Have you ever fasted?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

Have you ever fasted?

Have you ever done a fast, and if so, what type of fast and for how long?  Also, in what way was the fast beneficial to you or not?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Hello Faith,
          When I fast it is for prayer, and obedience to God. When I fast I do not eat or drink anything for 24 hours. Of course, when we are fasting we are not to say so.

Faith Reaperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!  For Christians, it is a most powerful spiritual discipline, fasting and prayer. Thanks so much for the great answer here, JThomp42

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much Faith.

3. dghbrh profile image80
    dghbrhposted 11 years ago

Yes many times I have done fasting.
    In Hindu religion we have many types of fasting. If we hold any type of Puja ( Prayer) at our home as per the rituals we need to be on fasting. This differs with different types of puja. In some Puja one is allowed to have milk, sweets, fruits etc. But is some puja one is not allowed to have anything except water. I have experience of being in both types of fasting.
    Some times i used to be on fasting without any reason and just choose a day of the week for instance Tuesday every week and be on fasting.
    There are also specific rules as per the puja to break the fasting. Before sunset one has to break fasting after offering the puja if thus is applicable, then with kind of boiled meal ( made with rice, little vegetable, lentils together) one breaks the fast. If the fast is for some specific puja then it has to be broken as per the specific rituals.
    Then if someone dies in the family senior to one, then normally for 10/11 days whole family needs to be on fasting. That duration one can only have fruits, milk and in the evening one is allowed to have the meal as mentioned above with pure ghee.
    The fast is beneficial at least for me. It shows us the way to control our senses. It also helps to cleanse the digestive system even with inner mental attitude. It mainly helps a lot to become calmer and controlled in over all approach about life. Thank you.

Wow, how very interesting and thanks for sharing all of this with us all.  I appreciate you taking the time to answer!

4. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 11 years ago

Fast for spiritual reasons once a week and have amazing health benefits as a side effect.  Coming off the fast correctly is very important.  If you start eating too much too fast you feel terrible.

Wow, tirelesstraveler, thanks for sharing your experience with fasting.  You are certainly disciplined when it comes to fasting, especially once a week!!!  Thanks for the great answer here.  I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

5. kidnappedkids profile image85
    kidnappedkidsposted 11 years ago

I have fasted.  I've been in Yemen during Ramadan, where you can't eat or drink from sunrise to sunset. I'm not Muslim, so for me, the only result of that was just being hungry and thirsty a lot.  I do juice fasting, though, for 10 days at a time. I only drink vegetable/fruit juice and take no food. It helps me to lose weight quickly, and it's not too bad on the hunger and thirst.

Hi kidnappedkids, thanks for sharing here with your very interesting answer.  Yes, I have heard of the juice fasts, which do cleanse your body of a lot of toxins and help to lose weight quickly.  I appreciate the great answer!

6. Sue Bailey profile image67
    Sue Baileyposted 11 years ago

I 'fast' for two days per week and eat what I want for the rest of the week. On fast days I drink plenty and eat around 500 calories in one meal, which is primarily made up of vegetables with just a little meat or fish. The 500 calories can be split into two meals if you so wish. It is part of the 5:2 eating plan.  I have lost 4lbs in 3 weeks and feel good the day after the fast.  I even find myself looking forward to fast days. Apparently it has other health benefits too such as stabilizing the blood sugar.

Wow, Sue, that is amazing!!!  You are very disciplined no doubt!  Thanks for sharing and answering the question.

7. MINIMA profile image60
    MINIMAposted 11 years ago

I am a Hindu and live in NZ. Currently I am fasting ..... going without salty food etc. I do drink water and milk and a fruit each day. In the afternoon after my prayers I eat  normal vegetarian meal. Sometimes I do not feel like eating the meal at all. I will be doing this continuously for seven days.
    I am doing this for spiritual and religious reasons and it does benefit me a lot. I feel light and not bloated and it keeps my mind off food too .... in a way helps me to shed off some extra pounds.
    It is upto an individual  how she/ he wants to fast and for how long..

Hi MINIMA,  thanks for answering.  Yes, fasting is great for spiritual reasons no doubt!  I appreciate you taking the time to answer.  Great answer!

8. kj force profile image61
    kj forceposted 11 years ago

Fasting is not necessarily a bad thing..sometimes when we have a cold, we don't want to eat..if we are having a blood test, we are asked to fast for 12 hours...if we are having a stress test..whether physical or chemically stimulated, we must fast. this method will allow for the results/readings to be more accurate....by our bodies going on occasional fasts, it is a type of cleansing for the body and is not harmful..but..water is a must so that the body/ muscles do not become dehydrated, which could cause cramping...Take into consideration before doing a fast that you are in good health.....and always ask your ...if you are on Rx medications...thus eliminating negative consequences....
    Great question.....

Hi kj, excellent points here you have addressed!  Thanks for the thought-provoking answer to issues one may not have thought about before!  Thanks, girl!!!

9. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

I have done 3 days fasting. It helps to cleanse my body. I feel much better in terms of health.

Hi edhan, thanks so much for answering and, yes, it is very cleansing and really good healthwise no doubt!

10. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 11 years ago

Yes, I done fast every year for a month but within specific timings because I am a Muslim. "Rozah" which is called "Saum" in Arabic and known as "Fast" in English, means to restrain and keep silence. "Saum" as "patience" too which means "self-control, perseverance and determination". Thus Rozah (Fast) stands, according to Islaam, for guarding oneself against selfishness, sensual and carnal desires and protecting one's instinctive restraint and perseverance. Food, drink and sexual relation between man and woman play very important role in human life that usually destroy human values and merits if not checked. Regulating and keeping oneself away from such human needs for a certain period is Rozah (Fast).

Hi khmohsin,  thanks so much for the very interesting answer!  Yes, these are all very important reasons no doubt to do a fast, and I am glad you added about the human values could be destroy when not checked.  I appreciate you answering.

11. toknowinfo profile image69
    toknowinfoposted 11 years ago

Fasting is difficult at points during the day, but spiritually uplifting and renewing.

Hi toknowinfo, yes, it can be difficult but the rewards as relates to the spiritually aspects are truly uplifting and renewing as you have stated.  Thank for the great answer!

12. myronjam profile image60
    myronjamposted 11 years ago

I normally fast because of my religious belief( Christianity), for 24 hour as a means of getting more spiritually in tune with God. However, its also cleanses the body of toxins, I usually only drink water.

Also you need to fast when you are about to do a surgery as the anesthesia  when administered can cause food content in your stomach to gain entry to your windpipe, and because your gag reflex would be impaired  at that moment it can lead to brain injury as a result of lock of oxygen

Hi myronjam, I do it for the same reasons as you have stated. Thanks for that interesting point about fasting prior to surgery.  Wow, that is important to know.  Great answer!

13. profile image56
    Juliehauxposted 11 years ago

I don't do a regular fast when I do fast.  Because of medical conditions and medications that bother my stomach, I still have to have some food to accompany them.  A fast for me is to eat half a banana instead of a regular breakfast, and maybe a cheese stick the other times medication is needed.  For me, one of the benefits of fasting is strengthening my self control.  When I fast for religious reasons, the benefit is that I can concentrate more fully on what I'm studying and can take in the messages I'm getting from the scriptures or other reading materials and it strengthens my understanding.

Hi Juliehaux, thank you for sharing about your fasts. Yes, we can all fast in whatever manner is unique to us!  Good point as to the benefit of being able to fully take in the messages of scripture, etc.  Great answer!

14. jaydene profile image58
    jaydeneposted 11 years ago

I have for a few days, just to let my body and organs clean out. I have had light snacks or fruit during that time. Overall i feel better for doing this.  I find it helpful to be more in touch with the spiritual side of life. smile

Hi jaydene, that sounds like an excellent fast and for great reasons no doubt!  Thanks so much for answering.

15. Raitu Disong profile image60
    Raitu Disongposted 11 years ago

I have done a fast. But long time back... Thank you for asking this question. You are like a messenger of God to me smile. God bless you dear sister in Christ...I am now challenged to give more time for God. well I used to do it half day, and I believe to do something great it is important to come to God with fasting and prayer.

Oh, how kind of you Raitu Disong, for such lovely comments.  God bless you too dear one in Christ.  Thank you for sharing that you are challenged to give more time to God!  God bless you.  It is very  important indeed!

16. Tephs profile image56
    Tephsposted 11 years ago

I have tried fasting for a week last year. The reason behind it was that I was constipated like I only defecate for 2 or 3 times a week which made me uncomfortable that I felt being sick. So, I did some research about how to fast without putting yourself at risk of developing gastric ulceration. Good thing, I was able to find an answer immediately and this is the "master cleanse". But before I followed it, I read various testimonies that it was really effective and not dangerous. So, there I was convinced and I tried. It was really a magic for me because after that, I can then defecate everyday which makes me feel clean and brand new.

By the way, here's the ingredients:

1/2 slice of lemon + 1 glass of water+a pinch of cayenne pepper+ honey or pure maple syrup.

In the morning, after arising, you also drink 1l of water+ 1 spoon of rock salt. This serves as a laxative since you aren't eating anything thereby your bowel have nothing to digest. The effect of this is immediate though and you'll be passing out more liquid.

Also, I did some variations of this fast too..instead of having it pure, I consume fresh juice (in a sense that I was the one whk juiced the fruits). That's it. I hope this was helpful.

Hi Tephs, this was very helpful and thank you for sharing your fasting ingredients and how it worked so well for you.  I appreciate the informative answer.  Thanks so much!

2. Tephs profile image56
      Tephsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome. I'm glad you find it helpful. wink

17. teaches12345 profile image78
    teaches12345posted 11 years ago

We fast from meats at least once a week to help our body digest well. I personally fast from certain activities or foods in order to focus on prayer and meditation.  It helps to gain spiritual awareness and builds faith.

Hi teaches,  that is an excellent point about the meats.  Yes, focusing on prayer and meditation does really help to gain spiritual awareness and truly builds faith.  Thanks for the awesome answer.  I appreciate you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)