There are bible studies and there are bible teachings. Do you know the differe

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)
  1. celafoe profile image55
    celafoeposted 8 years ago

There are bible studies and there are bible teachings.   Do you know the difference.

There are bible studies and there are bible teachings.    They are not the same thing.   Their formats and purposes are VERY different.    Do you know the differences,

2. Rich kelley profile image61
    Rich kelleyposted 8 years ago

Teaching as shown in the scripture by Jesus, Paul, Peter, Stephen is empowered by the Holy Spirit. What those that teach have in common is they are gifted by God with the Holy Spirit to teach on matters concerning the Kingdom of God. Unlike the institutional churches teaching is not done by the shepherd/pastor. Teaching in the Ekklesia is done by those given the spiritual gift to teach. They are not given a title but the ability to actually build up the body by their actions of teaching.

Teaching requires that you study to show yourself approve to God, not man. The study Paul was telling Timothy about was not six years at a seminary to learn what man has to say on religious matters. The study is to be with yourself the scriptures and the Holy Spirit. If you use commentaries, studies and other materials then you are studying  man's doctrines and not Gods. The Holy Spirit will use the teacher to build up the body of believers. There should be a daily exchange with members sharing what the Holy Spirit of God has worked in your life, studies, teachings, prayers etc.

There are no examples of Bible study in the scripture, this is something that the institutional church has come up with. The New Testament disciples didn't walk around with their leather covered bibles two days a week as they headed into a building to be told what the word meant. Jesus said he would send the Holy Spirit to teach admonish etc. not the institutional churches of men. This is not to say that we don't study the scriptures but the way it is done today the Holy Spirit doesn't have a chance. Man and their teaching are in charge. A group of like minded believers should share what the Spirit of God shows them in their studies. There should be interactions of encouragements and correction if needed. Pre-determined lesson plans is not what Paul had in mind when writing to Timothy about his studies.

when Jesus gave the sermon on the mount it was a teaching. When he withdrew with his disciples and they asked him questions it became a study.

1. profile image51
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I AGREE 100%!  I can relate to Paul in Galatians 1:12;16 "I neither rec'd if of man, nor was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ. (v16) "Immediately, I conferred NOT w/flesh & blood."
      Alone w/GOD I found that ONE SPIRIT!

3. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 8 years ago

To study is to self learn. Even the concept of studying under a master means the master guides not teaches. I never had a study group that had a teacher in it. If someone thinks they are studying when another tells them the "truth" it may be learning but not studying.
    Teaching is to relate ones own thought process and facts upon another. Hence Jesus "taught" in parables normally causing disciples to study and understand on their own. He also "taught" by example, leaving others to study and take from it what they would.
    I wonder did Socrates teach?

1. Rich kelley profile image61
      Rich kelleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Luke 6:40 "A pupil is not above his teacher; but everyone, after he has been fully trained, will be like his teacher.
      The goal is to be like Christ, without adjusting your learning process to His you end up like all that you let contaminate you.

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Great stuff Rich,
      You added "trained" into the mix which is different than both teach and study - or is it a combo?

3. Rich kelley profile image61

Trained, will be as, shall be perfect, taught, perfect disciple, restored, are the renderings of the word in scripture most often translated trained. I thing it is the results of teach and study. What do we want to be when we grow up? Like Christ?

4. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I want to be like Jesus. I don't want to be trained yet though. It is too great being taught and studying. Perhaps we are made faulty, so we have some striving to live for.

5. Rich kelley profile image61

I'll let Him tell me I've been trained until then, the Holy Spirit, the Scriptures and fellow disciples are the path I chose to learn on.

6. profile image51

Rich: Question is do u have the Spirit of Discernment to tell WHO Holy Spirit talks thru? Does it align w/WORD? Do u reject bcuz of "teachings?" Have u done as Acts 17:11? Do u come before Him w/"clean slate" mind? Have u prayed for guidance?
      Growin?

4. profile image51
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

"Studying" is exchanging ideas and opinions on subject matter in a group setting whereas "Teaching" is relaying Holy Spirit's revelation of "rightly divided" Word to others!

OFF TOPIC: You know, I woke up last night after falling asleep with TV on and there was a commentary on about Azusa Street Revival and Pentecostals!  I saw they have the same Spirit that I have and no one believes!  We have such POWER within but I don't know what happened that man has allowed "religion" to "twist" the Word of God and have most believing serving God is something personal and should be done "religiously correct!"  Do they not know that "religion" is Satan's Greatest Device (Tool) to loose souls?

There are too many Scriptures that say Believers should be "on one accord," too many that says "there is ONE Spirit," too many that say "Baptism should be done according to WORD "After the Day of Pentecost," too many, and yet everyone "ignores" and somehow has gotten the understanding that Paul (vessel) "preached another gospel" (Galatians 3) and did not stand in Christ Stead (Acts 9:15)! 

What happened? Did ALL forget to worship "In Spirit and in Truth?" Did ALL forget God changed from "Glory to Glory" throughout Scripture?  Why do MOST see GOD as father and son when in actuality, He is Father (Glory) and Son (Glory)? Did they forget "With God, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE?"  Did they forget Acts 9:15 where God said, "He (Paul) will be a vessel to me..?"  If vessel (blank, full of GOD), was it not JESUS talking through Paul?  Did Scripture not tell us on The Day of Pentecost in Acts 2:42 "The disciples continued steadfastly in the apostles doctrine?"  Why would one think it was "the apostles' doctrine" when Jesus said He was going to use Paul as a vessel? Did Paul (vessel) not ask us to "Follow me, as I follow Christ?" (I Corinthians 4;16; 11:1)!   

Unheard of, huh?  Against "everything" you've been "taught!"  Notice in my initial response I said "Teaching is relaying Holy Spirit's revelation of God's Word to others" and "religion's" teachers have read "the letter" only and it "makes sense" in the carnal realm!  But is this what God wants?  Did He not say in John 4:24 "...TRUE WORSHIPERS "shall" worship the Father in spirit AND in truth; FOR THE FATHER SEEKETH SUCH TO WORSHIP HIM?"

We speak to ALL on HP telling them they need to be saved, but consider ourselves, are we living "After the Day of Pentecost" according to His Word?

1. profile image51

Why do you think Script says we should be "ON ONE ACCORD?" Bcuz that ONE SPIRIT (Father, Son, Holy Spirit & ALL other GLORIES=GOD=whose name is JESUS (Phil 2:10) "Christ is not divided" (I Cor 1:13)!

2. Rich kelley profile image61

Azusa Street Revival was a demonic show of deception not verifiable with the Word, same act is going on today with holy laughter and other deceptions. Pray the Lord may free you of this type of spirit. God doesn't use mystics to explain His Word.

3. profile image51

Rich: "Baptism of the Holy Spirit"=demonic?(Acts 2:2-4;13) Behaviors considered to be outrageous and unorthodox? U're ex of "religiously correct." U call HS "mystics?" BLASPHEMY!

Pray the Lord free you from unbelief of what's written in HIS WORD!

4. profile image51

Rich: "Not verifiable w/Word?" Read Acts 2:2;13! Behaviors considered to be outrageous and unorthodox? "Religiously correct" r u? U call Holy Spirit "demonic/mystics?" BLASPHEMY!  (Mk 3:29)
      I pray the Lord free you fm "UNBELIEF" of HIS WORD!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)