Do you remember local eccentric characters from your childhood? What were they l

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)
  1. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 8 years ago

Do you remember local eccentric characters from your childhood? What were they like?

As a young child I recall the family who lived next door to my aunt Cecilia. There was an old mother and a black cat, plus her two twin sons were still living with her. They were both craftsmen, plumbers, and they were both aged 52! Their names? Bill and Ben Pearson. A strange sort of set up but I got used to their comings and goings on bikes. Sad thing is, they often got drunk and when they did, I got to learn some quaint kind of English.

2. profile image0
    lambservantposted 8 years ago

There was a woman from Romania, or some such country that looked like a Babushka in her scarf and strange dress! Her name was Anna but we called her Anna Banana! She walked around the school grounds staring at us through classroom windows! We were told she wad looking for her child who had died! We all cared for her!

chef-de-jourposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You cared for her? Meaning you were curious about her or you spoke to her or you wanted to try and help her in some way? Fascinating image of this woman looking in through the window. Love it.

3. serenityjmiller profile image73
    serenityjmillerposted 8 years ago

Oh yes, when I was about four years old, my folks fell on hard times, and we lived for a little while on the main floor of a two-story house in a small South Dakota town in the middle of absolutely nowhere. Upstairs lived a 30-something-year-old man named Dave, who was a goth before "goth" was a thing - dyed-black hair, eye makeup, nail polish, chains, candles, death and romance, the whole nine yards. Among other items of interest, Dave had an acoustic guitar, and he had a bright red parrot named Parry. I was never supposed to go upstairs to visit Dave, but when I did, he would always be sitting on the floor, smoking funny-smelling cigarettes and listening to vinyl records I couldn't understand. Dave never said much to me, and I never said much to him, but when I came to visit,  Dave would pick up his guitar and start playing songs he'd written, and his parrot would sing the words. I never understood why my folks didn't want me to go upstairs to visit Dave... but I will never forget him or his singing parrot.

How bizarre, exciting and frightening? I love this scene - singer Dave and parrot and you the child - young woman - sitting agog as Dave played his home made songs (inspired by the weed?) with Parry as backing singer. Wonderful.

4. Marie Flint profile image71
    Marie Flintposted 8 years ago

My maternal grandfather was one such person. He would write letters to friends/relatives in the old country--all in Slavic, which uses the Russian alphabet. One story about him was that when he was working the cash register for my uncle at his garage, Grandpa sometimes mistakenly gave out $20 bills as part of the change. One loyal customer told my uncle, "You'd better watch him."

My grandfather also loved to go to the Buckhorn Inn, the local bar owned and operated by my mother and her sisters. Everyone knew Joe as a shuffle board shark. No one could beat him. A neighbor confided with me, though, that he did beat him once. The neighbor admitted that Grandpa Joe was a force to be contended with.

A third story about Grandpa Joe was his practice about getting beer. My mother said he'd rub a little lard on the inside of his container. No matter how the bartender shook that container, the beer wouldn't foam, so Grandpa ensured his fair share of beer at purchase.

Anotherr character I remember was my next-door neighbor Russell Goedeke (GEH doh key).. By "next-door," I mean the nearest neighbor. We lived in a rural farm area. As a child, it took me about 15 minutes or so to walk to their house. Mr. Goedeke seemed to always be impatient and in a foul mood. His demeanor took its toll one day, and he lost his left hand trying to free the jammed hay in his baler. I never knew him with two hands. When he'd get angry, he'd waive that left-armed stump in the air. That left quite an impression on me. I can still see him standing and waiving that stump. May his soul rest in peace.

My elder brother was a third character from my childhood. He was always pulling practical jokes and soften any frustration with his wide, winning smile. I wrote about him when I first started here at Hub Pages. The article is no longer published, but I incorporated it into my first eBook through Book Country. John was a lot of fun. There was nothing too serious in life that he couldn't handle, except maybe the leukemia that took him at age 32. God bless him!

Such a cast of characters Marie, vividly portrayed. The image of Mr Goedeke with his stump is a strong one, I can see him now getting all frustrated about something rural and farm related. And old Joe from the east would slot neatly into any novel!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)