Why do liberals think everyone needs to pay for everyone else.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (24 posts)
  1. bn9900 profile image71
    bn9900posted 10 years ago

Why do liberals think everyone needs to pay for everyone else.

The left constantly berates the Right for not being willing to fund their social pet projects. Why should I be willing to pay for others willingly, when those folks just don't hard enough? Any honest thoughts as to why some feel it is their "right" to have others pay?

2. BigJulesMags profile image70
    BigJulesMagsposted 10 years ago

You should get a choice on whether to remit to the poor or not.  Also, charitable giving is much more effective than giving from taxation because of the number of hands in the pot.  It's remarkable how much disappears in overhead.  I'm not 100% convinced being poor isn't from working hard enough though.  Sometimes there's unfortunate circumstances.  And no, it isn't a right, but I believe there are people who would benefit from giving that are hardworking and grateful,  I just don't think you should be forced to give n the principle of property rights, and the tendency for taxation to cause corruption.

bn9900posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your reply. I agree 100% with your assessment. Sure there are some who deserve it as they worked for so long. I agree those are the ones that deserve it.

2. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There needs to be a better system for helping the (children) who are the real people in need of assistance. It's hard to be considered a "Super Power" and yet be unwilling to feed, clothe, and educate their innocent children. Do we say, "too bad!"?

3. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

Each side believes the money should be spent or invested according to (their) agenda. The left wants to create opportunities for poor and lower middle class and the right wants spend the money on wars or support regimes that are in line with our thinking. Either way the money gets spent!
    A trillion dollars spent on war or spent on social programs. It's two sides of the same coin. There are pros and cons for each side.

Dash, thanks for the reply I have to disagree with one statement and that is  about the opportunities for the "poor", What do  you consider poor? The bum on the corner or the family on food stamps? Liberal plans are enabling..Free stuff isn't free.

I consider (children) living in poverty who had no say in their parents choices to be both poor and victims. There is no way of helping children without benefiting their ignorant/irresponsible parents. Being pro-life & anti welfare is a contradic

3. bn9900 profile image71

There will always be stupid people out there, its just sad that they procreate, you are right the children are victims, BUT saying that there should be away to help them and not the parents.

4. LandmarkWealth profile image67
    LandmarkWealthposted 10 years ago

The notion that only the left wants to aid the poor is a fallacy.  Conservatives just believe that Gov't is an inefficient mechanism to deliver large numbers of social services to the poor because it is too easily corrupted.  And once gov't programs are corrupted they are with us permanently.  The fact is that Conservatives give more money in terms of aggregate dollars and a percentage of their income to charities than any other demographic group.

Part of the reason they berate conservatives, is because they are often uneducated to the above mentioned facts.

Part of the reason is that liberals just have much more faith in gov't and centrally planned authorities than conservatives, and assume that's where money should be spent. 

And lastly, politicians gain votes by pitting people against each other and carving out allies.  If I convinced you to believe that there are a bunch of people out their who wish to keep you poor, and I was going to fight it...Why wouldn't you vote for me. It doesn't matter that when one person gains wealth, it doesn't necessarily mean someone else is losing wealth.  The prey on the economically uneducated.

1. dashingscorpio profile image79

I agree with much of what you say. However I don't believe the people who are "complaining" are the "rank and file" poor people. They don't have the mouthpiece/bullhorn. They're rich liberals, media darlings, & activists cutting deal with politic

2. LandmarkWealth profile image67
      LandmarkWealthposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I mostly agree...It's the limousine liberal who is the ultimate problem.  They're willing to spend everyone's money to help the poor except their own.

5. Ms Phoenix profile image57
    Ms Phoenixposted 10 years ago

Before I can answer this question I must first ask a question. What use are the poor and what can we do with this group of disadvantaged so no one has to pay for their care in any way. Because there are so many layers involved socially for this issue you first have to put a tangible value on these people. how important and is there a point to doing anything for them. Again do they have any value. That must be discussed first. then like an onion you peel one layer at a time to arrive at what must be invested or not as the case could be.

They can volunteer they need to keep skills sharp and to start feeling good about themselves again, Of course they have value, just like you or I.

2. Ms Phoenix profile image57
      Ms Phoenixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

as I said this is an issue of many layers. Over 60% percent of military recruits are from poor backgrounds but at the same time many military families are on food stamps. I agree that the government could screw up a free lunch counter.

6. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

It doesn't make sense to me either. If you make a mess, you pick it up. By someone else picking it up you have proven yourself irresponsible, lazy, inconsiderate, and rude. Just mind boggles me.

Agreed, it  is scary to think

lburmaster, What about the (children) who are products of such parents. Should the government turn it's back on an infant, 3 year old, or teen? They did not put themselves in this position. Welfare was actually designed for helping the children.

3. lburmaster profile image73
      lburmasterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Have they earned their children? That's a huge responsibility, that most don't want. By accepting child support, they are shunning their responsibility. How do we know they are using that money for their children? Do we monitor their accounts?

7. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 10 years ago

I dont konw if its a right to have other pay, but i personally dont mind spending a few extra bucks to help a brother/sister out. I know certain programs are taken advantage of by people and pretty much anything gov. run is not run well, but if a small amount of my money helps even one person a little i think its worth it.

Thank you Christian, it is NOT supposed to be a requirement to help someone else as I may not be able to afford  to spend the extra. You also bring up a great point, the gov't does  not run anything well, USPS and Amtrak spring to mind

8. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 10 years ago

Think of it this way. People who receive government aid can fall into two groups; those who legitimately need it because of circumstance. We'll think of these people as the working poor, unfortunate children and well meaning minorities. They use assistance to get on their feet, then become successful enough to get off of government aid. The second group would be the abusers, who learn to cheat the system so that they never have to work. They are the leeches on government spending. I would agree that there are probably more people in the second group than their are in the first. However, having been in the first group personally, i understand the need. I was working and paying taxes, yet I didn't have enough money to feed my family. Later my situation improved and I am no longer on government aid.

So the question is, do we allow the leeches to continue their practices in order to save those few legitimate poor, or do we condemn the legitimate poor in order to discourage the leeches? And, I think this is where liberals and conservatives differ. Liberals think that even a few success stories are worth the cost of many failed ones, where as conservatives think a disproportionate fail to success ratio means the program isn't working. In the business world, that would be true, but in the area of humanitarian efforts and saving lives, the business model doesn't really work. But, that is just my opinion and I acknowledge that I'm over generalizing each side. The beliefs of the individual will vary, and obviously government programs can always be improved. I don't think any liberal thinks the government is running smoothly.

1. Ms Phoenix profile image57
      Ms Phoenixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You have stated eloquently the differences between the two points of view. Thank you. And you're right, the government couldn't run a free lunch counter.

9. suzettenaples profile image88
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

Liberals don't believe this.  What they do believe is the poor and disenfranchised in this country need our help- not a handout, but our help.  Nations are judged by how they help the poor, the weak, and the elderly.  We are our brother's keeper.

10. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 10 years ago

Being liberals, they want to be liberal with others' money, I suppose!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)