What is something nice you have done for a stranger?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image93
    sallybeaposted 11 years ago

What is something nice you have done for a stranger?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

The most important thing you can do for anyone, lead them to Jesus Christ.

sallybeaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your response JThomp42 have a great day.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome Sally. Wishing you a great day as well.

3. profile image0
    sharonjoeposted 11 years ago

Hello Sallybea!
    Great to see you !
    To answer your question - yes I do agree with JThomp42 , absolutely! Leading people to Christ is the best thing we can ever do to a stranger! But to lead people to Christ, we must put on Christ first, as the Bible says.
    Thereafter. the willingness to listen, observe keenly and give cheerfully go a long way in gaining the trust of a stranger.
    I would like to share a small example from my own life experiences: I was in a medical shop once, waiting for the medicines to be packed and given to me, when I noticed an old man with a torn, worn-out umbrella, standing behind.. I moved aside quickly, for one look at his wrinkled face told me he was quite sick and tired in his body too. He bought the medicines, which I observed were for severe asthmatic attacks. I watched him take the medicines with great difficulty and trying his best to walk to the bus station without staggering much. I told the medical shopkeeper that I would be back soon and went after this old person..stopped him midway and asked if he were alone.. he nodded affirmative. I then asked him where he needs to go., to which he named a place about 15 km away. I knew he could not get to his home safely if he took the local buses., so I told him to wait and called a cab, gave the address to the driver, paid the money and helped this old grandpa get onto the cab. With bewildered yet grateful eyes, he silently stared at me.. I smiled and said "am a Christ follower" and waved a bye. I have never met him since nor did I speak the Gospel to him in his time of need. But am sure he understood the love of Christ just then. Praise God!

The point I was trying to make is - all we need to do is look around.. and we will find dozens of opportunities to be nice to a stranger... and through our actions, may those who cross our paths, know the eternal love of our Savior Jesus Christ!

That is a great answer Sharonjoe, Your actions definitely speak louder than words.   It is those little kindnesses that go such a long way to help our fellow men. (women)  Thanks you so much, you have made my day.
      Blessings.

4. ExpectGreatThings profile image75
    ExpectGreatThingsposted 11 years ago

My family hosted several neighborhood soup nights this year. We went around and invited people from 30 houses near ours to join us for dinner. About half the people who have come to eat soup and chat were strangers. So maybe the nicest thing we did for them was actually to befriend them. Now we have a great group of friends in our neighborhood smile

ExpectGreatThings, what a wonderful idea.  It takes courage to make a gesture like that to complete strangers and it seems you were richly rewarded for your kindness.   What a lot of fun it must have been.  Thank you for sharing your story.

5. mythbuster profile image71
    mythbusterposted 11 years ago

A while back, I was on public transit and I saw an older woman coming unglued during conversation with the bus driver about a bag she lost on a bus. She was staying in a shelter that had a curfew and had lost a bag with her ID, money, medications in it, and was about to be late for curfew. I saw that people were veering away, looking away, pretending to ignore the commotion she was causing and I responded by getting angry, myself, so I got up from my seat, took a deep breath to compose myself - then started mediating the conversation as best I could.

The lady was receiving very little empathetic response from the driver because she was crying and was really overwhelmed (not able to speak very clearly through her tears and anxiety) prior to my interference - both were just not able to understand one another due to the emotional impact this situation had on the lady.

I got her to calm down, asked the driver for a clear set of instructions for this woman to follow in order to recover her lost/mis-placed bag - which had been found and stowed safely by another bus driver. I wrote down what I thought I wouldn't remember for more than 5 minutes as I realized I couldn't just leave this lady, for even a moment, in her vulnerable state.

The bus had to depart, so I got off the bus with the overwhelmed lady and promised to stay with her until the other bus with her bag had run its circuit and returned to a certain stop.

The issue of shelter curfew came up so I phoned the place directly, explained who I was and what was happening and promised to stay with the lady until everything matched up. The shelter treated the situation as a special circumstance and said they would allow the resident to enter after curfew because of the unusual circumstance.

The lady and I waited, got her bag back, then I went with her on another bus trip to the shelter with her to make sure the shelter would allow her to enter. Shelter staff did open the door right away for her and then I went home and was able to sleep well that night because I hadn't ignored a situation where someone very apparently and visibly needed help.

How kind mythbuster, sometimes it is so very easy to ignore a situation like this.  I am so glad you did not - I have to say I would have done the same in your place - thank you, so nice to know that people still care enough to step in when required.

2. ExpectGreatThings profile image75
      ExpectGreatThingsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I love this story. Thank you for sharing it!

6. sufyan rana profile image57
    sufyan ranaposted 11 years ago

It is difficult for me to remember my goodthings
    But i always remember my bad act's because i don't want to try them again....

Hi sufyan rana, I find the goodthings give me a nice feeling inside, the bad ones I try to put behind me.  We all have different ways of dealing with things, I appreciate your comment, have a great day.

7. JessBraz profile image90
    JessBrazposted 11 years ago

Hmmm.. well, after some of the previous posts, I feel like maybe my little good deeds don't quite add up. lol...
    The last random thing I did for someone was pay for their coffee.. I do it once in a while.. Going through the Tim Hortons drive thru (Canadian here, Tim Hortons is a very popular coffee shop here, kind of like Starbucks.. .but better. lol) every once in a while when I pull up to the window I'll pay for my coffee and pay for the person behind me.. Last time I did it, I was waiting with my signal on to turn in and a man waved me in and let me go ahead of him so I didn't have to hold up traffic- so I repaid his kindness by paying for his coffee. smile
    Sometimes doing even small deeds like that for a stranger actually lifts your spirits a bit too..

Hi JessBraz, I think small is great and I completely agree with you about the nice feeling it gives one.  We must have been writing exactly the same thing at the time!  See my comment to Sufyan above. Thanks for the comment

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)