My calf muscles remain stiff several hours after jogging - reasons?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

My calf muscles remain stiff several hours after jogging - reasons?

I've been doing the C25K running program so I am quite new to running.  At first, I thought the stiffness in my calves would kind of go away as I built up strength, but I notice sometimes my calf muscles are stiff well into the following day.  I warm up before doing any kind of running, and I do some yoga stretches at night, so I am not sure if the stiffness is due to running itself? Could I be needing different running shoes? (I run more on the front of my foot than a heel strike) Not sure what I'm doing wrong - any advice? I want to stick it out and do the full 5k sometime this summer.

2. koconutzzz profile image60
    koconutzzzposted 10 years ago

try icing it. or maybe it just takes some time for the muscles to heal because you are new to running. more protein?

3. Efficient Admin profile image84
    Efficient Adminposted 10 years ago

You could try stretching a little bit more before and after the run and keep doing them at night.  If you have them in your area, try going to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes and ask them if you are wearing the proper shoes for your activity.  Take some more time to jog a bit slower as you build up the endurance since you haven't jogged in a while. Sometimes taking it slow helps a lot. I have been hiking 2 years and I still cannot walk up elevation at a normal pace with losing breath and stopping -- however if I drastically slow down I don't have to stop at all.  I hike with people over the age of 60 and they always leave me behind in their dust!

Congratulations for running a 5K this summer and good luck!

4. misslong123 profile image83
    misslong123posted 10 years ago

Mine do that also. It could be a medical condition or it could be that you haven't stretched or warmed up well enough. I soak in a warm bath or use heating pads on my legs when they are sore like that and it relieves the discomfort.

5. profile image57
    truparad0xposted 10 years ago

Running with a forefoot strike as you mentioned demands a bit more from your calves, ankles, and feet versus a heel strike. It is normal for your calves, ankles, and feet to feel tired, stiff, and even hurt while your legs adjust to having to support your body during running. Imagine doing calf raises for 30 minutes!

Anyway, this is the same reason why there was an uptick in running injuries when the barefoot/minimal running trend caught on several years back. People thought they could just buy those minimal shoes (like Vibram's five toe ones) and expect to run the same distance they did when they were heel striking with well cushioned shoes.

My advice is to continue to stretch and be patient while your calves and even feet adjust to the forefoot strike. I highly recommend easing into the distance and time so you can avoid injury. I have recently switched to a minimal cushioned shoe (and a forefoot strike) and it took a few weeks before my calves stopped screaming at me after every run.

Good luck!

6. elayne001 profile image78
    elayne001posted 10 years ago

Soak in warm/hot water with epsom salts when you return from jogging - it will take the pain away.

7. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 10 years ago

Shoes could be the problem, but make sure to stretch those particular muscles really well before doing any sort of warm up exercise or the run. Stretching is my least favorite part of exercise, but every time I don't do it, I end up with pain like you are describing. Also, make sure to look up proper stretches for the appropriate muscles. A lot of common stretches are actually bad for you.

8. Im That Supi profile image66
    Im That Supiposted 9 years ago

It could be the shoes. Like you need to change your oil in your car, you also need to change your shoes after a while. Its not an exact number, so if you're an avid runner, once a year. Could also be you have the wrong kind of shoes. My sure you do have running shoes. Maybe invest in some extra cushioning inside the shoe depending on the height of the arch in your feet.
    Running on pavement does put a lot of harsh impact on your knees. My suggestion is try a softer surface like grass or even using a treadmill for a little than moving to pavement.
    Most likely could be the nutrition or hydration aspect. Not eating or drinking water after a long run with leave you depleted of nutrients and electrolytes leading to stiffness and cramping of the muscles. Try drinking water and food with potassium after a run

9. Becca Linn profile image92
    Becca Linnposted 9 years ago

I think that you're on the right track with doing yoga to stretch things out. You might want to try a foam roller, although it is quite painful starting out.

A lot of your issue could just be that you are new to running. It takes a while to build up the calf muscles necessary to run without experiencing that kind of muscle tightness.

Proper hydration and intake of protein is important too. Have a small snack and some water before you run, and then make sure to hydrate after you run.

You might want to try Gatorade, Powerade, or coconut water to replenish all the electrolytes that you use while running, and eat something high in protein to rebuild your muscles.

I'm with you on the forefoot strike, and that definitely is strenuous on the calves, but it eventually will give you great calf muscles.

I switched to wearing minimalist shoes a few years ago, and I'll never go back. Some people say that they cause injuries (and they do without proper preparation), but when I bought mine, I simply followed the instructions on the website where I purchased them (doing calf and foot strengthening exercise before beginning runs) and eased into running longer distances.

Aside from some initial calf soreness and blisters, they've been awesome. I love them!

10. Becca Linn profile image92
    Becca Linnposted 9 years ago

All runner experience muscle soreness from time to time, but these six tips will help you to get back on your feet in a hurry rather than letting tight muscles slow you down. read more

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)