What are we going to do with all of the old books, sitting unread, on shelves ar

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. brblog profile image80
    brblogposted 11 years ago

What are we going to do with all of the old books, sitting unread, on shelves around the world.

In this digital age, with the decline of print, there are millions and millions of books sitting on shelves in homes, libraries and other places that seem destined for the scrap heap. I wrote a Hub about sustainable construction and another hubber asked me if there was any use for all of the books - and I quote, "Can I build a house with them? Can I burn them in a fluidised bed combustion and turn them into bio-char? Can I use them to build retaining walls? Ideas welcome on sustainable design using old books." Most of us love books, so what are we going to do?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7385958_f260.jpg

2. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

That's a very  relevant question. Like you, even I feel very much concerned about all the books lying at our homes, libraries and elsewhere around the world.
    It would be great if people again start taking interest in the books. I can not think anything other than this-----Treasure them, take care of them for future generations.

brblogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Chitrangada Sharan,

Thanks for your comment. Libraries are already clearing the shelves of many books, especially reference material. I wonder where they all end-up?

3. micadeolu profile image50
    micadeoluposted 11 years ago

I guess the best thing is to create academic orientation for students and encourage them to convert these books to digital resource which stake holders of education and interested individuals or groups can edit and publish on the web. Some may call this piracy but our law makers can do something about that; and make a law provision that will allow such to take place.

I like your observation and I think its worth considering to prepare our youth for the challenges coming before them in the next generations.

micadeolu,

I agree, they do need to be digitized but what about the physical book - what do we do with these?

2. micadeolu profile image50
      micadeoluposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, once digitized in a manner generations to come will still benefit from them we have no more use for them again. As I type these words now an idea just came in that we humans should find means of recording events that will survive for ages.

4. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Well considering there are so many countries who have no access to nooks and kindles and such, maybe we should start donating the unused to those countries.

peeples,

Thanks for you comment, that would be a worthy effort.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 11 years ago

Personally, I'm having trouble switching to the digital age of books. I've owned a kindle for almost a year now, and I read a total of one and a half novels on it. Meanwhile I read over ten physical books in that same span of time. I think that for a lot of avid readers, books will become decoration. For example, my dream house has always included a study/library where I line the walls with shelves and fill those shelves with books. I cant exactly do that with a collection of ebooks. Not everyone will want a room like that, but imagine how dull bookstores, libraries and studies would be without the physical volumes.

M.T. - thanks for the comment,

I'm sure there are many who share your sentiment but I wonder about future generations growing-up with digital mindset. I have two in middle-school who are using laptops and have some textbooks on-line.

6. austinhealy profile image73
    austinhealyposted 11 years ago

I am convinced a lot of books will be disposed of in an undignified way as you suggested. However, I am also convinced that many will stay around and will remain appreciated by a large number of people. The best of them will become collector's items, as it happened with paintings or cars of the past for example. I am sure people who have large libraries will pass them on to their heirs. I mean if people collect matchboxes, which are useless, at least you can read a book and get something out of it. So, even though I fear a large number of books will be gone, enough will be preserved for future generations to laugh at the way their ancestors used to read. Sad, but a sure sign of the times. Great question about a real concern !

austinhealy,

Right, books may become collector's items (not just rare books) - modern printing allowed us to take books for granted but if there are less books, we may grow to appreciate them more - like people did back when printing was harder.

7. aspiretoinspire profile image59
    aspiretoinspireposted 11 years ago

Like others have said, we could give them to people in countries who don't have much access to books. BUT we could digitise them all first, so that they could be accessed online, by everyone, eventually (after copyright expires, I guess).

I hear Google Books is digitising a lot of books.

I love books, so if I have to give them away, I usually pass them on to friends/family/charity store.

aspiretoinspire,

Thanks for the comment - Google Books and some other on-line sources (Internet Archive) have been putting older (and sometimes hard to find) books on line at an amazing pace - but we will still have lots of books laying around.

8. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

My little kids used to take my nice cookbook set and make stairs out of all the books.  Maybe that's something we all should be considering.    smile  smile

Yes, the intent of the original question was: what else can we do with books - build a house?

9. viveresperando profile image64
    viveresperandoposted 11 years ago

We could donate our books to the libraries so they can add more to their collections that can be used, shared, and loved by our communities.  I am struggling with the fact that I need to let go of a lot of my printed treasures, *sigh*.  it is not easy, but totally loving my Kindle and loving the fact that it is currently holding 1000+ treasures for me to enjoy.   I could never hold 1000 books in my hand, giggles.

Thanks for the comment - as an Architect that worked on a couple of libraries, I can tell you that many are trying to get rid of lots off books.

10. phillippeengel profile image82
    phillippeengelposted 11 years ago

We cannot let archaic books to degrade just like that...these books can be donated to charities and other non-for-profit organizations since their value are low. Albeit the digital age is truly flourishing, there are some drawbacks we fail to realize, that in order to read texts on our computers, we consume electrical energy. Reading real books is one of the ways in which we can reduce our carbon footprint!

Thanks for the comment - we may need books when the power goes out!

11. multiculturalsoul profile image70
    multiculturalsoulposted 11 years ago

My books keep my bookshelves and bookcases true and square. If I remove too many of them, the shelves will fall and the bookcases will implode. I suppose the ones in boxes under the stairs are providing vital insulation to that part of the house.

Thanks for the comment - the bookshelf industry needs books to survive.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)