How does Google choose which Hubs to search?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Mekenzie profile image77
    Mekenzieposted 9 years ago

How does Google choose which Hubs to search?

All of the hubs I have written say, "Well done! This high-quality, engaging Hub is Featured on other Hubs and Topic Pages and has the opportunity to be listed in search engine results" ...  BUT only some of them are actually crawled by google, bing, yahoo.  Fewer still  have search term data listed.  Does Anyone have some concrete answer as to how google chooses hubs to be searched and then how they determine whether or not to share with you the search term data used to find your hub?

2. gposchman profile image61
    gposchmanposted 9 years ago

Hi Mekenzie,

Google doesn't choose, it's people surfing the web who choose, and it is based upon the search terms they use.

Search engines use spider and robots to search the WEB for content that matches what the surfer is looking for. The criteria used by these bots are URLs, Titles of pages, keywords in meta data and descriptions in meta data, content on the page itself and how much access a page is getting from other sources.

Using one of your hubs as an example here is a test you can perform...

in a Google search type "Buy Womens Rings Based on Skin Tone"

When I performed a search using the key words above your article came up second on the Google search  list.

I loaded the search choosing the URL of your Hub, and added keywords I thought would work.

When writing a hub, the title and the URL are critical to getting seen on Google, Yahoo and others. Additionally if you have a personal web site other than your Hub pages, link to your individual hub URLs, this will help. A warning, make sure your title and URL relate to your HUB, and use words that you think people will search upon. There are tools out ther in the internet to help with that, and I am sure there is a HUB that will help you with SEO (Search Engine Optimization).

I hope this helped.

Gene Poschman

Mekenzieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Gene, Thanks for the time taken in answering. The URL on many of my hubs don't match the title. As I grew in my understanding of search engines I realized that the titles I originally chose weren't search friendly.  Do you think this hurts SEO?

2. gposchman profile image61
      gposchmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mekenzie,

URLs and titles should be different. The URL should be more search word specific as that is usually the first element a bot will pick up. as example type amazon in a search window and what do you think will come up?

3. Digital MD profile image85
    Digital MDposted 9 years ago

You can try searching the Forum for updates, but s far what I have seen is the optimization of keywords as suggested by Google Adwords and/or Google Trends. Also, as suggested -- you can try manually searching your title and seeing if there are already many topics on other websites. This ensures that you will see the possible competition once you choose that title.

Essentially from what I have read, The title drives traffic to your page while the content keeps readers.

4. Niko Linni profile image79
    Niko Linniposted 9 years ago

Like many have said, it's what you put into your blog. When people talk about SEO and Keywords and such, well I know with Keywords this means words and phrases people punch in when searching for things.

I know Google has a keywords searcher where you can punch in things and Google will show you the kewords commonly typed with it, but I think there might also be a couple free ones you can find (you have to pay for google's).

Mekenzieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I've just discovered Google Trends and it's really helping me with keywords and phrases.  Still don't get how google passes over some of my hubs while highlighting others.  Scores of hubs don't reflect this .. a puzzle for sure.

2. Niko Linni profile image79
      Niko Linniposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've heard that one factor is also time. The longer something is up, the greater chances Google's found it and indexed it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)