What do you think about Washington state farmers dumping $100M worth of apples?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

What do you think about Washington state farmers dumping $100M worth of apples?

A record crop of apples, coupled with the West Coast port slowdown earlier this year, is taking a toll on Washington apple growers. Nearly $100 million worth of apples that cannot be sold have been dumped into fields across central Washington. The apples are being left to rot and compost in the hot sun. Doesn't it seem like these apples could have been given away to food shelters across the country? Many years ago I recall dairy famers dumping milk to maintain price levels. If they can't make a profit on something they'd rather destroy it. Does this seem morally right to you?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12439990_f260.jpg

2. sallieannluvslife profile image80
    sallieannluvslifeposted 8 years ago

No, this is not right, in any way, shape or form...those apples could easily be made into applesauce and feed thousands of people something nutritious and healthy.  What a travesty!  How many pies, Jewish apple cakes, fritters or brown bettys could I make with all those apples?!?!

1. sallieannluvslife profile image80
      sallieannluvslifeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I do not see why some businesses will not donate leftover products to homeless shelters, churches, schools or  women's shelters and other businesses, like Panera Bread, donate every last unused product they have...it just doesn't make sense....

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Here, many groceries don't want lawsuits for illnesses via outdated foods & put locks on dumpsters. Some loss of discarded/outdated food are covered by insurance; business owners want that $$. If they donate, IRS deduction is less. No, it'snot ni

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 8 years ago

There is nothing about this that is RIGHT! Everything about this is WRONG!!! In the USA an estimated $165 BILLION of food is wasted each year with much of it going in the trash before it ever reaches the consumers. In other countries there is a movement building to hold businesses accountable for this. Sadly people are idiots in many ways, especially here in America where everything needs to be perfect. Would it really interrupt someone's day so much to cut a soft spot off an apple or banana?!
    Companies like Walmart and other big chain grocery stores go so far as to only use compactors to keep dumpster divers from getting free stuff out of the dumpsters. Instead of someone actually using it or them giving it away they put it in a dumpster that they can squeeze up to destroy any product inside. Do you realize we could feed every hungry person in this country with the amount of stuff thrown away?! I find it sickening! It reminds me of when I was a child. My parents were cutting behind a walmart store and saw a bunch of employees beating bikes with bats. My dad pulled up and asked them what they were doing and they told him walmart required them to destroy them since they couldn't sell them. This was in the days before compactors. Truly sad!!

1. ChristinS profile image41
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely! Wal-mart is one of the worst human rights offenders on the planet for so many reasons.  I refuse to shop there unless there is just no other option and thankfully that isn't very often!

4. ChristinS profile image41
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

No, it's morally repugnant in a country where people are going hungry every day to be so wasteful.  I remember my very first job many moons ago was at a famous chicken restaurant.  We were allowed to take a piece or two home at the end of the night, but we were told in no uncertain terms that to take food from the restaurant to donate or give away was an offense you could be fired for.  That was one of the first moments I realized how selfish, egocentric and illogical many big businesses are.  It was shameful then and it's shameful now.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

Dang. Just imagine all of the Angry Orchard hard apple cider that could've been made from those apples!! sad

6. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years ago

Food wasted over a ports dispute? -- I am disgusted with this waste and especially for a dispute being used for the reason. This type of action seems to be a part of the American business landscape. Some people in business would rather throw away product than help people and I don't think that will change. 

In the 1950s, farmers dumped milk and coffee into the Gulf of Mexico in order to raise retail prices with a false shortage. Then, the feds starting paying farmers not to grow crops.

In 2005, Ohio had 6 years' worth of corn rotting in silos and added more; then a documentary about corn-based fuel Ethanol showed that the corn ears were not even used for the fuel, but only the green parts, and the corn ears were thrown away.

Central Ohio grocery stores throw away a lot of outdated food instead of donating it and take insurance money for part of their losses.   

Large quantities of crops and food animals are tossed away every year. The waste is wrong; and why raise and kill animals for food, just to throw them away?

Then we have Monsanto controlling crop seeds, except that heritage seed farmers are gaining some control back.

My opinion is that the farmers could have sold the apples to Washington local makers of applesauce, baby food, jams/jellies, and animal feed. 

Thanks for the question.

7. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

WOW! Really? The apples were trashed because of overage? Were they good apples? Why can't they be sold? Please tell me there's more to this that I'm missing. $100 million worth of apples gone to waste is mind-boggling. Those would have been perfect to hand out at the breakfast ministry I run at my church. There are so many children (and adults for that matter) who don't get enough fresh fruit in their diets. Ey-yi-yi!

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The apples probably can be retrieved for jelly, apple juice, baby food and animal feed, even if they were starting to soften - unless there is a health regulation against that. A church could go and get them!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)