As an individual, what can the government do to make you happy?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. IDONO profile image60
    IDONOposted 10 years ago

As an individual, what can the government do to make you happy?

I hear a lot of criticisms and generalities, but no actual solutions. I hear a lot of cutting program spending, as long as it's not mine. A majority of the people elect a government that has no chance of pleasing a majority of the people. Damned if they do. Damned if they don't. What's the answer?

2. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60
    Dont Taze Me Broposted 10 years ago

Good points - exactly why Government should be kept to a minimum and out of the public's life. The founders understood this and never intended for the federal government to be what it has become. The government is not suppose to do anything to make us happy. Leave us alone to our own "pursuit of happiness" guaranteed by the constitution and less government intervention into our private lives is how that is done. The government is there to protect us from enemies, to prevent anarchy, and preserve our rights under the constitution. Not trample the constitution with cradle to grave "happiness".  You'll never know what happiness really is and in reality are simply enslaving yourself to the machine if you are one of the losers who believe the government's job is to make you happy.

1. IDONO profile image60
      IDONOposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I like your answer. Thanks for keeping it real and not political.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

The government can leave me the hell alone, that'd make me happy.

4. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8434429_f260.jpg

Government should provide the most basic services such as schools, libraries, and public hospitals/institutions.  There should also be government regulations regarding job/labor regulation rules and anti-discriminatory and equal right laws.  That's it.  People should be granted the independence to run and handle their own affairs.   

Health care and medical insurance should be an individual matter between the individual and his/her medical caretaker.  When government takes over anything, the quality of care decreases and whatever the government takes over become automatonized.  Look at civil service for example.  The civil service job system is way too big.   Many private agencies and corporations can more effectively handle things that civil service does.   The mass conglomeration of civil service jobs is costing the taxpayer too much money.   Many civil service jobs are a total waste of taxes.   

Privatization of civil service jobs would be better for the economy.  Then there is another eyesore.  Yes, you guessed it folks?  The magic Obama"care".   Obama"care" is going to be a disaster.  The quality of health care is going to deteriorate and become far less personal when Obama"care" is enforced.   I believe that less government is the better government.   Yes, there should be government regulations within reasons but the overextension of government is ridiculous and will create a nanny state if not unchecked and stopped.

1. IDONO profile image60

GM. I usually find your questions and responses interesting and enjoyable. But when I see the radical desecration of the American flag such as you posted, I have no interest in reading on. This country is not our enemy.

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Right now, I would just be happy if they would do their jobs and stop acting like spoiled children. The "tea" party is the worse thing that has happened to United States politics in quite some time.

1. IDONO profile image60

You may have just touched on something very important. Do all of these elected officials actually know what their job is? Maybe an actual printed job description for them is in order. Or promising more is the only way they can get elected.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Exactly my friend!

6. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

Parks and wilderness -- wait private does that better.
    Highways -- wait private communities and toll roads are better
    Health -- wait my Doc is better than any VA doc
    Security -- wait those private Co's do it better
    Schools -- wait the private ones are better
    Charity -- wait the private ones contribute much more and better
    Banking -- wait it was reliance on regulations that got us into this mess.
    Food -- wait they are not in that business

I know I know --- Welfare. Oops that word really means faring well. They definitively suck at that. I know I know securing our borders --- dang my neighbors dog is better at it than the gov.
    Ok garbage pick up. Nope. Utilities and water -- Nope. I know! Fire prevention or fighting,,, dang volunteers and corporations do it better.

Well dang it I tried.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)