What is the best way for parents to encourage a reluctant reader?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)
  1. VirginiaLynne profile image92
    VirginiaLynneposted 11 years ago

What is the best way for parents to encourage a reluctant reader?

My husband and I and older children are all great readers but my youngest doesn't like to read as much.  What are some ways to encourage a child to read?  She is third grade and does read at grade level or above. I'd love any hints and suggestions!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6461544_f260.jpg

2. sallybea profile image95
    sallybeaposted 11 years ago

Let them read things you they know they will enjoy - even if the books are comic books. Just getting them used to reading something, is important!
    Spending time in the library with them, this is a great way for children to explore books - they get to hang out with other children there too and can sometimes enjoying having books read to them.  A week ago in a local library I saw young children enjoying singing with adults too.   It was brilliant.

1. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great advice. This is what I was going to say for the most part. Everyone has a subject or topic they (enjoy) reading. Once reading becomes a "habit" it can be transitioned to include other topics. The initial goal is to improve their reading level.

3. Thundermama profile image89
    Thundermamaposted 11 years ago

I think a desire to read will come when she finds a topic that motivates her. family trips to the library are always a good idea and trying to tap into a book series that she enjoys will get the ball rolling. having her read a book to you or one of her older siblings nightly could also work. Grade three may still be young to get the avid reader ball rolling. My oldest is now a voracious reader, but that didn't happen until she turned 12 and discovered the "fantasy,' genre. Give it time and continue to sharee your love of reading with her.

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Read a fun book together and act out the parts.  Read with accents and funny voices, do a few paragraphs, then it is her turn to do a paragraph.  I know not every child enjoys reading but reading together might do it.

As long as she reads at grade level, I wouldn't worry too much. My grown daughters are avid readers, but both went through stages as kids where they didn't want to read.  It worried me to death but it came out all right.

5. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image96
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 11 years ago

My daughter can be like this.  We have found she loves certain types of books, like "fact" books, like the guiness book of world record or things like that or humor.  We have gotten her many of these and she loves them.  When we find something she seems really interested in we will pick up a few in that series and hope that she reads them.  It has seemed to encourage her more.  I don't try to force her to read a certain type of book because it turns her off.  Sometimes, we just have her read game instructions or recipes...things like that.  It's tough because I'll read almost anything, but I have hope because every once in a while (very rarely) she'll find a book that she loves and reads it in 1 or 2 days.

6. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Read to them and read often. They will get the enjoyment out of the stories and then decide they can do the same for themselves.

7. GiblinGirl profile image73
    GiblinGirlposted 11 years ago

When I was younger my mom actually instituted a rule that we had to read the same number of hours that we watched television.  So if we wanted to watch an hour a day we had to somehow fit in seven hours of reading during that week.  It definitely motivated me to read - I usually had a reserve of about 10 hours I could dip into if I needed.

8. Annie Miller profile image64
    Annie Millerposted 11 years ago

I agree that enjoyment of reading may take time.

We had mandatory weekly trips to the school library with a follow-up book report on whatever book we checked out. I hated to read ... until third grade when I discovered  mythology. I was hooked.

My son was in junior high before he 'discovered' Stephen King. He is now an avid reader.

9. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

my younger son doesn't like to read when he was 3 years old. Then, i chose books with big pictures and single words, read to him everyday. Besides that, i used flash cards to teach him to read. Once, he knows the tactic to use phonics, he automatically knows how to read peter and jane book 1,2,3 and 4 at age 5. Now at age 6, he reads my SMS ! Sometimes, books with small text are too boring and hard to concentrate. Change to big text and lots of pictures to attract yr kids attention.

10. abbykorinnelee profile image54
    abbykorinneleeposted 11 years ago

Honestly?  I couldn't figure that one out so what we did is every two chapters he reads he earns Xbox 360 now...he found he likes the first book he is reading and it seems to have changed his beahvior a little too.  We made it a choice in a way but to him he has to do or he won't get extra time on the video games

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)