New Idea: Wake Up With Hup! The HubPages Morning Q & A Hour

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Ryan Hupfer profile image59
    Ryan Hupferposted 15 years ago

http://hubpages.com/u/551160_f520.jpg

As you all have probably realized by now, I have a lot of new ideas that pop into my head ALL the time. Well, my latest idea is a little bit wacky, but I think that it will be great for the HubPages community.

Basically, each morning I get into the office about an hour and a half earlier than the rest of the HubPages crew, which allows me to get some things done and listen to some tunes while I get ready for the rest of the day. Well, since I have this hour all to myself each day, I thought that I mught as well make it an hour where we can all hang out together...so I've created a LIVE vide chat where we can chat, help out other Hubbers and basically just hang out each morning.

Basically what I can do is let all of you chat with me and ask questions while I *try* to answer them while on camera. I say that we give it a shot and have some fun with it - so here goes nothing. Today I'll have to be done in about a half hour or so, but I wanted to kick it off today.

All you need to do to join the video chat is click the link below - chat it up and let me know who you are once you're online and watching!

Click here to go the the Wake Up With Hup! Morning Q & A Hour now

See you online!

2. Ryan Hupfer profile image59

Jimmy was just in...but he had to go take his 3 kids to MickyDs. smile

http://www.listropolis.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/mcdonalds.jpg

3. Ryan Hupfer profile image59

Ok, I've got to get ready for a meeting here in a few minutes, so I'll kick this off again tomorrow morning stating around 8:00am, California time.

It's all set up now, so we should be ready to go. smile

4. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 15 years ago

was nice talking to you ryan .....jimmy

Ryan Hupferposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yep, you too!

See you all tomorrow smile

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
        Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You should post the time you'll be on in some of the major time zones, so folks can plan their days around it... wink  'Cause you know they will drop everything to communicate with the Communicator of Awesomeness.

5. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Wouldn't it be nice to see Ryan post every night before he leaves the office when he's anticipating being in the following morning, so that we can keep out eyes peeled?

I'm so going to visit with you in the morning, Hup!  big_smile 8am pacific is 11am for me, so I'll get to work and talk to you all at the same time!

Yep, it will be 8am Pacific Time, so set your alarms accordingly. smile

1. Jerrico Usher profile image56
        Jerrico Usherposted 15 years agoin reply to this

alarms? didn't we decide to work at home so we could throw that loud contraption away? lol

I overslept this morning and missed the show sad

6. gamergirl profile image84

PFFFT!! I'm working before you're even dreaming about waking up!

*flex*

7. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 15 years ago

How many members of the Hub community are going to know about this morning hour?  Since you introduce it in the Hangout forum, and the people in the Hangout are an elite group, meaning that long-time Hubbers know to come to this thread for the pulse on the community, you are reaching only a small portion of those who could contribute to this site.  Is that what you want to encourage, the participation of the longstanding Hubbers, while dismissing the contributions of people new to HP?

I suggest you advertise this Morning Q&A feature by building a Home Page for HubPages.

HP doesn't have a "Home" in its title bar.  A Home page would be the perfect place to launch a morning hour and feature HubMobs, the HP blog, the philosophy of the site, the worth of the site, and god knows what else.  Why doesn't HupPages have a Home page that outlines its purpose, features its news, highlights its blog, and, well you know what I mean, don't you?

I've always been perplexed by the lack of a Home page.  Almost every other site in the universe has one, and HP doesn't.  Yet, a home page is what surfers expect.

The purpose of a Home page is to anchor the reader in the foundation of the site and generate interest and involvement.  When new folks come to HP, they have no anchor like this.

8. gamergirl profile image84

Sally's Trove!

If you hover your mouse pointer over the Hubpages logo you'll see it takes you back to hubpages.com itself - where you can see your featured hubbers (those who've posted recently) and tag groups and a slice of your hubtivity.  It is an invaluable tool!

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Indeed it is a good tool.  But it is not a *Home* page.  Yes, you can see featured Hubbers, featured topics, and three boxed statements that have no links to anywhere.

HP is missing out on an opportunity to engage new visitors.  The entry page to HP is a mystery for those who expect a home page.  It doesn't give a new viewer a grounding.  What does a new visitor know about Featured Hubbers and Featured Topics?  New visitors don't know what a Hub or a Hubber is.

smile  And (((hugs))), 'cause I like you a lot.

9. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 15 years ago

Then there's the link to Take a Quick Tour...well, that explains what a Hub is, so to speak, but it still does not give that grounding and orientation to what HP is.

What is HubPages?  What is New?  Why do you want to be here?  What about HP in the news? 

Where's the excitement about the site?  The excitement is in the Forums, if you know how to get there, and if you know that the Hubbers' Hangout is where you need to be. 

But this excitement is not on a *Home* page.  Sites in the Internet universe have a *Home* page, why not this one?

10. Ryan Hupfer profile image59

Jumping off the train and will be live from the HubPages HQ in about 15 minutes! smile

See you all soon...

