Does Zimmerman saving a man's life last week change any opinions?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)
  1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 10 years ago

Does Zimmerman saving a man's life last week change any opinions?

So it has come out that last week Zimmerman saved a man who was stuck in a flipped over truck. Will this make people see the man different?

2. profile image0
    detroitmareposted 10 years ago

Unless it was a black man that he saved, I'd say no.  I personally don't think he did anything wrong in the first place and believe that justice prevailed in the murder case against him.  However, the race baiters and those who follow them, will still see him as a racist murderer - mostly thanks to Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and the press.

3. junkseller profile image77
    junksellerposted 10 years ago

Saving a man's life? Do you mean helping them out of a vehicle in which no one was injured? I'm just happy the family wasn't black and Zimmerman didn't have his gun back yet. He might have had to 'defend his life' again.

1. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

According to what I have read the vehicle was upside down on one of the people. Granted I'm not sure if the media is truthful or not on the situation. I have to ask if he did save a black man would you feel any different?

2. junkseller profile image77
      junksellerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you believed, as I do, that he is entirely responsible for the death of Martin, would you feel any different? I don't really care if he gives mouth-to-mouth to a dying kitten. I have no interest in sewing capes for killers.

4. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

Good deeds don't erase bad deeds, if that were the case everyone who is in prison could just go do something nice and it would all be better.  It is not a black and white issue - literally or figuratively.  There are people who commit crimes that are not all bad, they are still capable of compassion in some instances.  I think Zimmerman is a wannabe hero and in some ways that makes him much more dangerous.  Those who are so driven by a need to be seen as heroic are compelled to follow people around, to see trouble where there isn't any and they are more prone to vigilantism.  Do I think Zimmerman is evil? no. Do I think he's a few bricks shy of a load and not truly stable enough to be walking around armed? yes.  Does his act of saving a life change this fact? for me - no. I don't have a high opinion of him, I think he's a hothead and I have no tolerance for vigilantism.

1. profile image0
      christiananrkistposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thats a good point. I'm sure that kids parents feel much better knowing he saved another persons life. They may even ask him over for dinner because of his good deed.

2. Express10 profile image84
      Express10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I fully agree with you Christin S. Also, I would not want any of his "help." For an adult he simply doesn't show the best judgement and I try to avoid these types of people whenever possible.

5. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

To be perfectly honest with you, I'm not 100% certain how I see him, in the 1st place.  I don't believe any single/isolated event or incident......(positive or negative)......can possibly define ANY human being....nor confine others to one single view/opinion of another.  To form an unmoving opinion, or to "judge" a person, based on such, is unfair, as well as unreasonable.
    We are all multi-faceted individuals, with numerous levels, twists and turns to our personalities and capabilities.
    Because a man may have lived 30+ years as a solid, law-abiding citizen, who served others, raised a wonderful family and led a respectable life......but committed a crime, once, in those 30 years.......How do we describe him? judge him? choose to form a personal opinion, with any amount of reason or assurance?   Contrarily......If a man spends a major portion of his life, in and out of prison for repeated criminal behavior......but as a free man, spends the balance of life, devoted to good deeds, protecting people from harm and perhaps, saves a life......What sort of man is he?  Do we call him a Hero?  Do we think that nothing he ever does, can ever redeem him from his shady past?  Would we simply ignore his past criminal behavior?
    There are those who choose quickly to "LABEL" others......although they, themselves, could never accept being labeled, due to an isolated incident.  It is quite easy to point, discount and disregard, as "onlookers."   
    Above and beyond all else, it cannot be denied that there is good & bad in each and every one of us.  We can achieve and accomplish much that is noteworthy and impressive.  We can and DO, also make mistakes, poor choices and perhaps find ourselves in serious trouble with the law.   We build & destroy....give generously sometimes, but often take, selfishly.
    I TRY to keep all of this in mind, when it comes to "how I see someone or what I think of them."  My opinion of Zimmerman?   The reality is, I know so little about the man that he is.  The media, hoopla, controversy, tragedy, ranting & raving of late......claims he is both good & bad.......I rest MY case.

1. johnsonrallen profile image88
      johnsonrallenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Perfectly stated.

