Is it true that after the graduation of studying literature , it is hard to fin

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. ceyda profile image59
    ceydaposted 11 years ago

Is it true that  after the graduation of studying literature , it is hard to find the job ?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7357156_f260.jpg

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

That would depend on the actual degree.  You might be able to find a job at the college level if you have an MA but literature itself as a major is not too marketable.  You should try to combine that degree with another for, say, secondary teaching.

1. ceyda profile image59
      ceydaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

ı will take into consideration to do it .thanks . after getting to approach the time when ı  will graduate,ı am getting  my full of  doubs about havıng job  smile

3. SpiritLeo profile image63
    SpiritLeoposted 11 years ago

I think, it's not easy. But don't give up! There is always a solution!

4. Life and Luxury profile image86
    Life and Luxuryposted 11 years ago

Not true. I became an editor after graduation with a good salary. English majors are usually editors, teachers, or technical writers, and these folks are always needed. There might be too many graduates to fill the positions, but this is true of most vocations.

1. ceyda profile image59

ıt ıs really great job making a editor . ı was just thınkıng that maybe ıt can be also some differences between countries in terms of the demands of the job .

5. StephanieBCrosby profile image81
    StephanieBCrosbyposted 11 years ago

My response is along the same lines as Life and Luxury's answer. The short answer is "no."

I majored in English and earned my teaching certification at the same time. I was offered and accepted a high school teaching position before I graduated. After three years and no tenure offer, I was able to easily transition to being an instructor at the college level (I had earned my M.A. in English while teaching high school). And that is what I have been doing ever since. But I have also added on tutoring, consulting, and so on (a whole business matter of fact--Crosby Educational Consulting).

There is a misconception that humanities degrees and/or liberal arts degrees are becoming too useless. Many people base this on not getting a high paying job out of college. But as a note from all my lawyer and doctor friends, they end up making the same amount as me basically because their debt is so high. Plus, I can market myself for almost any field as a writer, editor, and so on. Every business and job requires some form of writing and editing, and often those with technical skills do not care to do it. So we step in. 

Now it is true that if you are trying to get a Literature position as a professor that the odds are slim. But you can always get your foot in the door by being an adjunct English professor. Or, you can try to work for a publishing house or something along those lines.

1. ceyda profile image59

ı felt really relax after reading it. when ı read some articles, ı am really stressed when ı saw "restricted job"ıncluding literature or when sb asks me why did you choose literature?ı choose  it with my all heart  and shape my life wıth ıt.thanks smile

2. Life and Luxury profile image86
      Life and Luxuryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen!

6. Rhonda_M profile image71
    Rhonda_Mposted 11 years ago

If you are enterprising and flexible you can find a job by promoting writing skills or teaching skills. It doesn't hurt to get a graduate degree (the minimum credential for teaching in a college), and some training in community college or con ed courses in website writing, copy writing or journalism. If you want to teach literature, get a Phd, and you will be eligible to teach in a university.

1. ceyda profile image59

the system basically works with the grammer rule of englısh in terms of writing skill. ıt ıs good to hear that we have so many options to select and give a direction to our life way.

7. c-m-hall profile image60
    c-m-hallposted 11 years ago

Not if you're savvy. Just having graduated you can get any job that has at least something to do with where your interest lies ... have to start somewhere. Anywhere!  Just go for it and do your very best no matter what it is and before you know it you will climb! Have ENERGY! Good luck!

1. ceyda profile image59

Thank you so much.. after reading all of your comments ı really took inspiration which ı understood that nothing is impossible if we try to do our best..

8. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

No; your major usually doesn't matter with a BA. Most bozos who say otherwise don't know what they're talking about. The American idea that college degrees are like trade certifications is dead wrong. I know people with law degrees who are waiting tables for a living. There's actually no such thing as a degree in literature anyway. The degree is called a BA and that's what you put on your resume. I became a director of sales with a BA (majored in history). My degree never held me back. As long as I had a degree, no one cared what it was in.

1. ceyda profile image59

as you said ,every year the need of the job differs from branches to the another one. ıt ıs also related to the development of the ındıvıdual hımself too.

9. nisargmehta profile image68
    nisargmehtaposted 11 years ago

I agree, as Language, which we consider to be most crucial aspect for any person, is over looked when it comes to professionalizing it. Technology and Commerce are considered most important segments when considering for graduation, which are of no use if there is no proper Language and its application. Companies who overlook are more vulnerable than any other as without language employees cannot connect with one another and so can't the company as a whole connect to their consumers / clients / customers. Awfully it's the fact anyways.

1. ceyda profile image59

,there can be so skillful workers in technology and commerce who are not  enough sufficiant to be good at in english,on the other hand  some people can be professional at english but insufficiant at them.Master degree in another branch sounds logical

10. Missing Link profile image67
    Missing Linkposted 11 years ago

The first year out of college tends to be rough and an ass kicker in general. If you persist and work hard something will come along.  What comes along may not have to do directly with your past studies but past studies, and the college experience  in general, will be quite an attribute.  If you hang in there, persist and can deal with suffering, in time, things will come your way.  Your question really isn't phrased in a way indicative of a literature major (no offense) but perhaps you are just relaxing per being in the Hubpages community....like many of us do.  Because you are concerned I believe you will do well.  I have a feeling and believe things will go well for you.  Don't forget, suffering often comes first before you get what you want.

1. ceyda profile image59

That's right .because as a literature student ,ı wanted to give our voice as all students ,even ın our daily conversation  we are thinking what we will do after graduatıon and many different ideas to give a shape our future. Thank s a lot .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)