only twice was I tempted to get close to any of them in their environment; once was an accidental encounter with a mother deer and her fawn.
      I only got close enough to take a picture and watch them a few minutes before moving on.
      The other was when I came home and found a burrowing owl in a bush near my front door one night.  We just stared at each other, communing, for quite a while before it flew off into the night.

Both were very exciting experiences, in their own way, but neither time did I place myself in close enough proximity to become a threat to these wonderful and amazing creatures.  Because, even though deer are rather passive, I know that even a deer can become aggressive if it feels threatened or challenged, particularly when it has one of it's offspring to care for.
      And Burrowing owls are, like all raptors, predators and will fight before fleeing, if they feel threatened.

As a species, we spent the past few hundred thousand years evolving away from our cousins in nature.  We should get back in touch with them, but not in the ways that so many fools have tried.  It is dangerously foolhardy and does nothing but create problems and fear.

Respect nature and it will teach us a lot.  Respect it's power and we will be amazed and educated by it.  Go in like a fool and we will reap the penalties for our foolishness.

5. Ann1Az2 profile image74
    Ann1Az2posted 11 years ago

Perhaps he was seduced by the unknown. Big cats in particular have a lure about them. Still, he was pretty foolish to jump the fence. There's a reason the fence is there in the first place.

6. Melissa A Smith profile image95
    Melissa A Smithposted 11 years ago

The existence of people doing unusual and stupid things is not new. Many people drink and drive despite the consequences being well known, and even endanger their fellow humans. Just because this situation is extra unique doesn't make it a particularly more shocking example, but of course, people are prompted to become aroused by unique situations.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)