Do you like the new hubpages layout?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (34 posts)
  1. tillsontitan profile image83
    tillsontitanposted 8 years ago

Do you like the new hubpages layout?

I know change is inevitable but I really don't like the new layout.  The first page is plain and boring and it seems difficult to find things.  When I looked up hubs under explore there were very few people I know..

2. Pam Morris profile image83
    Pam Morrisposted 8 years ago

I welcome changes. The new change is not that bad, and sometimes it takes a change to bring about bigger and better things. I love exploring to find what I need in a new place.  After all if everything stays the same; we are closing ourselves into a box to NEVER advance, that not a wise decision.

tillsontitanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I totally understand, but it leave out so many things.

2. fpherj48 profile image59
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sure Pam...some changes are fine.  The point is, nothing will please EVERYONE, so rather than be Democratic to question the masses for opinions up or down......it's just a Dictatorship. Little people just make the money.

3. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Tillie ..."Change" isn't always inevitable, GF.  In fact, unless caused by forces of Nature, change is a CHOICE.   In this case, "we" have NO choice in the matter.  You don't like it.  I hate it.  I just try to hang in there with all & everything around here, go on with my own agenda and be happy.   I can't even think about leaving the people I love here. 
    What an enormous impact MONEY has on the decisions we all make. In terms of money, I have no reason to stay here. What matters to me are our fellow-writers...........Oh well.   Peace, Effer

1. Pam Morris profile image83
      Pam Morrisposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Nicely stated

2. tillsontitan profile image83

So very true GF.  I know change is inevitable, but change for the better is what we look for! 
      I would NEVER leave my friends here.

4. Don Bobbitt profile image84
    Don Bobbittposted 8 years ago

This change is a real pain for me.
    I like to read MY FEED first thing in the mornings, or whatever time of day I log in for that matter. Then, I go on to other things as my time dictates.
    SO, now, I have to log in and then click over to MY FEED. Not a problem for HP, right? It's their way, or the highway.
    Me? I'm just another money source I guess, and this is just another way to force me to walk down their path.
    Very Frustrated!
    DON

Its just so difficult to find things!

2. fpherj48 profile image59

And it LOOKS uninteresting and too rigid......Does anyone know the REASONING behind this?   I suppose we're not entitled to know that either.

5. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 8 years ago

It takes some getting used to. The one issue I have is that for first time access to Hubpages.com, it does not explain what Hubpages is all about. Perhaps, at the home page, a more prominent link to the "about" page would let new comers get a better understanding.

6. Au fait profile image85
    Au faitposted 8 years ago

I hate the new 'home page' if that's what it's called, on HP.  Instead of going to the feed as it always has in the past, clicking on HubPages at the top left of each page takes me to Topics.  It's an irritation and an inconvenience when I'm on my computer, but the REAL problem is with my phone.

My phone requires me to manually update the feed page every time I want that to happen.  When I first access HP on my phone, whatever was there the last time is what I will get, it won't automatically update, and that has been true from the beginning.

Instead of being able to 'click' on HubPages at the top of the page on my phone, I now must 'click' on Explore just like on my computer.  Thing is, the word Explore is half the size of a micro virus.  After 'clicking' on the small word Explore, a dropdown menu appears with choices printed 1/10 of the size of the word Explore, which is barely visible to the naked eye.

I have a stylus for the purpose of being more accurate when having to access teeny teeny tiny tiny  words that require a microscope to see.  Never the less, my Smart Phone takes me to things that aren't even listed options and after going 12 rounds with my phone trying to update the feed page I often just close it and give up.  All it does is raise my already through the roof blood pressure.

True that my Samsung Galaxy s5, just 6.5 months old, is a piece of excrement, and has been practically from day one.  I would only recommend someone buy one of these phones if they are absolutely certain they hate themselves and that there can be no hope that will change their minds until they have punished themselves by paying more than $750 for a Smart phone that is dumber than the stupidest rock in the universe.  So while the major problem is the phone, changing the HubPages home page has not been even a teeny tiny help.  It has only added to the frustration, intentional or not.

Previously when I could 'click' on HubPages to update my feedpage it worked every time (not much works right on this S5 so I thought I'd mention this in an attempt to add some balance), but now it's all but impossible to get the feedpage updated.  Fighting with this phone to get it to register 'feed' after 'clicking' on Explore, takes more time out of my day than traffic lights, and I'm sure they have taken at least half of my life.

Samsung Galaxy S5 sucks big time and this new means of accessing the feedpage on HP isn't far behind.

I haven't even tried it on my phone  yet, but I hate it on m compuer.

