How often do you clean out your refrigerator?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. favored profile image62
    favoredposted 9 years ago

How  often do you clean out your refrigerator?

Since today (Nov 15th) is National Clean out your Refrigerator day I was wondering how often people clean theirs.  Do you do it often or when it absolutely has science projects growing from lack of cleaning?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11985376_f260.jpg

2. aesta1 profile image90
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

I do regularly as my husband is relentless and will always find something old in there. He cleans it every weekend. My strategy is not to buy too much as we have an expat grocery store in our hotel so I can just go down each day to get what I need. But once I'm home in Canada, I don't like even looking at an overstuffed refrigerator.

favoredposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can relate to your schedule.  I like to clean it out before trash day each week and have it fairly empty before grocery shopping so I can clean it down easily.

3. chaitanyasaivb profile image67
    chaitanyasaivbposted 9 years ago

First of all, thanks for letting me know that, Nov 15th is National Clean out Day. But, We have just bought a refrigerator, a month ago, and Even, We haven't cleaned it. Hope, We have to start cleaning once in a month.

You should be good to go for at least a few years smile  Seriously, you're in a great position to start a new habit of doing in on a regular basis.

2. chaitanyasaivb profile image67
      chaitanyasaivbposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hope, I have to start that habit, with in short time,so that I would be habituated to it soon.

4. Besarien profile image74
    Besarienposted 9 years ago

I do a deep cleaning- everything out, drawers removed and washed out,  vinegar water on a sponge to wipe down the inside, then everything dried- on Mondays since the garbage goes out on Monday night. I recycle or compost most everything but will toss something particularly gross occasionally. I try to keep it clean and organized as much as possible during the rest of the week and if something drips, leaks, or spills, I clean it right away or as soon as I notice. I can't abide a dirty fridge. The freezer part I am much more laid back about. I clean that out about every six months and try to time my shopping so that it is close to empty when that happens. I stick everything in our freezer chest- which I clean every six months in a different set of months than the fridge freezer. I also keep track of what I discard and the approximate value so I hopefully can do better at minimizing waste in the future. For three weeks I have thrown away nothing at all out of the fridge. The week before those three I composted about 30 cents worth of baby spinach that was starting to smell bad. It was maybe a day past what I'd feel comfy putting in a soup. So this month I had out of the fridge waste of 30 cents! Yippee! I try to make zero waste of but I'll take 30 cents. Of course more got composted off our plates and from prepping food to cook. I try to keep all that pretty minimal too.

You are so good at keeping up with this task. If you only lost about 30 cents that's terrific.

5. Loretta L profile image65
    Loretta Lposted 9 years ago

I couldn't possibly respond to this on the grounds that it may incriminate me, lol.

So funny!  I know what you mean, that's why I wanted some ideas here.  With just the two of us you would think it wouldn't be hard smile

6. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

Good Question, favored.  Having been raised in the family Restaurant business, I'm well-educated on Food & Beverage Safety issues.  I have no doubt that if the general public were clearly aware of the numerous dangers in this regard, they'd change their habits.
    I'm on this particular chore like white on rice.  Always noting "what's in the fridge."  While raising 4 boys this was a monstrous job to keep up with..(I won't even go there right now)
    If it becomes habitual, it's really simple.  I rarely open the fridge door for anything without a clean warm wash rag with a spritz of bleach on it.  It takes seconds to lift up bowls or bottles and wipe up possible spills.  It's against all house rules to ever put anything in the fridge without a cover, saran, foil, cap, lid...whatever. 
    There are dates on all purchased products.  How often do you check dates?  Does it occur to you to tape the date on something you have prepared and placed in the fridge?  Well, I do these things automatically.
    As for the BIG CLEAN?  I empty it entirely and wash every inch inside and out.  Toss out or transfer and recover all items where needed at least every 2 months.
    My entire kitchen may be in disarray, but my fridge is a work of art!!  LOL

fpherj48 I think if we knew what was literally growing in our frig when we wait to clean it that would be an eye opener.  Wish mine was a piece of art, but maybe in a weird way it still is LOL.

7. lawrence01 profile image64
    lawrence01posted 9 years ago

Mini clean as we need it but major clean just before grocery shopping so we've an idea what we need

That's a good way to keep after it too as long as it's not too long between shopping for me.

2. lawrence01 profile image64
      lawrence01posted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's the theory anyway. It mostly works

8. mary615 profile image83
    mary615posted 9 years ago

I clean out my refrigerator once a week.  That's when I look through and throw out left overs that I forgot all about!   I'm bad about keeping out of date stuff, too, so I take care of that at the same time.
    I take this time to clean the interior well, too.  I remove the shelves and drawers and wash them well.

Mary I think that's what most of us intend on doing, but don't get around to it.  Hubby is good though with vacuuming the grill area and getting rid of stuff before trash day.  He tends to go in there more smile

9. shellys-space profile image60
    shellys-spaceposted 9 years ago

I never do a deep cleaning, but try to keep shelves wiped down as the refrigerator empties out. Sometimes I take out the drawers to clean the crumbs out.

Shelly with doing all that I'm not surprised there isn't much to clean.  Very good example young lady smile

10. profile image54
    doallposted 8 years ago

Removing smelly items reduces odors and cleaning the spills improves the look, but what isn't readily visible is the bacteria that accumulates in this food storage area between thorough cleanings. Since we don't always wash our hands before retrieving or storing food items or condiments, a good cleaning is needed to remove the germs that take residence in the refrigerator.
    http://www.doallappliances.com.au

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)