Has 'writer's block' affected you at any point of time? How do you deal with it?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. ChitrangadaSharan profile image89
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

Has 'writer's block' affected you at any point of time? How do you deal with it?

2. richie222 profile image60
    richie222posted 11 years ago

Hi, For me -- it's easy -- been doing it for years. Simply write whatever it is you've decided to write about -- do  NO revisions -- go back in about a day or so -- reread and revise -- duplicate the process once more -- leave the second rewrite for about three days -- tweak and submit. Yes, I firmly believe any writer worth their "salt" will run up against a blank wall, once in awhile. So be it. Simply walk around that "wall" in the manner I've described --(see below)  I'd be surprised if it DIDN'T work! PS Think back on your lifes experiences and adventures, be it: home;school; work; country; "street" stuff; kids; family; tradition; custom; whatever --  just dig as deep as you must to come up with a story or explanation  you'd like to share -- even a good recipe is welcome -- just write it all down and adjust it, as I've described. Good luck. Mr. Rick

ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Mr. Rick! Your suggestions are so practical and  I am sure many writers here must be doing the same.  Thanks for your response.

3. profile image0
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 11 years ago

ChitrangadaSharan,

'Writer's block,' has not affected me that much. I will say though, that when it has I've done the same thing. I read it in a book entitled 'Writing the Natural Way.' What it is, is brainstorming. You draw a circle and write something in the middle. From there you draw lines to other circles, and you fill in ideas that come from the first  circle. You do this until you run out of ideas or paper as the case may be. This stimulates writing ideas. It works. Try it.

Lisa

That's a great and interesting idea. Definitely going to try it, when I  face the above mentioned problem. Thanks for your interesting answer.

4. e-five profile image93
    e-fiveposted 11 years ago

Ah, the tyranny of the blank page... or in a more updated framing, that damned blinking cursor!  I usually do something mindless but productive to give me inspiration-- cleaning the house, taking a shower, taking a walk around the neighborhood, washing the dishes, or mowing the lawn.  I also think it's important to jot down ideas when they come, with a phrase or two to get you going, so you can come back to it later.  Sometimes just trying to write about a small but important autobiographical event can also get things going.

I agree with you---most of my writings are spontaneous. Sometimes, I do jot down ideas, as they occur in my mind, to expand later---. Thanks for taking time to respond to the question.

5. Wayne Brown profile image80
    Wayne Brownposted 11 years ago

I find that it does if I stay in one genre...i.e. political essays.  I write politically, fiction/adventure, human interest stories, and poetry.  Usually when one is difficult to spark, one of the others is not.  So, I believe that is the secret...broaden your horizon.  It is also very challenging and it will expand your skillset expotentially.  ~!WB

Thanks Wayne Brown, for your response to the question. I agree with your views '--broaden your horizon.'  Variety, as they say is the spice of life. Thanks for your opinion.  Have a good day.

6. Andrea Rose profile image68
    Andrea Roseposted 11 years ago

I am currently suffering from the curse of writers block, but there is a little exercise that I find helpful and may ease the gears of your creative thought. Write a couple topic on pieces of paper. At least ten. Then put them into a hat, bowl, or some container. Draw one out and try to write about it for fifteen minutes. If this doesn't. Help you at least got a nice little piece of free writing to maybe expand into something more later. Hope this helps. XD

Thanks Andrea Rose, for your response to the question. That's an interesting exercise and I would try it if I suffer from this  problem. Thanks again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)