What are the reasons that welfare in its present form should be abolished?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

What  are the reasons that  welfare in its present form should be abolished?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8232990_f260.jpg

2. Don Bobbitt profile image84
    Don Bobbittposted 10 years ago

The Solution is so simple that it will never be implemented!
    Anyone on Welfare who fails a quarterly standardized drug test, should immediately lose their welfare until they can PASS the same test the next quarter.

1. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Government dependence is a more dangerous drug than any abused substance.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

CAN'T argue with you there, Caleb.

3. junkseller profile image79
      junksellerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Won't be implemented because it IS simple. It wouldn't magically cure addiction, create jobs, or move people into productive roles. More than likely it would simply shift that burden elsewhere (e.g. crime, or other programs).

4. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Since the benefits are actually intended for the (children) what test would they need to pass to have a roof over their heads, food to eat, or clothes to wear? It's not their fault they were born to stupid or irresponsible parents!

3. Shawn McIntyre profile image82
    Shawn McIntyreposted 10 years ago

Because the welfare system, as it stands, promotes reliance on Govt. support, and not self sufficiency.

It's like doing my 9 year olds homework, she'll get straight A's but she won't learn math.

This is a very SPOT ON answer!  Couldn't have AGREED with you more. Succinctly stated!

2. dashingscorpio profile image81

Welfare is actually for (the children). Punishing them for their parent's stupidity would be immoral. No child is "self sufficient"! How can the government help innocent children without somehow benefiting their parents? That's the real challenge!

4. LandmarkWealth profile image67
    LandmarkWealthposted 10 years ago

Because it doesn't work.  That's the reason.  If you're looking for more effective solutions for social safety nets, there are whole host of things that can be done.  But the failure of the current system is as clear as day.  The social entitlement state expanded greatly under the policies of LBJ's Great Society.  And since then rate of decline in the poverty level, which prior had been declining rapidly has at best stayed the same after trillions of dollars in entitlement spending.  It could be argued that the poverty level had been poised to plateau either way.  But it certainly hasn't improved after burying the tax payer in debt as a result.

In fact in more complex discussion around currency devaluation, I would argue the impact on the nations finances has caused a lower standard of living for all Americans...both poor & middle class through the loss of purchasing power as a result of the crushing debt load which is mostly linked to entitlement spending. 

The system at current does not give proper incentive for people to leave the welfare system.  And the Federal dollars allocated to the States give them disincentive to crack down on fraud, because they don't want any funding cut from the budget.  Whether people want to believe it or not, the system is designed to keep poor people dependent on gov't.  It's the best way for elected officials to buy their votes.  The last thing the people in DC or local politics want is a society of too many self sufficient people.  I have had the benefit, or in some cases I will say displeasure of knowing many elected officials through my work over the years.  And in one case a prominent sitting congressman from Queens NY who I have known for decades.  Behind closed doors, they laugh about this.  They see the poor as little more than pawns in their political chess game that they can use to secure their power base.  But they actively design programs to keep people in the system, and laugh about it behind our backs.  And I don't expect this to change in the short run.  There are far too many families that are second or third generation welfare recipients.  It's become part of the culture in too many places.

Welcome fellow New Yorker!  Totally agree as we see evidence of multigenerational welfare recipients in our great city.  It has indeed BECOME WORSE.  Another A+ answer and well stated, thank you for stopping by!

2. LandmarkWealth profile image67
      LandmarkWealthposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thx...NY has become a cesspool in mind.  I live on the island now.  But having grown up in Queens, I can't stand to even drive through there anymore. I had to drive through the Bronx this morning to get to Jersey.  The Bronx...God help me !!!

3. gmwilliams profile image84

I know, I know.  Many parts of the Bronx is a virtual hellish no man's land.  This welfare dependency  is killing America. Poor people have to STOP making excuses and start DOING.

4. dashingscorpio profile image81

To solve this problem we need to focus on the (children) born to these people. Are they not entitled to the basics? Our anger is with their parents! How can we punish them without hurting innocent children? Or should the government turn it's back?

5. LandmarkWealth profile image67
      LandmarkWealthposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The gov't is an ineffective means of delivering entitlements directly to the people.  I'd like to see it largely turned back over to private and public charities as it once was in America with proper incentives from the Gov't.

5. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

I've never been on welfare and can only speculate what the problems are based upon what I've read or heard. Our disdain is with the (adults) and not the children that benefit from such programs. However how can you help the children without putting money/food/medication in their parent's hands?
    There is no easy solution. Welfare is intended for the children.
    Essentially welfare should not be a way of life. Much like unemployment it should run out at some point. People should not be able to have financial gain by (adding additional children) to what they had when they were initially granted welfare.
    Having said that there is no way a government in a "free society" can control one's personal decisions. Yes we could abolish welfare but that does not mean people will suddenly stop having children they can't afford to take care of and conceive only with people who will do whatever it takes to feed and clothe their children. It would be considered shameful and heartless for the "richest nation" in the world to abandon it's youngest citizens because they have stupid parents! No child should go to bed hungry or be without shoes and clothing.
    From a Christian/religious or spiritual point of view it would be immoral to abolish welfare for citizens while maintaining "corporate welfare" and subsidies for major corporations. How does one justify spending a trillion dollars to fight two wars on the pretense that one nation has (weapons of mass destruction) and then help those nations to rebuild while at the same time justify cutting food stamps and other programs for it's own poorest citizens? (the children)
    How can someone be "pro-life" but unwilling to help children in need?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)