jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (22 posts)

Looking for off grid living, homesteading, and prepping hub writers

1. peeples profile image89
    peeplesposted 24 months ago

Hi all. I have been doing some searching for off grid article, homesteading article, and prepping article writers. All I seem to be finding after pages of search results are people who have wrote 1 or 2 articles on the topic. I'd like to find more writers to follow who write on one of those topics many times. So far all I have are 2 writers that I know of. Anyone know of other writers on the topic?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 24 months agoin reply to this

Hi peeples,

I don't have any Hubbers in particular to recommend, but you may want to check out the Outdoor Survival Skills and Apocalypse and End-of-the-World Survival Guides sections for active Hubbers with similar interests. smile

peeplesposted 24 months agoin reply to this

The recent (last few month posts) in the Apocalypse section are more political, and not even really preparedness or survival topics. I have yet to check the Outdoor survival section so I will check that now!
        Maybe there just aren't as many as I was thinking. Thanks!

2. bravewarrior profile image95
      bravewarriorposted 24 months agoin reply to this

Peeples, Ghost32 used to be a Hubber and left a couple of years ago. I follow him on his blog. He has several categories that he writes about. Living off-grid is one of them. He and his wife have been living off-grid in Cochise County Arizona for several years. He built his house himself (the supports are sandbags) and runs all of his electricity off generators. He goes into quite a bit of detail in his posts. Here's the link to his site: http://ghost32writer.com/

Thanks hun! Looks like that will be a good read. I see lots of good article titles on his off grid section.

1. bravewarrior profile image95
          bravewarriorposted 24 months agoin reply to this

You're welcome, Peeples. Ghost is a very good writer and quite entertaining.

3. Don Bobbitt profile image93
      Don Bobbittposted 24 months agoin reply to this

Peeples - I have been looking for the same thing.
      I have a blog called; Retro-Survivalist.blogspot,com where I have collected a lot of the same kind of information, that you might want to look at. And, it's not all my stuff, of course, as many of the posts are by other people.

You should be able to find other writers with the links there.

Also, on pinterest, I (donbo) have a board loaded with dozens of articles you might want to read written by others who, I think, have provided good solid survival articles.

Good luck on your search and I would love to see your stuff, so, I am going to follow you.

DON

Just subscribed to the blog and followed on pinterest. The blog is going to take a couple hours to fully search over. There appears to be a ton of info there on the types of things I am looking for.
        While I don't write much on the subject currently, I am working on my own "homesteading" and prepping projects now and taking lots of notes and pictures so that once they are complete I can write more. For now I am in a lot of the learning stages, and since my hubby has no real interest in these type things, it's going to be time consuming by myself.
        Once I get established I thought of either starting a blog or just posting on here. One day! For now I will learn and find my own way as long as I can find experienced people to follow!

4. Ana Kolomeka profile image82
      Ana Kolomekaposted 24 months agoin reply to this

It has been a lifelong fantasy of mine to give in a totally self-sustaining home.  Carole King (of "Tapestry" fame) lives on a fabulous 128 acre ranch in Idaho.  The whole facility is powered by hot springs.  You might want to read up on how she did it.

I'll have to check her out. Thanks.

2. WriteAngled profile image90
    WriteAngledposted 24 months ago

Here is a hubber living off-grid
    http://longtimemother.hubpages.com/

She's actually one of the 2 I know of. Her articles are helpful, along with Billybuc's. Trying to add to those. Thanks though!

3. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 24 months ago

You might check out Brie Hoffman - she's written several on the topic.

Thank you. I will go take a look now.

4. Jodah profile image87
    Jodahposted 24 months ago

Hi Peeples, I would have also recommended LongTimeMother but you already know her.
    I myself have written a few hubs related to the topic:
    In Search of Self-sufficiency
    Permaculture- the Basics
    Life on the Block
    Also some on companion planting, and good bugs vs bad bugs in the garden etc.

I missed your post somehow. I will surely give your articles a read. Thanks.

5. Silva Hayes profile image96
    Silva Hayesposted 24 months ago

I have been reading this site with interest; there are some good reviews of equipment etc.
    http://graywolfsurvival.com/

Thanks!

6. Silva Hayes profile image96
    Silva Hayesposted 24 months ago

Here's another one that I see on Facebook all the time. Scroll down to the comments to read a wealth of information from other people.

http://www.shtfpreparedness.com

Great website. Thank you.

7. Phyllis Doyle profile image91
    Phyllis Doyleposted 24 months ago

Hi peeples. When I read your post the first thing I thought about was 'tine houses on wheels' - they are similar to Gypsy wagons, but a little larger. That is really "off the grid" living.  One can buy some property to vacation and then take their home, park it on the lot and take it with them when they leave. Or travel around the country. Because they are small homes, there is not much room for storage of fresh foods. However, when living off the grid one can forage for fruits, berries, nuts, herbs, etc.

I looked for some hubs about tiny houses. Sadly I did not see any, but there are a lot of articles on the internet. Country living has a gallery of tiny houses at:

http://www.countryliving.com/home-desig … iny-house/

I love this concept. Thanks for the link.

working