What are your thoughts on telecommuting?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Audrey Baker profile image77
    Audrey Bakerposted 11 years ago

What are your thoughts on telecommuting?

One way we could reduce our environmental footprint would be to telecommute. Do you think an option to telecommute would be beneficial for you or your company?

2. profile image0
    Casimiroposted 11 years ago

It can be if all the technology is in place, such as fast Internet, video, headset and mic. The job task set needs to fit as well. Most importantly,  your work place has to have a culture that is results oriented. Otherwise, it's too easy to get distracted by your home environment, which will impact your performance.

Audrey Bakerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. All good points. I've experienced issues with technology that wasn't in place.

3. CR Rookwood profile image72
    CR Rookwoodposted 11 years ago

Lots of people seem to like it, but often it is just a way of passing the cost of maintaining an office onto an employee. Lots of call center work is done at home now, for even less money, and you have to buy and maintain your own equipment to the standards of your employer.

Where I live, most jobs are in the service industry, which of course isn't the kind of thing for which telecommuting is an option. It's all very depressing and I don't see it getting better quickly. Hope I'm wrong.

True, it would be nearly impossible to wait a table from home! Though, there is a "robot" type of technology called the Beam that gives people a telepresence, so who knows what someday will bring!

4. LauraGT profile image86
    LauraGTposted 11 years ago

I do a little of both, some days working from home and others coming into the office.  I will say that I often get more work done at home, away from the distractions of coworkers. But, the flip side is true too, that when I work from home I often miss out on some water cooler (coffee pot?) conversations or the ability to just grab someone  for a quick question. It definitely depends on the culture of the company and the type of work you're doing.

I am with you on this. When I am at the office, I am far more distracted by my co-workers than any distractions my home office could bring. But it does take a person who can motivate himself or herself or the opposite is true.

5. Neil Sperling profile image58
    Neil Sperlingposted 11 years ago

I work from home and put in a good week. It is NOT for everyone as self discipline is not strong enough in a lot of people and they will waste more time doing domestic duties. I agree with Casimiro - a results based position is easier to achieve production in a home based work setting.

No one answer fits everyone.... no one answer fits every job activities.

That is true, everyone is different. I have even heard of people who have become depressed when they telecommuted because they need the in-person interaction.

2. Neil Sperling profile image58
      Neil Sperlingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree Audrey - working from home one "has" to go out for coffee with friends as there is no gossiping around the water fountain. LOL

And that can be lonely!

6. Li Galo profile image73
    Li Galoposted 11 years ago

Once you've gone to telecommuting, there's no way back!  I sometimes will temp for an office for a month or two but there's NO WAY I could do a 9-5 job again long term, like the old days.  I'm SO glad when those temp jobs end!  I'm telecommuting forever, from now on.  The more I write and work online, the less those temp jobs are needed.

I don't do anything domestic during my work hours and I get SO much more done at home than in an office.  I love it.  There's no better life than telecommuting.  I can travel all over the world and still report to work on time.

Traveling whenever is a great perk. I am like you; I don't mix home chores into a workday just because I am at home. It is easy for me to keep on task.

7. Rock_nj profile image91
    Rock_njposted 11 years ago

I think it's great!  There are times when I can't make it into the office due to bad weather, but I can still work from home.  It can be a challenge with distractions, but you have to try to seperate yourself from whatever else is going on around you. 

Speaking of telecommuting, I was surprised to hear that the new Yahoo CEO is now requiring all employees that work from home to instead report to a Yahoo office.  Being a new mom, I'd think she'd understand the good will and benefit of being flexible with employee work schedules.  Also, Yahoo is a tech company, and much of the work can be done anywhere.  Lastly, does she understand how much it's going to cost to put those employees (some of them probably not happy about the new arrangements) in office buildings?

True, it's excellent for days when you may have bad weather or a flat tire, or just don't feel 100% and don't want to spread germs.

I was surprised to hear that news also. I heard her justification and yet I still don't know what she is thinking.

8. Patriot Quest profile image61
    Patriot Questposted 11 years ago

hahaha for a moment I thought you were talking about communication through brain waves!.........so my answer was going to be if it works I dont need to write a comment because YOU ALREADY KNOW WHAT IM THINKING!..........hate it i didn't get to use that..........argh!!!! LOL

Sorry to disappoint you! Well, for what it's worth, you still made me laugh.

9. MarleneB profile image91
    MarleneBposted 11 years ago

I love it! Although, once I worked for a company that developed processes for telecommute programs. This company didn't even put trust in their own processes and did not allow their own employees to telecommute. Because of that, it was a hard sell. So, little by little, to show good faith the company started letting employees telecommute. At first, one day a week, then two, then three, then full-time. Once I started telecommuting full-time, I never wanted to work for a company that didn't offer it as an option. I have actually turned down offers simply because the company required employees to work on site. With all the technology we have today, I think it is silly for office workers to be required to be at a physical work location.

How ironic! It's good to hear they eventually got with the program.

I agree, it is quite silly.

10. ib radmasters profile image60
    ib radmastersposted 11 years ago

I think that telecommuting would have a more beneficial effect on removing gridlock from our highways. Environmental footprint reduction would be a minor bonus.

In California, even the shortest commutes take much longer than they should take. The price of gas in California is the highest in the lower 48 states. Less cars on the road reduce gridlock as well as one could expect a reduction in accidents as well.

Telecommuting would also be economically beneficial by reducing the overhead costs of travel to and from work. The government doesn't care how much it costs you to earn your gross income, and they don't make any allowances for your time and expenses of commuting.

I absolutely agree that fewer cars on the road, fewer accidents, and eliminating travel costs would be major bonuses. Time is a big one. All that time adds up quickly.

11. Angela Kane profile image60
    Angela Kaneposted 11 years ago

I think any person that can telecommute should be able to do so. The roads would be clear with less pollution and more people can be close to their families.

I agree. Hopefully we are moving in this direction and it will be offered to more and more employees. Of course, some people may not want to or lack the discipline - but for everyone else, the option to do so is a major perk.

12. xstatic profile image59
    xstaticposted 11 years ago

My wife works for two different companies, located in New Jersey and DC, as a corprate recruiter. She spends four or five hours a day on one and two or three on the other. It is interesting that she has never been to either site and has met no one in person either. She finds people they need, and works pretty hard all the time she is "on the clock." It has worked very well for her, and saves a lot of money on office clothing too.

When I talk about this with people, they sometimes say it just isn't the same as being face-to-face. I think face-to-face is nice, but not imperative. My husband telecommutes as well, and email, IM, phones, and video calls go a long way.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)