11. gamergirl profile image84

YAY!

12. Ryan Hupfer profile image59

Just me and gamergirl hanging out...anyone else want to join in?

13. gamergirl profile image84

You kids are missing me and Hup and the grand tour of HP HQ!

14. gamergirl profile image84

Great talk with Hup this morning, mostly technical burps on some points, but a good time!

Awesome chatting with you too!

I definitely learned some interesting things about you this morning. smile

Yesterday we had 1 person, today we had 4 people...who's going to join in tomorrow?

http://hubpages.com/u/553183_f520.jpg

15. Ryan Hupfer profile image59

I'll be LIVE from the HubPages HQ in about 30 minutes if anyone wants to hang for a few.

I was going to go over some of the HUbMob Hubs that have been submitted so far this week, but feel free to jump on the video chat and chat about anything that's on your mind.

See you soon! smile

16. Ryan Hupfer profile image59

Come on over and chat!

http://twurl.nl/g8jziy

17. Ryan Hupfer profile image59

Wow, me and gamergirl are coming up with some AMAZING ideas for HubPages over in the chat room! If you want to join in, come on over..we're waiting. smile

18. gamergirl profile image84

You folks should definitely get in on these chats.  Not only is Ryan a snappy dresser but he also has some awesome ideas to brainstorm about, you're really missing out on some great times if you miss these chats.

Don't let her fool you...she's coming up with all of the great ideas. smile

19. terenceyap07 profile image60
    terenceyap07posted 15 years ago

... and it helps if you do not keep losing your internet connection like me.

*sigh*

20. gamergirl profile image84

sad  Poor terence!

21. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

8am Pacific is about 1am where I live - maybe if you stayed late after work one evening I could chat to you, Ryan ...

Jenny

22. Ryan Hupfer profile image59

See all of you in about 20 minutes...getting off the train here in a few. smile

Go here to chat with us! http://twurl.nl/g8jziy

Also, me and gamergirl have a fun, new idea to keep all of us busy over the weekend...

CHOOOO CHOOOO!

23. gamergirl profile image84

Hey guys - another episode of the show soon!  Get over there through this link:

http://twurl.nl/g8jziy

24. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years ago

Come on over and hang out with us!!! 

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/wake-up-w … mp;-a-hour

25. Ryan Hupfer profile image59

Come on over and hang out...there's quite a crowd today! smile

(p.s. gamergirl is handing out free cocktails for her 1 year anniversary)

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/SCCWebsite/SCCWSImages.nsf/WebLookupImageByUNID/docidB5EAF5EE1418616A8025715C003678DF/$FILE/Cocktail-glasses.gif

26. profile image0
    SirDentposted 15 years ago

I tried, but my connection just can't handle it.

27. Ryan Hupfer profile image59

Thanks for hanging out everyone! I think we had like 10 Hubbers in there chatting at one point....awesome! smile

See you next Monday!

...and don't worry, I'll remind you...haha.

28. terenceyap07 profile image60
    terenceyap07posted 15 years ago

Will do my best to join you guys on Monday.

*smiles*

29. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years ago

It was a lot of fun!!!  I will try to be on Monday.  Have a great weekend, everyone!!

30. gamergirl profile image84

I hope you all have a lovely weekend!

31. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

I had a lot of fun chatting, but it will not let me sign up with a profile.  Each time I go to type in the captcha letters these are hard to see, and it keeps telling me I am typing in the wrong letters.  Oh well, I will try again later.

32. Ryan Hupfer profile image59

Crashing for the night, but I will see all of you tomorrow morning on UStream!

Be sure to join us if you can...it's 8:00am West Coast time. smile

33. Ryan Hupfer profile image59

Ok. so I am sitting still on the train right now about 20 minutes from San Francisco because an earlier train hit a truck a few minutes ago! How crazy is that? I hope that they're all OK...I mean, how does that really happen?

I'll try to get to the office as soon as I can, but as of now I definitely won't be there by 8pm.

Updates coming soon...

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
      Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I will assume you mean 8am, not pm...???

34. Lazur profile image71
    Lazurposted 15 years ago

What time is that G.T? tongue

35. Ryan Hupfer profile image59

haha....yeah, 8am. smile

Jumping on now!

36. Ryan Hupfer profile image59

Well, so far there are no trucks in the train tracks, so I should be good to go at 8am, which is about 30 minutes. I'm going to stop and get me some breakfast really fast, but I should still be there on time.

I'm starving! smile

Come on over and hang out!

http://twurl.nl/va2wae

37. Ryan Hupfer profile image59

Come on over and chat now...I'm officially LIVE from our office. smile

38. Lazur profile image71
    Lazurposted 15 years ago

Fun!big_smile  I'll be back cool

Great chatting with everyone and I'll see you all tomorrow at the same time! smile

39. gamergirl profile image84

Everyone jump in, Ryan, Anna Marie Bowman, myself and Yvette are in the room!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)