2. Barnsey profile image69
      Barnseyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow, well said!

6. Trish89 profile image57
    Trish89posted 10 years ago

The people who find him guilty as sin, aren't going to see this as a good deed. Why would they? They're gonna see it as a way for Zimmerman to try and redeem himself in some sense, when in reality he did do a good deed. He was willing to take time out of his day to potentially help save someone's life and that should be recognized.

1. Barnsey profile image69
      Barnseyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree but sadly in our now Capitalist Extremist nation no one gives a damn about good people, about good deeds or about one another. Everyone wants a target and Zimmerman foolishly followed an angry teen in the night, target provided.

7. LandmarkWealth profile image67
    LandmarkWealthposted 10 years ago

No...people will see him the way they want to.  If they wanted to hang him for defending himself while being assaulted, then they'll come up with a reason to critique him for helping someone in need.  They have already made up there minds.

1. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Very insightful, LW. It is true that people will believe what the WANT, based on emotion---regardless of the facts. It's sad that more of our leaders won't look at this situation in a mature and just way.

8. kenjmo profile image60
    kenjmoposted 10 years ago

The Trayvon murder was a tragedy and I feel bad for his family first of all. As for Zimmerman saving a life that's cool if its true however he did commit manslaughter
    and I think he should have been convicted of that, at least. The verdict was a just one hard to prove second degree murder with one side of the story deceased and distant witnesses, although I do agree with the states prosecution of intent. Fearing for your life in my opinion would have happen before Zimmerman got out of the car. Instead of fleeing a lions den he walked right into it. Contrary to the defense's theory I think Zimmerman had his gun already drawn, asking questions like a cop and didn't give no credentials upon confrontation. Note the medical examiner didn't rule out the possibility of Zimmerman self inflicting his wounds. Zimmerman was found not guilty of pre meditated murder but he still killed a teenage kid, despite trying to tarnish his name Trayvon was unarmed and suppose to be where he was that night. Right is right and wrong is wrong period. If you murder someone and its your first offense guess what you go to jail there are no mulligans, doesn't matter if you save a bus full of children after you shot another dead that doesn't make up the life that was took. The real problem is the law stand your ground but I wonder if a black man shot a seventeen year old white kid in a gated community would the outcome be any different, would the police automatically presume innocence lets hope we don't never see any kid gunned down. Oh can we get a jury of his peers that is not mostly white and all female I mean that's like an all male panel discussing women reproductive rights.

9. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 10 years ago

It doesn't. Also doesn't it seem like a total publicity stunt? Its really such a coincidence. I guess it's possible it really happens. I'm pretty sure i heard a very similar story by John Malkovich before his movie came out. I have also heard of of other celebrities doing such things. Am I alone on this thought?

1. Express10 profile image84
      Express10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It does seem possible that he wanted to take advantage of the possible brownie points that some people are giving him.

10. Borsia profile image39
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

No it hasn't changed my opinion of Zimmerman because I never had a bad opinion of him.
    It seems so many think that he was somehow obligated to let Martin beat him to death rather than defend himself. From many comments I question if anyone actually watched the trial and listened to the evidence. My guess is that they saw the photos of the very young Mr. Martin and their minds were made up by their hearts rather than their heads.
    I saw the news blip right after the rescue and I never bothered to look into the matter as to what the conditions were when he came to the assistance of the crash victims. I doubt that Zimmerman looked to see what race they were.
    Given the number of death threats he and his family has received it was brave of him to come to anyone's aid, but he did. I think it is shameful of those he helped to refuse to acknowledge his help.

1. kenjmo profile image60
      kenjmoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Questions Borsia, Did he have a right to be there, meaning Trayvon in the gated community? Did he have any weapons, other than concrete as Zimmerman had? What would have been Trayvons motive? Anger.. Zimmerman's life may have changed but he has one.

2. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Bravo, Borsia...

3. Borsia profile image39
      Borsiaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

He was OK walking through the complex if they have an open policy, some do some don't. But Z was not wrong in being suspicious. Had M not assaulted Z he would be alive today. Concrete can kill just as a gun can kill.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)