What is your favourite breed of dog and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. HuskyChaos profile image60
    HuskyChaosposted 10 years ago

What is your favourite breed of dog and why?

I am curious about what people love in certain dog breeds. We all have different tastes, so I would love to know which breed you love and the reasons

2. cperuzzi profile image90
    cperuzziposted 10 years ago

I prefer the smaller breeds.

However, there is nothing like a good mutt.  They are intelligent, hearty, and if the mixed breed is right will live a long time. 

I believe that any dog is a good choice, so long as it is loved.

HuskyChaosposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great answer cperuzzi, so important to give  our dogs plenty of love :-) I've seen such changes in our rescue dogs when they are brought into our loving home

3. CraftytotheCore profile image74
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

Do I have to choose just one?  I love all dogs, so that would be really difficult for me.

As a child, I had a lab.  She was the most gentle, loving, and patient dog.  Always there for me.  Always wagging her tail.  Always by my side.  This is the type of dog I could lay my head on if I wanted to read a good book and she would be right there never letting me fall.

Now I have a shepherd.  We rescued her.  She was abused and abandoned.  This dog is the most loyal, tolerant, and entertaining dog.  She makes really funny facial expressions and keeps us laughing.  She is also very loyal to us and loves being with the family.  She is very tolerant of children and just wants to be with us no matter what we're doing.

I have two other dogs, but I don't want to take over here.

You don't have to choose 1 :p I'm just curious to see the diversity, and reasons. Your lab and shepherd sound great. I love when an abused dog finds a loving home :-)

4. girlgamers profile image74
    girlgamersposted 10 years ago

I'm a sucker for the big dogs.  I've got a Mastiff mix that weighs more than me, and I'm looking for a Great Dane as well.  I love the big dogs, because in my experience, the bigger they are, the more gentle they are.  My Mastiff is a huge couch potato that lets little kids ride her, but smaller dogs usually tend to get snippy with the first ear grab or tail pull.  Plus no one really gives the bigger dogs any time of day, because they think big dogs = aggression when it's the complete opposite.  I'm a softy, and the sad droopy eyes and lips get me right away, and a face full of tongue for kisses just makes it even better.

Our two biggest ones are the gentlest :-) your dogs sound adorable

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 10 years ago

The Chow Chow, it's the most loyal and most loving, most intimidating dog there is.

They are gorgeous :-) saw an adorable black Chow Chow at our last visit to the vet

6. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 10 years ago

I tend to love most dogs, but my favorite breed is the pug. When I was a child, my favorite movie was Milo and Otis, about a pug dog and a tabby cat that went on a grand adventure together. Ever since I've loved pugs. Though, I have yet to actually own one. They're expensive and the place where I live doesn't allow dogs.

7. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 10 years ago

I don't have a specific breed, but I most definitely have a certain type. I love the dogs that are intelligent, energetic, independent, bold-tempered with plenty of drive, are overall healthy and are up for anything. Around 50-80 pounds is preferable. My Catahoula exemplifies these qualities, as did my Redbone before him (died in 2009 at the age of 15) and my Walker/Pit before that. I see the same qualities throughout the hounds, herding dogs, huskies, etc. That said, I have to select dogs on an individual level, since there is no one breed that's ALL the type of dog I want.

Why? I love athletic dogs, and have trained a LOT of harness dogs. My Catahoula is working on learning cani-cross, bike-joring and skijoring. His predecessor would run for miles pulling a kick sled, and hated the days that we didn't harness up and go for a run. I love a dog that will go hiking with me, and it's a plus if they enjoy carrying their own supplies in a backpack. I live in Wyoming, so there are endless opportunities to run and explore near here. All of my dogs (except the mini schnauzer who only came to us because she REALLY needed a home) have been trained to a bike, and all have been the "shelter misfits" that most other people couldn't handle. That's usually the first sign that it's the perfect dog for me wink.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)