Poets and poetry lovers! What is Poetry?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (40 posts)
  1. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 9 years ago

Poets and poetry lovers! What is Poetry?

As a keen reader and writer of poetry I've been asking this question on and off for years! I'll be writing a hub on the subject soon.There have been many fascinating attempts by different poets over the years to define poetry. I like this quote by Lawrence Ferlenghetti: Poetry is a naked woman, a naked man, and the distance between them.
    I'd love to hear your answers if you have them.

2. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 9 years ago

Poetry, I think, is the flow of innate feelings through some tuned syllables.
    It pours out from heart naturally whenever you experience some emotions of love, beauty, happiness, sorrow, and the like.

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lovely Ven!

2. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, I really appreciate your comment. I love the water element in your definition...flow...pours....fascinating. And the fine tuned syllables.wonderful and evocative. I'd like to use this in a hub I'm creating?

3. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

Poetry is a gentle river flowing through a rocky and mountainous landscape of prose.

Beautiful, as only a poet can express.

Venkatachari Mposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great description. I can see it with my eyes flowing from there so awesome.

3. chef-de-jour profile image96

I see you are one with Basho the haiku master. A serene image, peaceful yet powerful. Jodah can I use this in my hub? Big congratulations for your recent award. Fully deserved.

4. Jodah profile image90
      Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes chef, feel free to use it in your hub.

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 9 years ago

Poetry is the mind, body, and soul coming together to say what the heart feels.

Beautifully stated, JT.

Thank you. Succinct, beautifully wrapped up. The idea that soul and heart are brought together in poetry is a miracle. I'd love to use this in a hub with your permission.

3. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely Chef.

5. GNelson profile image60
    GNelsonposted 9 years ago

If there is one thing I have learned about writing poems, it is that they are never done.  Years pass, they sit unfinished.  Like children, I always want to help them.  Change them a little, just a little wisdom from a father.  It is hard to let go, to stop, set them free.

You must be a true poet!

Thank you. The idea that poems are born I find wondrous. If I could use your words in a hub I'd be delighted?  Some poems I find just won't lie down and behave!

3. GNelson profile image60
      GNelsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can use my words.

6. manatita44 profile image71
    manatita44posted 9 years ago

I have taken a more comprehensive approach in two of my Hubs here on Hub Pages. Look me up, Bro.

Lots of sublime and esoteric poetry to see and peruse also.

" If you listen, the Universe sings with majesty to its own rhapsodies;
    Day and night the zephyrs blow, and the willow bends in adoration to its own cadences of sounds."-Manatita

Much peace, Bro.

You poetry is like music, Manatita.

2. manatita44 profile image71
      manatita44posted 9 years agoin reply to this

And you heart enfolds a beauty and radiates much joy to all. Peace, my very sweet Sister Faith.

3. chef-de-jour profile image96

Thank you. I love the natural connection to music and the possibility for rhythm. Mystery is there too. I'd like to use your words in a hub if that's possible Manatita?

7. snakeslane profile image80
    snakeslaneposted 9 years ago

Poetry is a distillation of words and life, alchemy, transmutation, art...

Thank you snakeslane. The combination of words and life...being distilled..fascinating idea. Can I use your definition in a hub? I almost see a wizard at work here.

8. melodyj profile image60
    melodyjposted 9 years ago

Poetry Is the knife to struggles, triumph, and hard times.  It is the note to divide hope from shame. I love poetry reading and writing I define poetry by its inability to structure my life. It is the way I push pass hurt and pain. I take poetry like the desire of a cup of coffee in the morning, the cup of hot chocolate that warms me on the inside. It is the tasty benefit to filled my signature of love for others as well as myself. It is the fight against all odds in life. I pride myself on poetry.

Thank you. Some fascinating material in there! By using the word knife do you mean as in surgery or as an action of cutting through? I'd like to use parts of your answer in a hub I'm creating?

9. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Poetry is movement; words shifting around within the writer's soul, coming together in harmonious message, which moves into the reader's soul. Without movement, there is no poetry; it cannot stand still.

Fascinating thoughts, thank you. From your words I see water with wind, or flame, or both, and dance. If I could use these in a hub I'm writing I'd be very grateful.

2. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Of course, feel free, chef.

3. manatita44 profile image71

Cool Chef.

Go right ahead but give credit for these two lines. Peace.

10. Romeos Quill profile image75
    Romeos Quillposted 9 years ago

Poetry is the oxygen of the soul; the graceful signature of divine harmony scribed through the rhapsody of literature upon the sceptred barre's of beseeching hearts. It is a simple prayer, spoken by the masters of the sixth day through the voices of the five for the glory of the Lord of the seventh; she is the chalice of man's lofty spirit lifted with the angels in communion with God's own heart.

Thank you. Some rich material here. I like the idea that the soul breathes in poetry. I would like to use your quote in a hub I'm writing - if that's ok with you.

Venkatachari Mposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi, it is very wonderful a description, something more than poetry. So nice an amazing portrayal of poetry. I love it.

3. manatita44 profile image71

I thought that I was good, Romeo. Now I see why you have that name. Peace Bro.

11. profile image0
    SirDentposted 9 years ago

Poetry is painting a picture with words, much like an artist with paint and brush in hand.

Thank you. The hub I'm writing about the meaning of poetry has a quote from none other than Leonardo da Vinci, quite similar to yours! Many poets 'see' and feel their words in the mind's eye then write them down as they see fit. If I could use this?

2. profile image0
      SirDentposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sure thing.  I don't mind at all.

12. ChitrangadaSharan profile image91
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 9 years ago

Poetry is stirring up emotions and expressing your heart and mind in a few words! If expressed with heart, it instantly reaches the hearts!

Thank you Chitrangada. Heart to heart and all stirred up! I like it.

13. Chantelle-Goodwin profile image61
    Chantelle-Goodwinposted 9 years ago

For me, poetry is putting into words what can't be put into words. Creating moments and feelings out of past or present experiences. It's also the use of words and phrases in an unusual way to provoke something new in people.

OK thank you. I like the idea of creating feeling and the 'magic' related to that process. I'd like to include this definition in a hub I've written, if that's ok.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)