How would you survive the Yellowstone Caldera, Supervolcano eruption?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

How would you survive the Yellowstone Caldera, Supervolcano eruption?

I recently watched the movie "Supervolcano" on Netflix. Realizing that if the Yellowstone Caldera does blow as predicted, that I best have a better survival plan.

I live in northern Minnesota near the Canadian border. What kind of survival plans does one make for a disaster of such magnitude?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12383266_f260.jpg

2. Cynthia Hoover profile image91
    Cynthia Hooverposted 8 years ago

I am in West Virginia, I do write about prepping. The fall out from the ash cloud is likely far enough away that I will be okay - yes I did the math (kind of scares the crap out of me to be honest).

The problem with this scenario lies in the aftermath, the lack of sunlight will create low temperatures and nothing is going to grow with out the sun. The ash is a concern as far as breathing too - it will be like fine glass when inhaled, making your best bet to stay put (wherever that is).

So you need to figure out, how far away you are from the fallout of the ash cloud and plan accordingly after that. If you ware within range then you will really need to look into staying put - but planning and prepping accordingly as well. Food and water are your key to survival. In this event it is unlikely the grid will be intact - not a global outage mind you but depending on your location you can be effected. That being said, you also need to think about air filtration if the ash cloud will be in your area as well. The red cross website has a lot of info on what you would need to stock up on for many different natural disasters! Food and water, food and water! I have not watched "Supervolcano" yet, but there are several other good doomsday related shows on Netflix too (not the preppers - ones with actual scenarios and scientists explain how one would survive). There are so many things that you need to take into account when prepping! No two preppers are the same either, you know what you need better than anyone can tell you what you should store and prepare. Keep in mind if you have any medical conditions, you should look into medicinal herbs that treat the conditions as well - so you will have a backup if you have to "bug in" and wait out the ash cloud.

colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Cynthia. I just read your hub, "Doomsday Prepping "Bugging in" Sustainability and Preparedness Basic Survival At Home". I will be reading more of your in-depth and researched material and recommended sites.

3. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 8 years ago

You wouldn't---if you were anywhere near the blast.  I was actually thinking of writing a hub on what would happen if the volcano erupted, and I might.  Basically, I believe that a full scale eruption would destroy America.  Hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, would die.  Our crops and agriculture would be utterly destroyed, because it would be covered in ash.  The sky would rain ash over most of the country--DC would even experience some falling.  It is dangerous to breathe ashes and the gases that would come from this explosion.  In the Yellowstone area, the sun would be blotted out, and no one would survive within about a hundred miles of the epicenter.  Scientists have been surveying the volcano 24/7 and monitoring it, but I don't think you can escape a full scale eruption.  I think that if it does happen, there may be some earthquakes, but I don't think they'd be able to evacuate everyone in time.  And as said before, the midwest would be covered in ash--so our crops and farm animals would die, and we would be at the mercy of other countries to come to our aid in this time of crisis.  I don't know that America would survive that.  If you are real scared, I suggest stock piling cans of stuff in your pantry, and stay away from the Yellowstone area. I don't know that you can prepare for such an event.

It sounds like it would just be a matter of time for those in the states who do survive if they do not have a clean water source. At any rate, its best to be prepared for lesser natural disasters. It is a lot to think about.

4. LillyGrillzit profile image79
    LillyGrillzitposted 8 years ago

If the Caldera explodes, it will probably cause Tectonic Plates to separate. The ash cloud has been mentioned previously - fires, floods (of steaming hot rock) and an upheaval of a lot of land may be the result. Another thing that is probable is that other faults will join in the fray, shifting our globe like a proverbial deck of cards. Depending on how far the ash and clouds travel, it may cause substantial cooling as well, meaning another Ice Age on a good portion of the planet.

Like Stargirl says, the odds of surviving that explosion will be very low. Our Earth will be changed again. Different Continents, everything will change. It will be the end of a Geologic Period.

1. profile image0
      Stargrrlposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know that it would be that severe!  Scary!

2. LillyGrillzit profile image79
      LillyGrillzitposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am a hoot at parties (not). I know it is not considered polite to add links to another person's item, but if you would like to see according to the USGS map http: //volcanoes .usgs. gov/ observatories /yvo / is the http address.

3. profile image0
      Stargrrlposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm using your answer in my new hub.  Hope you don't mind.  I will credit you.

4. colorfulone profile image78

In other words, it would be Doomsday?

Thank you for that link. Interesting site.

5. LillyGrillzit profile image79
      LillyGrillzitposted 8 years agoin reply to this

According to the geologists assigned to the Yosemite Caldera they say there is not much to worry about. According to rock evidence and other Geo patterns, I would say it is a powder keg. It could maybe not blow in our lifetime...

5. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 8 years ago

I live in Wyoming -- I wouldn't wink. When I lived in Powell (roughly 70 miles from Yellowstone) I was told the estimated survival in the event of an eruption would be 9-13 seconds. Now that I have the Bighorn Mountains between me and "ground zero," I might even get as much as 30 seconds. Considering the extent of such a catastrophe, though, those of us near the park may be lucky to be the first ones to go if it ever happened. For anyone who survived the initial blast, the volcanic winter would be ungodly -- I'm guessing deep shelter, a protected water source and a way to guard livestock from both cold and other survivors would be the first priority. Next, finding edible mosses and mushrooms that could survive underground; surface growth doesn't seem likely anytime soon after such an explosion. Finally, the texture of the ash has been discussed, but one must also remember that volcanic eruptions dispel a lot of poisonous gases as well. Major air filtration without significant power sources definitely seems like it'd be a considerable challenge.

Rebecca, that sounds bleak for people living in Wyoming. Major concerns for all of you so close to Yellowstone. A lot will depend on the wind's direction though. I just hope it does not blow.

6. lollyj lm profile image61
    lollyj lmposted 8 years ago

I live in Kansas so don't expect to survive a Yellowstone eruption.  Most people don't have the financial capability to move to locations that might be safe or build safe shelters.  Anyone who survives will have much more to worry about than the initial eruption and gases.  As most commenters pointed out, the long term effects will be deadly.

Laurel, wouldn't it be nice if the government was building shelters with supplies to house the masses of people in case of a supervolcano.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)