What makes highly opinionated people who say it as it is, refuse to be political

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

What makes highly opinionated people who say it as it is, refuse to be politically correct,

are sharpshooters, & no-nonsense seem to be & are most times threatening to the status quo who prefer people to be more politically correct in terms of discussions & opinions? Why are highly opinionated people considered to be "lacking in tact" when in fact, they are really telling the truth about a situation?   Why are some people so easily offended at anything said to them especially during a discussion.They seem to enjoy being highly offended at people who are more straightforward in approach. They want everything to be sugarcoated in addition to be mollycoddled.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8910325_f260.jpg

2. humzah profile image66
    humzahposted 9 years ago

I was just thinking about this a few days and here's my answer: highly opinionated people, who tell things as they are, are often said to be lacking in tact because the latter group (those who prefer things to be sugarcoated) is not bold, blunt or brave enough to say the same thing (even though they might agree with the former deep down inside).
    In my opinion, sugarcoat-ers are afraid of what others think of themselves while highly opinionated people aren't and that shows.
    THAT is why, while one group CAN afford to make a point, logically, and without offending anyone, the other CANNOT.

1. Rod Marsden profile image68
      Rod Marsdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes sugarcoat-ers are afraid but often so are those who tell it like it is. One simply has less courage than the other. Sometimes you really do have to offend to get your point across.

3. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 9 years ago

"We still do not know where the urge for truth comes from; for as yet we have heard only of the obligation imposed by society that it should exist: to be truthful means using the customary metaphors - in moral terms, the obligation to lie according to fixed convention, to lie herd-like in a style obligatory for all..."

--Nietzsche

The whole world is PC...we can insult each other, insult certain sects of people freely, insult certain religions without end....it's the ones you can't speak of...those hold the power. And--THAT has always been the case.
    Very few leave the herd.

Ah but the ones who do leave the herd - what magnificent beasts they are!

2. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Targeted Individuals....

3. Rod Marsden profile image68

Ah but still magnificent.

4. Rod Marsden profile image68
    Rod Marsdenposted 9 years ago

Back in Germany in the 1930s to be politically correct you naturally thought of Jews and Gypsies as being lesser people. You also considered Communism such a threat that Communists should be rounded up and put in camps with other troublemakers. You were also against trade unionists and had spelled out for you the divine mission of the Third Reich. If you were a child at school you sang about Adolf Hitler being the savior of the German people and there might even be a poster of him in armor like some white knight with a funny mow that you of course didn't think was funny  at all. You would be part of the Hitler Youth and, among other things, get to spy on adults to make sure they were correct in terms of politics - even your own parents.

George Orwell spelled it out in 1984 and Animal Farm what can befall people and animals who blindly go along with what is the political correctness of the times. Let those in charge think for you and not for yourself. That is always the politically correct way. You dismiss words because they are too blunt and substitute words less blunt? Are you really sugarcoating or trying to hide something?   

Highly opinionated people who do not tow the party line tend to be accused of being tactless because that is what they are and I love them for it. Sometimes the only way to wake up people suckered into political correctness is to be as direct as possible.

The French publication under scrutiny at present pushed the line many other publications would not push. So why is the Pope against this publication if he is obviously not a Muslim and has no real connection to the killers? Well, the people at Charlie did put out an issue that sent up the fact that there are Catholic Priests doing the wrong thing when it comes to children. Shocking? Yes. But in Australia, the USA and Ireland there have been and still are such priests. The cartoon I saw was definitely politically incorrect but all the better for that.

1. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

yeah--but they also fired a guy for being"anti-semitic".They are pushing an agenda.

2. Rod Marsden profile image68

They meaning Charlie. Okay MAYBE they are pushing an agenda. It seems that lovemychris is doing a little thinking there. Not very politically correct of him or her. Congrats lovemychris.

5. Chris Neal profile image78
    Chris Nealposted 9 years ago

You can be opinionated and tactful. Highly opinionated is not the same as right, and the willingness to bulldoze those around you because you believe you are right is not proof of your being correct, it is an arrogant and self-centered attitude. And you can certainly have more than one highly opinionated person in a room, both absolutely certain that not only are they right but they have the right to make sure everyone else agrees with them. That's called chaos.

Yes highly opinionated doers not mean right. Tactful can be pleasant and it can lead to muddy, politically correct waters.

6. Aime F profile image69
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

I was about to say pretty much the exact same thing as Chris Neal.

Sometimes (probably the vast majority of the time) opinionated people are expressing their OPINIONS and not TRUTH. I'm a big advocate for straightforwardness when it comes to telling the truth, but if you're sharing your opinion, especially on a topic where there are passionate people who hold opposite opinions, I think it's callous and unnecessary to not employ tact.

I think people lose sight of the fact that other people can come to different conclusions on a variety of topics without being wrong or deserving to have their ideas/beliefs/opinions insulted or belittled.

I hate the idea that being PC means being stifled or having no freedom to express your opinions. All it means is that you should find a way to express your opinions in a way that isn't going to offend an ENTIRE GROUP of people. Why is that so hard? It's not sugarcoating, it's being a respectful human being.

You don't have to tip-toe around making sure you don't offend anybody. Just try to make sure you don't offend everyone.

I've seen comments on here that I look at and say "well, I wouldn't be surprised if every single Christian/Muslim/atheist who reads that comment is offended by it" and I don't see the point in making those comments. Some things just need to be phrased better. Some things don't need to be expressed at all.

In my opinion, the people who absolutely refuse to be tactful are either insecure or arrogant. If you think that your opinion is so important that you need to poop all over an entire group of people then you need a reality check.

(It might be worth noting that I'm referring to very subjective topics like religion, politics, etc. Someone else brought up Jews, communists, etc. - when it comes to basic human rights I think it's a whole different ballgame.)

Being insecure in an insecure world sounds a bit like a reality check to me. When you have the present day Pope basically saying violence is okay it is definitely 'Check please!' time. Respect is earned or should be. Not given away.

2. Aime F profile image69
      Aime Fposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Really? You think that you don't have to respect people until they earn it from you? Huh.

3. Rod Marsden profile image68

In some cases yes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)