Don't you think it's time for the National League to adopt the designated hitter

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)
  1. billd01603 profile image78
    billd01603posted 10 years ago

Don't you think it's time for the National League to adopt the designated hitter?

2. profile image53
    mfb711posted 10 years ago

Sure it is, and it was time for the NL to do this a long time ago. Since 1973, when the DH came into existence and only the AL adopted it, the two leagues have been playing by two different sets of rules -- really, two different ways to play the game.

The AL plays a 10-man game, the NL plays with 9 at a time because the pitcher still bats. For me, the most persuasive reason that the DH rule should be used in the NL is that there are few things more boring and pre-determined than watching a pitcher try to hit. With very few exceptions, pitchers are an automatic out. Their typical contribution is to try to sacrifice-bunt a runner on first to second base. Drama? Uncertainty? It's like watching dry paint!

The DH admits this reality and uses the pitcher's spot in the batting order to try to create more runs, more offense. That's been OK with me for 40 years.

I believe that when the current commissioner retires after 2014, we might see the rules change, extending the DH rule to the National League.

3. lions44 profile image95
    lions44posted 10 years ago

Absolutely not.  I'm a bit of a traditionalist and I just like having the differences between the two leagues.  Having grown up in NY, I got to see both leagues night after night (full disclosure, I'm a Yankee fan).  The National League game was always more interesting: the double switch, bunting to move runners over, and more stolen bases.  I know mfb disagrees strongly.
    The way they treat pitchers today it's pretty obvious that most owners would like to have the DH to protect their investments. But I'd rather see the rosters expanded to carry 30 players (carry 3 more pitchers) and treat them like everyday players.   Baseball is struggling with ratings and I know something has to be done. So the DH in the NL is inevitable.  I'll go down swinging though....(bad pun, I know). Great question!

1. profile image53
      mfb711posted 10 years agoin reply to this

In answer to Lions, I'm not so committed to my own point of view that I'm unable to see a different way of thinking. I believe that either both leagues should have the DH or neither league should have it.  Two different styles of baseball? Not for me

4. William15 profile image88
    William15posted 10 years ago

I'm an AL-man, but I appreciate the strategy involved in the NL without the DH. I like that interesting wrinkle in the World Series and I think it honestly changes things. There used to be such a unique identity to each league. I really think the MLB should preserve that.

5. Patrick Howes profile image59
    Patrick Howesposted 9 years ago

I dislike the designated hitter, the strategy of the NL style of ball is unmatched in the AL. I understand that it keeps more players employed, such as older players not being able to play the field as often, but it's not the way the game should be played. Fans will miss out watching some of the really good hitting pitchers if the DH is spread throughout both leagues. I'm in favor of taking out the designated hitter entirely. The DH was started only to be an experiment and I think that experiment has run it's course.

1. lions44 profile image95
      lions44posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thx Mr. Howes.  As much as I'd like to see it go away, with the falling power #s in MLB, they will get desperate and adopt it in the NL.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)