jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What is the best breed of dog for the country?

1. InspiredHippy profile image76
    InspiredHippyposted 7 years ago

What is the best breed of dog for the country?

I would like to hear from people that live in rural area w/o a fence.  I want a dog that is loyal above all else...some ideas I have are...Akita, Schnauzer, Lab, cattle dogs, any others?

2. TeriDavisNewman profile image51
    TeriDavisNewmanposted 7 years ago

Get a Border Collie.  They are the most intelligent of all dog breeds, not inordinately large and loyal to a fault. They do need a lot of exercise as they have a LOT of energy. The best Border Collie breeder around is a veterinarian in Decatur, Alabama named Dr. Dawn Monroe.

3. Jangaplanet profile image78
    Jangaplanetposted 7 years ago

Cocker spaniel are really loyal dogs , very good with children. They are calm when your calm and excited when your excited! Really one of the best breed of dogs anyone could have.

4. Avamum profile image83
    Avamumposted 7 years ago

Labs are GREAT dogs to have in the country or in the suburbs as long as you are prepared to walk them a lot. As long as they have had some good obedience training to come when you call them, as labs do tend to want to go exploring.....especially if there are groundhogs, grophers, porcupines, pheasants, ducks, or rabbits around (I have been "treated" to bits of all of the above as one of my labs liked to share his hunting...)

5. profile image48
    Celtic_Pandaposted 7 years ago

Australian Cattle Dogs (also known as blue or red heelers) has my vote.  This is a great breed for those who live out in the country as they love a lot of space to run and play.  If you have small children, get a heeler that is full grown and not a puppy, as puppies have a tendency to nip.  They are very loyal to their humans, extremely intelligent, always aim to please and will be a companion for life!

6. profile image44
    mynameis...posted 7 years ago

all dogs duh. all dogs make up the dogs in this country and their shouldn't be just one they all deserve it.

7. profile image45
    bobpants97posted 7 years ago

i would say a cattle dog or a lab.And if you have children or other pet they are good with them