What's up with people that want to correct your personal opinion or view about a

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. snapbackbetty profile image64
    snapbackbettyposted 11 years ago

What's up with people that want to correct your personal opinion or view about a subject?

Everyone is entitled to their own opionion. If someone says something I don't agree with I don't try to change their mind or make them feel they shouldn't feel a certain way. I only offer my opinion on the subject. What they do after that is up to them.

2. profile image0
    il Scetticoposted 11 years ago

If someone believes, or has strong feelings about something (like religion, health care, due process rights, etc.), and someone has an opposing view to them, they simply want to put their opinion out in the open to help change someone's view to what they believe is a better one.

If you had a very close friend who was using cocaine, and believed it would not hurt him even if he took it multiple times in an hour, would you try to help him by replacing his view of it with yours?

Most people who try to "force" their opinion on someone else simply have a problem communicating: they let their emotions get in the way because they care about it, or they are in the heat of the moment, and stop thinking rationally, and start cramming things down your throat hoping you will see it their way.

Personally, I love hearing someones views, especially if they are against mine because it gives me a broader understanding of the subject, and of what other people around me are thinking and feeling.

snapbackbettyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great answer. I also like hearing other peoples point of view.I just wish more people knew how to agree to disagree. The next time this happens to me I will take into consideration that the other person may not know how to communicate well. Thanks!

2. lupine profile image66
      lupineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When someone tries to "force" their opinion on you, that's when one becomes resistant, even if trying to help. It is a good idea to have an open mind and respect someone else's opinion, let them decide.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

People who want to correct your personal opinions and views do so because they think they are somehow smarter than you are or know more than you know.  Your attitude is the right one and it's too bad others don't follow suit!

I often think that they feel they are smarter than me too. Thanks for your answer.

4. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

Someone may want to change their view because they are convinced that their view is the "right" view. Some will do this in a professional manner that might cause you to rethink part of your viewpoint or not. The result is that the readers have two intelligent views to consider and from that may form a third view that provides some consensus.

Some people are never wrong and will tell you so. There is one hubber who states on his profile page that he will voice his opinion and you should not argue with him, because there are his views. This does not fall into the open-minded category.

I think your explanation sums up the matter very well. Unfortunately everyone does not share such a civil approach. I once offered a comment to a hub and one one remarked "well that shows you how little Larry Wall knows about" the subject that was being discussed. He did not offer any explanation and no one picked up on what he said, thus his efforts to change the view was futile.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. People who basically agree will often have some minor differences. This is an ideal situation because that is where the flaws in the opinions can be aired out and a more accurate consensus reached.

I agree. Thanks for your answer.

5. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I live with a real problem of having a few too many people feel free to correct what I say (in offline life).  Being a woman (and not an intimidating one), I seem to bring out the mother, father, or teacher in people; and it doesn't just drive me nuts...  It disgusts me because I can say something about MYSELF and STILL have someone else second-guess or correct me.  So people who can't seem to get it through their heads that a grown, middle-aged, person isn't a child who needs "correction" (and by someone who really doesn't know what he's talking about either), I don't know what the answer is.  (Either tell them off and destroy relationships or live with it and maybe find some humor it - of something).

BUT, on the other side of things, I know there have been plenty of times in discussions when I'll offer a different point-of-view (which is different from a "correction") because I really do assume (sometimes incorrectly) that the other person enjoys sharing different points-of-view as much as I do.  So, correcting isn't my motive, but I can see how the person who doesn't enjoy "back-and-forth" discussion regularly may see it as that.

Sometimes, though, I am actually guilty of well intentioned "correcting" online.  For example, a teenage girl may say something like, "My mother doesn't want me to go out with my boyfriend because she's just jealous of me and wishes she were young and dating."  I certainly wouldn't presume to act as if I know for a fact that the girl's mother isn't jealous of her (because maybe she is); but here's the kind of thing I might do:  I might say something like, "There's a chance your mother isn't jealous of you, and maybe there's something about your boyfriend that she's worried about."  Then I might go on to add that I'm a mother who has had a teen daughter, and there have been times I didn't like the boyfriend and it had nothing whatsoever to do with my being jealous.  So, it's a correction; but it's not opinion.  As someone with lots of friends who are mothers, I know that jealousy is not the reason so many don't like boyfriends.  What am I thinking when I hope to point out that maybe the mother's motives aren't jealousy?  I'm hoping to, maybe, offer objective feedback/perspective from someone who may have something additional to offer.  if she sees more to possible picture maybe she'll figure out her own correct answer more easily.  I mean well and see it as a Devil's Advocate thing - not really correcting her.

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

With people spreading their entire lives out in the social media world, they should expect comments. I think if people quit sharing so much information, people might not feel others are trying to run their lives or change their opinions.

2. snapbackbetty profile image64

I completely understand. It's good to give other perspectives but how you give it makes a world of difference. Offering a different perspective instead of telling someone they are flat out wrong can really change the outcome of how a person reacts.

6. lupine profile image66
    lupineposted 11 years ago

There is nothing wrong with someone wanting to voice their opinion, as long as they are respectful, but to be insistant and correct someone could be degrading to both.

So true.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)