Do you have a niche or are you a generalist, and which is better in your view?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (24 posts)
  1. rfmoran profile image70
    rfmoranposted 11 years ago

Do you have a niche or are you a generalist, and which is better in your view?

2. L.L. Woodard profile image67
    L.L. Woodardposted 11 years ago

I have several niches that are more or less related. I mainly stick to these areas because they are the ones I feel can write to most effectively while interspersing knowledge gained from real-life experience.

Having said that, I find I would like to be more of a generalist so I would be able to tackle a wider variety of topics.

I don't believe that either niche or general writing is any better that the other, just different. Each writer should choose what ultimately works best for them.

Great question. I look forward to the answers of others.

rfmoranposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your comment L.L I have some totally unrelated niches (boating, law, business management) but I will often go off into the wild blue if I find a topic that interests me.

3. Dennis AuBuchon profile image63
    Dennis AuBuchonposted 11 years ago

I have a niche and I and I also am an generalist.  I believe having both of these aspects makes us better writers.  You can primarily concentrate on your niche but sometimes niches can be expanded into a generalist aspect.  The benefits of being a generalist is good as sometimes you can develop multiple niches by addressing various topics.  All of us have our niches which are sometimes developed over a period of time while being a generalist is more than likely how most of us start out with a concentration on particular subjects.

This is an interesting question one which we as writers must decide when we began writing.  There are always going to be an audience for any subject but it is how we approach that subject draws people into following us on a variety of social networking/writing sites such as hubpages.

With some exceptions Dennis, I think most writers are both niche writers and generalists. Some of the best columnists are like this, one day writing about politics, the next day about their kid's school.

2. skye2day profile image68
      skye2dayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Love your answer. Writing is a jouney into the heart and soul no matter the niche or topic. I think in time we discover allot about ourselves. It is when we stop growing that we need to take a look in the mirror. Great to meet you fellow hubber. Skye

4. JimTxMiller profile image78
    JimTxMillerposted 11 years ago

Niches are good unless you let them "pidgeon-hole" you. I'm a generalist and have been all my life (so far). Even as an old-school print journalist back in the dark ages, I covered every beat it was possible to cover, yes, even the "women's" pages! My mantra always has been A WRITER IS ONE WHO WRITES.

I didn't come here to be a niche writer; it just worked out that way...so far. I fell into writing about internet streaming TV because of an issue I had with ROKU, and it's developed into three hubs published and a few more in planning. Meanwhile, another hub or three about the dwarf planet Pluto are simmering on the back burner.

Thanks for your input Jim. A WRITER IS ONE WHO WRITES - Wow, that says it all. Looking forward to your Pluto hub!

5. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

I am all over the map, a generalist. However, as my catalog grows I find that certain subjects do draw me back, so I have groups of hubs. I suppose they do develop into niches of a sort, but I'll never stick to just one.

I'm with you Sherry. Although I do have a few areas of expertise, I could never ignore interesting topics just because they're "off-niche."

6. joanwz profile image82
    joanwzposted 11 years ago

I tend to be a generalist, though I have a few topic areas I like more than others. For me, personally, being a generalist is better because I would be bored if I was confined to specialize in one niche. However, for other writers, developing a niche works well, and they have become experts in that area.

Is one better than the other? DOn't know. I suppose, for some writers it's better to have a niche and for others it's better to be a generalist. It all depends on you style and preferences.

I too would be bored Joan if I stuck to one niche. I think this niche business is an outgrowth of the ubiquitous marketing seminars where we constantly hear "Fine your niche!" How about "Good Writer" as a niche?

7. NornsMercy profile image61
    NornsMercyposted 11 years ago

Definitely a generalist. This upset me at first because I thought maybe I didn't have anything to say like everyone else... but now, I just have fun writing about different subjects and concentrate on enjoying myself.

You have plenty to say and your hubs show it, which is why I'm now following you, my fellow generalist.

2. NornsMercy profile image61
      NornsMercyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! I'm honored! smile

8. skye2day profile image68
    skye2dayposted 11 years ago

rfmoran, Thank you for the question. Awesome view points. For me I love having a niche. I did not have one when I first got to the hubs. It was difficult to grab onto general topics for me, because it was so huge. I know I wanted to help others and to make money.(Money another story, but it does come in time) Into several months at the hubs I discovered my reason for being here. It was like I opened a gift and the weight fell from my shoulders. I no longer needed to write about anything.

In time I found that quality content is invaluable. It takes time and practice so I encourage anyone keep going and write on anything your heart so desires, it gets better so keep practicing. I chalked up my general topics as practice and started writing in my niche. The reason I was led to these pages.

For me I do not get bored in the least,  but challenged. Challenged to produce quality content. It is all a good thng. People always have and always will be searching for hope and encouragement. Especially in these days we live. My passion to help others was a dream, that became a reality and was a vision. Where there is no  vision my people perish.

If the reason to write comes from the heart general or niche, you cannot go wrong. For me my niche is why I on this planet earth. The hubs is a wonderful community to share your heart, be heard and share in the love.

I wish you all the best at the hubpages, rfmoran.  Skye

Skye, if your niche is to praise God and bring His message to others, please continue your niche because you do a wonderful job based on the hubs you've written. I have just followed you and look forward to your future hubs. Russ Moran

2. skye2day profile image68
      skye2dayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

aaahhhh thank you russ, I am touched with your comment and honored you stopped into my neighborhood for a read. I will be over to see what is shining on your pages as well. Awesome to meet you my friend. Skye

9. MichaelJohnMele profile image60
    MichaelJohnMeleposted 11 years ago

I don't really have a niche per se, I am kind of all over the place, but if you were to label me and/or writing style, I would say that humor would be a good word to describe me and my writings.

Humor is the greatest niche of all Michael.

10. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

I don't have a niche. Although my knowledge and expertise is in counseling and mental health, spirituality and outreach minstry, I love creating hubs and writing about all areas in which I'm involved or know something about. I will leave the counseling topics primarily to my business website although I have done a few here at hubpages. I feel that I'm still exploring as a writer and will eventually concentrate more in one area. So, in the meantime, if I feel like writing a hub about shoveling snow, I probably will :-)

I agree Jan. I write about what interests me, and I'm interested in a lot of things.

11. lorddraven2000 profile image90
    lorddraven2000posted 11 years ago

I guess I am a little of both. I have several niches that I write in, web optimization, firefighting, and paranormal topics, but I am also prone to just write what is on my mind really. Just depends on the mood I am in

I think most of us fall into this category - We have expertise and background in certain areas, but that doesn't stop us from writing about something that seizes our interest.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)