After death, would you prefer to preserve or delete your social media accounts?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Sunshine625 profile image86
    Sunshine625posted 10 years ago

After death, would you prefer to preserve or delete your social media accounts?

This is a personal choice that we should all discuss with family members. Some people choose to preserve and some prefer to delete. I'm still undecided, which is why I'm asking this question.
    I have Facebook and Twitter friends who have passed away, but I do like visiting their pages when I'm missing them.

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

I would ask my family to delete the accounts and writing. I should actually discuss that with them, but haven't really thought about it. 

I've had enough hubs stolen that I wouldn't want someone to profit from my work - especially when I am gone.

Sunshine625posted 10 years agoin reply to this

HP does close the account. I'm referring to other social network sites out of HP. You made some valid points. Thanks for your comment.

3. Alecia Murphy profile image70
    Alecia Murphyposted 10 years ago

I would say delete. There's no real point to me in attempting to have accounts that won't be put to use.  And besides it would feel strange to me personally but I guess I understand that it is the virtual equivalent of visiting a grave.

It is strange when your friends profiles appear, yet it's also a comfort. I am leaning towards delete.

4. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

May I answer this "hypothetically," since I don't have social network accounts to speak of?   Yes, I can?   Thanks, gf.   
    I would prefer that someone close to me, delete any accounts I had.  If friends or family want "momentos" of me, I am confident they have numerous, cards, letters, pictures and/or gifts that I may have given to them.  I wouldn't want "public" reminders left out there, that I no longer have control over.
    It has happened that close friends have passed on and I have perhaps, printed up an email to keep in my private stash......but I don't visit their sites of any type, because the communication and interaction is no longer possible.  This would be much to sad for me.......

My thoughts exactly. No surprise there. Especially on Facebook where my friends have passed on, their photos randomly popping up make me sad. I'd prefer to remember them in my own way...not the social networking way.

5. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8061080_f260.jpg

I would prefer mine to live on if:
    (1) it would help my loved ones reflect and assist them through their recovery.
    (2) it would result in visitors finding humor (even at my expense); thus, laughing and/or smiling...
    (3) it would positively influence anyone who stumbles upon my works.
    (4) it in some way provides associations that would result in creativity...

I'd like my blogs to live on. Not my hubs since HP benefits off of them. That wouldn't be fair which is why HP closes the account. At least that's what I've noticed when a member passed on.

6. lburmaster profile image71
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

Preserve. Just because I'm dead doesn't mean my ideas have to be.

Good point!!

7. Woodmckinney profile image66
    Woodmckinneyposted 10 years ago

Deleted- absolutely deleted. I had a close friend who passed about a year ago, and her mother still keeps her accounts open and updated- letting her know how much she misses her daughter.
    It is very hard for me to see her face pop up on my feeds, but if her mother is dealing with it that way- than that is the way it should be.

Knowing how hard it is to be reminded- I would want mine deleted.

The family posted on my friends account one time. Never again. The reaction from friends was not good.

8. Nyamache profile image59
    Nyamacheposted 10 years ago

I have shared information on my social media accounts. I believe the information I have shared will help people in one way or another. Deleting the accounts isn't my choice. I tend to compare social media accounts to books. People don't stop reading books just because the authors passed on. Therefore, people will continue reading hubs and articles published on social media platforms whether the authors are alive or dead.

Valid point about still reading writers works long after they are gone.

9. Man of Strength profile image71
    Man of Strengthposted 10 years ago

Hi,
    Once I'm gone I'd like my accounts closed. If anything maybe a family member or friend could make a memorial account of me. I have a deceased classmate who still gets happy birthday wishes on Facebook. While the sentiments are good natured, what's the point? She can't express any gratitude to them.

10. Relationshipc profile image88
    Relationshipcposted 10 years ago

I would like mine to stay open. That way people can remember me as a loving, crazy, curious, and sometimes angry person. We keep photo albums of our loved ones after they passed...social media is like a photo album of life...

11. edhan profile image36
    edhanposted 10 years ago

I prefer to leave it as it is. It allows me to relive the days I had with the person. I know it is time to let go when someone is dead but I am a person who like to relive those days.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)