What is the hardest part of being a percussionist?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

What is the hardest part of being a percussionist?

2. JetterV7 profile image66
    JetterV7posted 11 years ago

For me (when I was young) it was learning all of the different instruments and learning "odd timings". Now it seems to be keeping up with all of the new technology coming out.

3. TheCranberryBarn profile image62
    TheCranberryBarnposted 11 years ago

As a Band Director, I can tell you the hardest part of playing any instrument is the self discipline that is needed to consistently practice.  For a percussionist, learning all the different instruments in the percussion family can be daunting.  It's a huge family.

People, (including drummers), tend to see percussion as a snare drum.  That's barely the tip of the iceberg.  The instruments range from drums, to mallet instruments, to chimes.  Here's a link to a nice list of percussion instruments:  http://www.ranker.com/list/percussion-i … reference.

In terms of playing, the hardest thing for my percussion students to grasp is how to play accents.  They feel if the give a slightly harder tap, then the accent is audible.  Not so.  An accent on percussion means you have to hit the instrument significantly harder.  That way the audience isn't guessing whether something was different or not - they know.

Do you have a budding percussionist in your family?

4. MarleneB profile image91
    MarleneBposted 11 years ago

I was the worship leader in a contemporary Christian rock band until I retired. To me, the hardest part of being a percussionist was getting the timing right. The drummer was excellent, but I played all the little percussion instruments like the bells and tambourine. It was sometimes difficult to keep up the timing while singing. Nevertheless, it was still enjoyable.

5. MS3Land profile image60
    MS3Landposted 11 years ago

Jokingly, it would be lugging around the numerous & heavy equipment! However, in my mind there is one major difficulty in being a drummer / percussionist. This is the tendency of mistakenly "speeding up" the tempo when playing drums to songs. I've noticed many drummers do this including those in long established bands. And, I believe it is most difficult when one is “in the zone”. Being in the zone is losing oneself in the music, where nothing else exists, & it is extremely pleasurable!
        Another item, in my humble opinion, is reading tablature, which is the contemporary method of writing orchestration(s) for drum sets.  X's Are positioned on a line in a measure showing where / when each instrument is to be struck..This is as opposed to traditional musical notations with whole, half, quarter, eighth notes etc. And so, reading the score is more-so involved as opposed to playing a single percussion instrument such as the timpani, or the snare drum. And as well, there is the physical work /  nature of playing the drums. One must remember that all the appendages of the human body, both feet, arms / hands are actively used when performing on drums, so there is the physical end of it as well. One must be in fairly good shape to do an awesome “Wipe Out” on the drums!
    Should you want to see an amazing drummer check out Jeff Beck's "Space Boogie" on YouTube. Jeff Beck is a progressive rock / fusion instrumentalist from the '70's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPc819ryy0g

6. John Galve profile image65
    John Galveposted 8 years ago

Been a drummer for our church and various bands for 6 more years and also a record producer. For me the hardest part being a percussionist is the dynamics, not timing. Timing should be the easiest because it is expected of a percussionist. Finding the right dynamics on a music can be tricky. When you roll, you should tell the singer, other musicians and the crowd if it will be the climax, to low or high the volume, also noting the genre of the song. Not all sort of rolling, match the genre of the song.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)