How might society preserve language when the popularity of texting has replaced

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)
  1. rainsanmartin profile image85
    rainsanmartinposted 9 years ago

How might society preserve language when the popularity of texting has replaced email composition?

Are we to simply accept the dumbing down of language? Or do we take a stand and lead by example?   Not all technology is progress. Without self control and discipline we may lose contemplative and thoughtful writing as a society.

2. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 9 years ago

A dead language such as Latin can be preserved. A living language such as English can and will change with the times. Texting will eventually lead to simpler ways of writing in other forms but thoughtful writing will still be possible. Could a short story or a novel be created with texting? I couldn't do it but I believe it could be done. Simplifying is not necessarily dumbing down.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 9 years ago

One might say that email was a dumbing down of traditional written letters. With each new advancement in communication, I think there is always a worry that language will, in some way, be damaged. But so long as there are those who are passionate about it (writers/readers) then I think it will persist in a formal capacity.

4. quildon profile image73
    quildonposted 9 years ago

Writing has certainly evolved throughout the centuries, but "contemplative and thoughtful writing" will always maintain its place through books, articles etc. The convenience and speed of texting is what has made it so popular, but I don't think it will replace traditional writing as such.

5. baybpnk profile image68
    baybpnkposted 9 years ago

As someone with a Bachelor degree in English and an avid texter, I feel like it's important to understand that texting is a language in its own, and most of the time it is not accurate to the English language. You don't text the way you speak because it takes too long to type into a message that was created to save time. As long as we keep it known that you do not speak or write papers or compose e-mails in the way you compose a text message, we should be okay. the English language has been around for ages, texting is not going to wipe that away as easily as you may think. As long as teachers are teaching in schools, parents are teaching and paying attention at home; As long as people pick up a book or the newspaper, texting will not overturn the English language, even though it may effect it slightly.

1. profile image52
      aharrisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And even us English majors need to be vigilant about grammar and usage, whether we text or not.

6. kschimmel profile image71
    kschimmelposted 9 years ago

I am more concerned about texting and game apps replacing time that could be better spent reading.  People who read will always have better vocabularies and writing than those who do not.  Those of us who remain literate can continue to use complete words, sentences, and paragraphs in our own communication, setting an example for anyone who wishes to appear more educated/civilized.  That is really all we can do.

1. profile image52
      aharrisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is such an insightful, spot on comment.  Thanks for sending my thoughts in that direction.

2. rainsanmartin profile image85
      rainsanmartinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. Especially classic literature.

7. profile image52
    aharrisposted 9 years ago

Emails, used nowadays only by old fogeys and business professionals, are no place for improper English. And texting is a mere convenience that adds to the richness, humor, and effectiveness of our language, much as slang and portmanteau words have done.  The USPS has far more to fear than we do - it's called snail mail with good reason. I don't even have a physical address for many of my acquaintances, so I couldn't send them a card, letter, or package if I wanted to without asking them, first.

I've attached an article that explains quite convincingly that one (especially a young one) needs to have a decent command of syntax in order to text.  You can't abbreviate if you don't know phonics, for one thing, and spelling for another.  Kids who text actually score higher on tests meant to measure language usage than one who don't.

We are in far greater danger of losing our language by what I am doing right now: word processing. Software tries to correct our writing constantly, often with unnecessary and incorrect substitutions.  It is a terrible way for young people to learn how to write, or try to, and I firmly believe that no teacher in his right mind should allow assignments to be submitted via word processing until the second half of 8th grade, except for the sole purpose practicing MLA style formatting for high school and college, where it is expected. It is the act of writing something out by hand that is most sorely missing today, and the valuable engagement of brain and hand in cooperation required to do this is what will lead to the loss you describe. A link to a short article that describes this alarming trend follows, too.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2008/j … dianreview

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/scien … .html?_r=0

I agree that the written language is very important to preserve. I occasionally write a long form letter by hand for this purpose. Thank you for the links.

2. kschimmel profile image71
      kschimmelposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am teaching writing to some homeschooled children in grades 5 and 6.  I have them write in journals and copy from the white board.  I'm no neuroscientist, but I have to believe the physical act of writing words helps with learning,

8. Cerulean Crayon profile image63
    Cerulean Crayonposted 9 years ago

This is a good question. I've thought about it a lot over the past few years. There have been a few answers submitted by people who love our language, respect it, and study it. When these people text, they recognize it as a different language. Their minds put it somewhere separate from their native tongue. Not everyone does this.

Latin has been preserved and is static because it is no longer spoken. The rule here is, "if a language is used, it changes....and cannot help but change, even if very slowly." Entropy is at work constantly, and mankind is always looking for an easier road to follow.

So, we'll see, right? Will American Englishers preserve the beauty of our current form? I hope so.

Thank you for your perspective Cerulean.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)