What makes you understand that the person is lying or telling the truth?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Debangee Mandal profile image68
    Debangee Mandalposted 7 years ago

What makes you understand that the person is lying or telling the truth?

I think it is the eyes which speaks more than words. But most of the time I am deceived. Please help me with your experience.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13495698_f260.jpg

2. Ashish Dadgaa profile image46
    Ashish Dadgaaposted 7 years ago

@ Debangee,

Very nice question. As you said the eye is the one best way to know that another person is lying but besides that, you can observe by his/her body language. How he/she is presenting their point in front of you. How much there are trying to convince you to prove their lie truth. Or you can judge by their hands if an innocent person is lying for something then he/she must be trembling.

Debangee Mandalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Very true Ashish, well said!

2. Ashish Dadgaa profile image46
      Ashish Dadgaaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome smile

3. Terrielynn1 profile image84
    Terrielynn1posted 7 years ago

One way is if they give too much detail when you ask them a question. It usually means they were thinking about what they were going to say before they talked to you. Some people fidget and others thier chest goes red and they blush when they lie. Others won't look you right in the eye.

Yes the first point is a very valid one, thank you.

4. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13496106_f260.jpg

The best way of knowing if someone is lying to is by having spent a great deal of time with them so that you know their "telltale signs".
    In other instances you ask a question and there is a pregnant pause before they give you an answer, or they ask you why you're asking... to stall until they can come up with something.
    Some people show a sheepish grin or do a nervous laughter before composing themselves while others act insulted, angry, or defensive because you asked the question.
    Others avoid direct eye contact or they physically seem "uncomfortable" and start to move around the room (as if going to get something) while talking to you.
    Note: Some people are aware of the "avoiding eye contact" sign so they will do the opposite by staring into your eyes (without blinking). Essentially they're overcompensating!
    Sometimes people will give you a "quick answer" and then attempt to pivot off of the subject by bringing up a "new topic" or asking you about something completely unrelated.
    I once saw a movie where a male character got busted for cheating on his girlfriend.
    He said: "I lie to you because I care about your feelings!"
    I suspect one of the motives why people lie is because they don't want others to think about them a certain way or they fear they wouldn't be liked or loved if people knew the truth.
    More often than not people like impress others/get ahead or to avoid pain/punishment.
    Never (force yourself) to trust anyone. The onus is on them to (earn) your trust!
    If something doesn't (feel) "right" to you it's probably not right for (you). Don't ignore "red flags" or your gut instincts.

That was an excellent speech..

5. KsenijaZ profile image82
    KsenijaZposted 7 years ago

Yes, eyes, wondering here and there. Other body languages. But it's not always that easy, some people are great liars. Mostly I just get some feeling that something is not ok. Someone once told me - if you want to know if someone is telling the truth, ask him to tell you the same story again but backward wink

Well written, thank you so much.

6. profile image0
    threekeysposted 7 years ago

Some people are very good liars. They can look you directly into your eyes and hold  an expression that doesn't give anything away. And some people are just able to get away with their lies, where some people cannot. They say,  if someone lies to you about the little things in life you can never trust them with the big issues of your life. Lies of ommission and economical truths are just as hurtful or misleading. In trying to acertain if someone is lying to you? Takes time and practice and even then you may not know. But basically, if it just doesnt add up. If it doesnt feel right. There are also body language signs that can help to give you clues along the way.

Yes truly some people are really good liars, thanks again.

7. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 7 years ago

It is a hard one, but I can tell you that deceit is easier, when we love flattery and most of us do. Flattery can be meaningful and truthful or close to the truth with some embellishments added. It can also be way off. If he says that you are extremely beautiful, loving and kind. Is that you? Might be, but the point here is to assess his truth in relation to yours. See if it's too far out.

I knew one guy who wanted to marry a girl the moment he met her. But he played on her vulnerability, made many promises, got what he wanted and left.

How do we know? At best, I will say that there are good guesses and finally intuition. Repetition can be a no, no. The eyes, like you said and the dropping of the head. Great liars do not do this. I know of two cases where the guys were so good that one woman gave away about $1200 and the second was about to part with $2, 200. They both knew each other, (a life saver) but only one of the two guys, who also knew each other.

Women lie too, naturally. In your case, perhaps you are seeking a relationship. A monk told me only yesterday that he gave counsel to a devout scholar who was cheating on his wife. I say this to let you know that to err is human and being religious will not necessarily make any difference. Do the old fashioned thing: Dating.

Dating with alertness, asking decent questions and not rushing, will force the partner to reveal himself/herself sooner or later. We cannot truly hide character. It is the sum total of our personality and would be fairly easy to tell with time and an intuitive feel. Stay awake! But yes, faced with society's pressures, this can be a very difficult thing to do.

1. profile image49
      acmremovalsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

very nice article .

2. Debangee Mandal profile image68

Yes women lie too and there are several examples.

8. profile image53
    nidurposted 7 years ago

iskrenost ili istina je draocjeni poklon ne ocekujte ga od jeftinih ljudi !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)