jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What are best exercises for building up skinny calf muscles?

1. Hezekiah profile image86
    Hezekiahposted 3 years ago

What are best exercises for building up skinny calf muscles?

2. sparkleyfinger profile image92
    sparkleyfingerposted 3 years ago

I have massive calfs. I'm talking about 20 inches! They are solid muscles as well, and I never go to the gym.

I used to do Irish Dancing as a child, and that is what has caused these mammoth calves, I'm sure of it! A lot of the steps are done on a pointed toe, so the calves are constantly working.

Failing that, stand on the edge of a step- half on, half off, and lift your body with your toes. Do this a few times each day, building the time up each day- you will soon feel it working!

Hezekiahposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I envy you. Sometimes it's the genes though. I did athletics / sprint hurdling for a decade. I can calf raise in the gym x3 the weight most people can but still have the slim calves but thick thighs and a typical black man.

2. sparkleyfinger profile image92
      sparkleyfingerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Ah... well my thighs are about 30 inches? My mum said I should be a squatter, but I have a bad back sad And dont envy me too much, it's hellish trying to get knee high boots to fit! lol

3. teaches12345 profile image93
    teaches12345posted 3 years ago

I had to look in on this just for curiousity.  I have the opposite problem, thick calves.  I don't know how I got them, guess its the familiy genes.  I have heard standing on the stair edge and lifting your legs up and then down helps (make sure you hang on to the rail!).

Hezekiahposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I often think it does have something to do with genetics though.

4. mikejhca profile image92
    mikejhcaposted 3 years ago

I have large calf muscles from biking to provincial parks with beaches. Biking once a week in the summer is enough for me to have large calf muscles all year round. Each week I try to bike farther or faster. I was really skinny and had trouble building muscle. After I started going for weekly bike rides I looked down and noticed my calf muscles were huge. Later I noticed that I was 20 pounds heavier even though I lost fat.

Biking long distances is the first exercise that caused me to bulk up. The reason I bulked up is because I kept improving. Each week I competed with myself and tried to do better than the last time.

working