7. Gypsy Willow profile image66
    Gypsy Willowposted 8 years ago

No
    No
    No
    Is that long enough now? I can't comment further!

And your answer says it all!

8. bravewarrior profile image85
    bravewarriorposted 8 years ago

Honestly, I never go to the homepage, so it doesn't really matter to me what HP does with it. I have my computer set to open to my profile page when I bring up HP.

I rely on the notifications I'm sent in my email to see what's new from hubbers I follow. I also keep an eye on the FB HubPages group. I've found new writers (to me, anyway) through that. I know I'm not taking advantage of all HP has to offer. As it is, HP takes up a lot of my time. I don't know how those who have thousands of followers keep up with them all. I try to show as much support as I can as a community member and it can become a real time suck.

Perhaps I'm missing out by not checking in on the homepage from time to time, but there just aren't enough hours in the day.

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Same here with me, Sha.  I open up HP via my email notifications and so I never go to the homepage.  So true, there are not enough hours in the day!  It takes a lot of time each day to read and comment on those I follow and I want to be supportive.

2. tillsontitan profile image83

You are both so right.  However, the old home page made it easier to see what was happening, at least in my humble opion.

9. profile image0
    greeneyedblondieposted 8 years ago

I like how more unknown, brand new, or struggling hubs get more reconigition now under "hubs" but that's about it. Nothing else is really benefitial for me. I do like how they say what a hub is tagged under, but again, it doesn't really benefit anyone.

I think giving new hubbers recognition is great, but not at the price of the old ones wink

10. blessedp profile image79
    blessedpposted 8 years ago

I don't like it at all. I guess I have to get use to it but I was comfortable with the old layout.

I know comfort is a big part of it, but it just seems to be lacking and inconvenient.

11. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

Mary, it isn't the best, especially the default to "newest hubs" when a lot of them are poor quality and haven't even been through a quality check. I read another thread that explained it was to keep Google happy, attract more readers and make it easier for them to find what they were looking for.I would dispute that, but time will tell. It doesn't really effect me however because I bookmarked my "Feed" page so everytime I click on "Hub Pages" on my bookmarks bar it takes me straight to my feed not the new home page.

I think I will be using my email notifications more.  I don't even recognize most of the people listed now.

12. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 8 years ago

I don't love it. Actually, I don't even like it. Some of the first posts you see are by authors who have really bad grammar---and that's not to say that my grammar is amazing either. Nevertheless, it's all rather disconcerting. Oh well! I imagine the layout will change again....and hopefully for the better next time around..

We have to keep our fingers crossed it doesn't take too long for the layout to change.  This one is too constricting too.

13. padmendra profile image50
    padmendraposted 8 years ago

Change is always good for some or other reasons. But the present  hubpages layout is comparingly not easy to understand. A layout that is easy in its way and smooth in the way we understand, would have been much useful.

Definitely, and as I've said before the removal of author links is certainly NOT a good thing.

14. carter06 profile image68
    carter06posted 8 years ago

Hi Till, thought I'd comment when I saw your question..normally I enjoy the challenges that changes make but this new layout is hard to work out..
    I'm not around as much as I used to be so that's part of it for me but even so I find it complicated.
    Cheers

I think one of the things that's been changed, that is NOT an advantage no matter how you look at it is the lack of a link back  to the author.  Sometimes you want to know who they are!  (Good to see you.)

15. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

I hate it.  The regular feed we had was much more user-friendly, and easier to scroll through and find things. 
    The forum posts and Q&A were clearly marked in larger type than currently, and besides that, now, the HP blog posts are all mixed in, instead of in a sidebar as they were before, making it nearly impossible to find announcements of new or discontinued features.  I hate it.
    I asked in the forum, and was told, "Oh, just click on 'explore' and you will be able to click on your feed as it always was."  Yes.  But why should I have to take that extra step?  I hate it.
    The new format is blah, boring, sterile, and uninviting, IMO.  I hate it.

Oh--did I mention-- I HATE IT!!

1. fpherj48 profile image59

LOL!  Dzy, I could have predicted your opinion!  You & I seem to have the same wave lengths.  Think it has anything to do with our young age?   Don't they know how Boomers hate CHANGE!!???   Ba, Hum Bug!

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

LOL, Paula!  I know, right?  I sometimes feel as if I am turning into Lucy's "grumpy old lady" of "Peanuts' " fame..  ;-)

3. tillsontitan profile image83

Ladies, we are definitely of the same ilk.  I think the ease of use went with the old way.  This new way is confusing and not user friendly.  You hit the nail on the head Lizzy, you can't tell hubs from blogs and I miss the links to authors.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)