Should abortion be the woman's choice only?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (17 posts)
  1. yazkie profile image61
    yazkieposted 8 years ago

If two consenting adults want to have a child and the man decides he doesn't within the first trimester and the woman will not have an abortion should he have to pay child support. On the other hand if the woman doesn't want the child but the man still wants the child should she be allowed to have an abortion if he wants the child?

2. Seafarer Mama profile image78
    Seafarer Mamaposted 8 years ago

If two consenting adults want to have a child and engage in actions that have the potential to produce that child, then they BOTH accept the possibility and responsibility for bringing that child into the world.  Once the pregnancy has come to fruition, there is no turning back.  A man changing his mind is NOT a good reason for abortion. 

The man who wants to have the pleasure that might lead to producing a living human being must take the responsibility for that child once his actions lead to the originally intended result.  A woman who wants to bring the pregnancy to term and give life outside the womb to the baby deserves the support of those around her.  She believes in the sacredness of the life within her and the man who helped produce that life has a responsibility to support the care of the child financially, regardless of the fate of his relationship with the woman.

1. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Karen, Sometimes it's the man who wants the woman to go full-term and (she) chooses not to. Thus the question:

2. Seafarer Mama profile image78
      Seafarer Mamaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

True, but the case presented in the original question is about the man changing his mind to not wanting the pregnancy to continue.  That is the question/situation I responded to.  Each case is different.

3. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The complete question also states:  "On the other hand if the woman doesn't want the child but the man still wants the child should she be allowed to have an abortion if he wants the child?" Should abortion be the (woman's choice) only?

3. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 8 years ago

The disregard for human life wrapped up in the abortion industry presents complicated questions, and much heartbreak.  In tandem with yours, there are the questions of grandparents' rights, all of which are disregarded by those who promote abortion as a viable choice when a woman does not want a baby.

1. Seafarer Mama profile image78
      Seafarer Mamaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It sounds from this situation that the woman does want the child and the man wants the abortion.  Yes, grandparents have rights to grandchildren, but are they willing to back up their rights with financial support for the child?

2. Express10 profile image85
      Express10posted 8 years agoin reply to this

The disregard for human life begins when two people have sex without discussing the issues that could arise so that they could prevent the very situation presented by the person asking the question. Also, what are "grandparent's rights" exactly?

3. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There are many useful resources on the topic of grandparent's rights, but this one could initially be helpful:
      http://www.grandparents.com/family-and- … ghts-guide

4. Express10 profile image85

Unless the grandparent's hold full custody, I disagree with the concept of grandparents' rights. So much more is required to raise a happy, good child than visits or money and the abortion choice is only that of the parents.

5. profile image0

Can't imagine that grandparents who would speak up for the child wouldn't want full custody.  In the case I know personally the grandparents would have given everything to prevent it, but of course, they could not.

6. Express10 profile image85

I understand that grandparents may want grandkids but many cannot take care of children properly and the choice is no one's but the parents. I find it sad that so many people do not think carefully before creating a child.

7. profile image0

You are so right, it is sad--inexpressibly so, for children are precious gifts. More grand parents are able to take good care of children than one might think, but it's the willing ones that go uncredited. There are even resources available if ne

4. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 8 years ago

I'd like to preface my answer with my belief that NO one should CREATE a child if they are not 100% sure they are up for the job emotionally, physically and financially. Many people ignore the fact that they CREATED the child via sex/in-vitro and act as if a child "just happens." So many people have and continue to harm themselves and others with this horrible attitude towards creating life.

If the man wants an abortion within the 1st trimester, unfortunately for the man in this situation, I believe that the final choice lies with the mother. It is her body that is providing life and nourishment to the child and if she wants the child, no one can force her to abort it. And, referring back to my initial statement, it takes two to tango so he (and she) should have thought of not creating children if one or both did not want them and had not talked about the various consequences of having sex or creating a child.

If the woman doesn't want the child, unfortunately for the man if he truly does want it, the woman is carrying the child and it is her body. SHE should have thought about all the details and work of having a child BEFORE she helped to create it. As a couple, they should have had serious talks about a variety of scenarios so that they would avoid disagreements and bad choices PRIOR to having sex and creating a child.

1. Austinstar profile image85
      Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Exactly! All the pro-lifers should put their time, effort, and money into educating people on PREVENTION of pregnancies and provide all the necessary contraception choices free of charge. Pregnancies have to be judged individually after the fact.

5. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12617348_f260.jpg

"Life is not fair!"
    That was something my mother often told me when I complained about feeling mistreated or observing someone getting special treatment.
    That use to piss me off when my mother would say "Life is not fair!"
    However I now see it as saying sometimes you just have to deal with things and move on. Once a man plants the seed he has no (physical) control.
    I'm sure there have been some instances where men have successfully persuaded women to go one way or the other depending on how much they were into the men at that time.
    According to statistics marital status matters!
    Most women getting abortions (83%) are unmarried; of that 67% have never married, and 16% are separated, divorced, or widowed. Married women are significantly less likely than unmarried women to resolve unintended pregnancies through abortion.
    However (premarital sex) is the "norm" in this day and age.
    This suggests if a man really wants a woman to have his child his odds of convincing her to go full-term increases if they marry.
    As for men who don't want children there are very few options.
    1. Abstinence from vaginal intercourse
    2. Only have sex with women who have gone through menopause.
    3. Always wear a condom (maybe two) even if she's on the pill.
    4. Get a vasectomy
    Unfortunately the medical community has yet to make it a priority to develop a birth control pill (for men). I suspect it's because women have the higher risk of consequences in the event birth control fails.
    Women have approximately 11 types of birth control methods.
    Men are still using the same method from 1642!
    There's also a possibility some men would lie about being on the pill just to have sex with women when things got hot and heavy.
    However I suspect there are also men who may want to have children down the road but are very adamant about not having them now who would gladly take a daily pill or an annual shot to.
    Nonetheless a recent British surveyed revealed that only 1 out of 10 men would take a daily pill. However that may rise if it's proven safe.
    Vasalgel injection is another product being tested.
    Until man is able to control when he wants to impregnate a woman he will be at the mercy of whatever decision the woman makes.
    It's her body.

1. Austinstar profile image85
      Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Awesome answer! I would like to add that males could freeze their sperm and then get a vasectomy. That way they can 'change their minds later' if need be. It would be nice if women could do the same with their eggs. Maybe they could. Prevent ALL preg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)